string gauge

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I've used 9's for years. Not even sure why I switched to 10's at some point. Must be the SRV effect Beato talks about in this video. I just restrung 2 guitars with 9-42's and must admit my old fingers are enjoying this so far.....:thumbup:

• Same here... I'm gonna see If my synth tracks OK with 9's

A million years ago, I switched from 9s to 10s, based on Roland's recommendation for the G-707/GR-700. The manual suggested using that gauge for a purer fundamental than lighter gauges.

In terms of this video, sitting in the mix better for recording makes a sense. But, if someone has several guitars already set up for heavier strings, rolling off the low end when mixing makes more sense to me :)

FWIW, I started out with .007 on the high E string (LOL!), and moved to 8s when Live Wires quit selling strings. I moved to 9s to push the low end of the amp a little more, until I needed a Synth Guitar.

• I have 10s on all my electrics, bar three, that came with 9s from the factory (incidentally, my three favourite shred guitars) : Ibanez JS1000BP, Charvel Guthrie Govan sig and latest Charvel DK24 HSS SP. The Guthrie is by far my favourite guitar to play. Sooo good. It was when I started playing professionally full time that I moved to 10s over two decades back, coming from an Ibanez RG450 to a Tele, Strat and Les Paul. I don’t remember why I switched gauges. Back in my teens, I remember once trying 8s and finding them just too flimsy in feel and response, but back then I had no idea how to set up a guitar properly so probably hadn’t adjusted for them. I might try sticking a pack of 8s on one of my less-used guitars, maybe the Legator....

• I keep swapping between 10's and 11's. I also use those new D'Addarrio XT strings, which are awesome. Currently using 11's, guitars tuned to Eb. I also use the 'top wrap' method on the bridge, making the 11's feel more like 10's for bends etc. (both guitars are Les Pauls).

• I always had 09s on my guitars, except for the obligatory SRV year, where I managed to work my way up to 11s.

been on 09s ever since, but I favoured the sets with the bass strings from a 10 set, which was in hindsight quite idiotic.

Ever since I took more care in adjusting the pickup height and angle by ear, I realized that all pickups were severly slanted to get the bass strings far enough away from the pickups.

so I switched to 09s with ‚regular‘ bass string gauges - yay.

on my Gibson scale instruments I still use 10s, mostly because my Epiphone ES-339 P90 came with such a set and they do feel like 09s on this guitar.

and for some reason 09s on my Tele feel like 10s - go figure.

• When I started playing guitar 40 odd years ago, I used 8's. Somewhere mid 80's, I read an interview with Gary Moore who advised to use heavier strings so I switched to 10-46's. Never looked back, sounded way better (fuller/fatter) than the 8's and no more string breaks.

About 2 years ago I switched to 11-48, and a little bit later to 11-52's and it sounded even better to my ears. For long gigs with a lot of soloing, the 11's are hard on the fingers, so I now I use 10-52's on my work horses and 11-52's on guitars I play less.

After seeing that video a few days ago, I restrung one of my Les Pauls with 9-42. They are a joy for the fingers, but also feel kind of toy-like to play being used to 11-52's. Yesterday I tried the 9-42 during a rehearsal, and I didn't like it. Too thin sounding and not enough feel when playing a solo. So it's back to 10-52's.

• When I started playing guitar 40 odd years ago, I used 8's. Somewhere mid 80's, I read an interview with Gary Moore who advised to use heavier strings so I switched to 10-46's. Never looked back, sounded way better (fuller/fatter) than the 8's and no more string breaks.

About 2 years ago I switched to 11-48, and a little bit later to 11-52's and it sounded even better to my ears. For long gigs with a lot of soloing, the 11's are hard on the fingers, so I now I use 10-52's on my work horses and 11-52's on guitars I play less.

After seeing that video a few days ago, I restrung one of my Les Pauls with 9-42. They are a joy for the fingers, but also feel kind of toy-like to play being used to 11-52's. Yesterday I tried the 9-42 during a rehearsal, and I didn't like it. Too thin sounding and not enough feel when playing a solo. So it's back to 10-52's.

I heard that Gary Moore learned guitar on an acoustic with heavy strings and very high action and when someone handed him an electric in his teens he was able to fly around the fretboard. 10's probably felt like 7's to him :)

• Rick excluded some important factors like he has done in the past on other subjects.

1. The neck scale. It makes a difference if it's a 24.75 or a 25.5.

2. String action and the players style. Not everybody guitar player is playing old dad rockn'roll Rick.
    3. If you're a heavy hitter you will need thicker strings and the same is true if you want lower action. I saw a video with George(?)Young who replaced Malcom and he's such a heavy hitter he uses 13-56 string gauge and that's in i E standard. His picks didn't last very long either becuase of his playing style.

I bought a Ibanez rg3770fz second hand and the guy used 9-42 on it and....it just felt like rubberband so I sold the rest of the 8 packs he included in the price. So 10-46 is perfect for me in E standard.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• I think it was a great video to just say, hey... open your mind. Heavier strings are not ALWAYS better for tone. There are pros and cons for each string gauge and it is better to try and see what you get from each of them.

It is interesting to see so many of the forum members not recalling why they changed from 9s to 10s. The story has been the same for me. I think that simply when I started playing guitar 9s where the standard gauge and over time there was a switch to make 10s the standard. And we all went with it.

I now use 10-46s in the standard or drop D guitars and swich to 10-52 in the guitars I tune down to drop C. I play les pauls and use the wrap around method, so 9s would be too flabby...