Converting Crybaby Wah to expression pedal - change pot?

• I did try both type 1 and 2, neither reversed the direction of the pedal... If they just result in different response curves tho, that's harden to determine given the short throw of the pedal. If anyone could confirm whether "type 1" is best for a 10k linear pot that would save me a lot of uncertainty!

Seeing as you say "please", OK, I will shorten the wires ;) This is easy as it's the one place I didn't solder (wanted to make sure I'd connected it up right first!)

But as for the electrical tape, it's doing no harm, so it's staying, sorry!

I don't see any reason to solder the resistor directly to the pot either, but could be persuaded here if there's a good reason?

• I'm using type 1 and it works fine.

The resistor can be on the pot, on the jack, or anywhere in between (in the middle of the wire like you have it). It doesn't matter where it's at...we're not talking about grid resistors on a tube amp! The benefit to relocating the resistor to the pot or jack, is that you don't need to worry as much about it touching the case and grounding out...but that's not a concern if you insulate it with electrical tape or shrink wrap.

• Hi.. I'd like to do the same with my old crybaby.

Just to be sure, is this all I need?

That looks right - I didn't use a footswitch, though I know it is possible to wire up with a footswitch (think this might require another 1/4" jack and an additional cable to the Kemper however, but could be wrong)

• Hello Sollazzon,

When you want to use the momentary switch you will need another ¼“ jack in mono to connect it to one of the footswitch jacks on the remote or on the Kemper.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Manson DR1 Matthew Bellamy Signature Guitar, Music Man Axis Sport, Fender Nashville Deluxe Tele, Fender 52 American Vintage Reissue Tele 2011, Fender 69 American Vintage Reissue Thinline Tele 2011, Gibson 2015 Les Paul Special doublecut, Epiphone Wilshire Phant-o-matic Frank Iero Signature.

• Hello Sollazzon,

When you want to use the momentary switch you will need another ¼“ jack in mono to connect it to one of the footswitch jacks on the remote or on the Kemper.

Also, the footswitch has to be made for a wah - they’re slightly longer than an ordinary switch.

Ouch! I didn't understand it. X/

well.. when the order will be here, I'll go with the Without Footswitch Version.

I didn’t need any resisters

they both used a 1/4W resistor so.. I thought it was necessary

• Ouch! I didn't understand it. X/

well.. when the order will be here, I'll go with the Without Footswitch Version.

when you have got your momentary switch, put it in your pedal and adjust the height with the nuts. It works very well with my converted cry baby.

I used the tutorial from Strymon.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Manson DR1 Matthew Bellamy Signature Guitar, Music Man Axis Sport, Fender Nashville Deluxe Tele, Fender 52 American Vintage Reissue Tele 2011, Fender 69 American Vintage Reissue Thinline Tele 2011, Gibson 2015 Les Paul Special doublecut, Epiphone Wilshire Phant-o-matic Frank Iero Signature.

• yes I got You but I'm not sure I want to use both footswitch ports just for one pedal (one to turn it On/Off and the second to control it)

I'd prefer to keep one double footswitch I'm already useing to turn On/Off two slots.

I've always used a Spring in my whawha and I hope this will help to turn the expression pedal off correctly when not moving it (referring to V8guitar above)

• when you have got your momentary switch, put it in your pedal and adjust the height with the nuts. It works very well with my converted cry baby.

I used the tutorial from Strymon.

I also used the Strymon conversion which I don;t think had resistors..

Honestly I would avoid the footswitch...I spent a lot of time converting a regular crybaby to work with touch to avoid having to use a switch so for me the touch setting on the KPA is a dream, plus avoids the extra wiring.

• yes I got You but I'm not sure I want to use both footswitch ports just for one pedal (one to turn it On/Off and the second to control it)

I'd prefer to keep one double footswitch I'm already useing to turn On/Off two slots.

I've always used a Spring in my whawha and I hope this will help to turn the expression pedal off correctly when not moving it (referring to V8guitar above)

This is what I used.

https://www.strymon.net/strymo…our-own-expression-pedal/

I've not bothered with a spring as it seems to hold pretty steady and not trigger by accident much if you use bypass@stop

• I also used the Strymon conversion which I don;t think had resistors..

He used a 1k resistor: ''The “sleeve” of the jack is ground, so first connect that to the pin of the post closest to the footswitch. Then, connect a 1k resistor to the wiper (center pin) of the pot. Connect the resistor to the “tip” of the jack. Lastly, connect the pin of the pot closest to the jack to the “ring.” You’ve got an expression pedal!''

I've not bothered with a spring as it seems to hold pretty steady and not trigger by accident much if you use bypass@stop

I use the spring not because it moves, I like the way I need to press/push to Open the tone.. it's all about me, my preference.

• You know What?

That order/shipping never arrived to me (it actually never left USA and I got a complete refound for this)

BUT putting order in the clutter drawer I've found an old volume expression pedal fo keyboards (stereo) and an ''Y'' cable I've completly forgot to have.

The Pot inside is a B500K, no resistors anywhere.

I've connected and configured it as Pedal type 2, calibrated it, and IT WORKS!

I've done a quick comparison side by side with the Jimi Hendrix wahwah and it seems to sound exaclty the same,

well there's a lil difference due to the different range of the pedal (the expression has a wider angle from heel to toe but I guess it won't be a problem)

now I just need to find a proper spring for my 'new pedal'

• so I did it and (like the previous Volume pedale connected to KPA with a Y cable) Once configured it as Pedal type 2 and calibrated it, IT WORKS!

I kept the original Dunlop Pot and I didn't use any resistors an no switch, (I use a spring in the pedal and the wha is always setted ''stop at heel')

But Yesterday I had an Idea:

Do You think it's possible to ''daisy chain'' another one ? I mean to have 2 (or even 3) Expression pedals connected in series.

It's not my case but I was thinking about Big Stages and the need to have multiple wah connected each others in different places on stage.

I'd like to try like to connect them like this.

Do You think this will works?

• So.. I've converted another crybaby into an expression pedal.

This time I started from an Harley Benton WP-60 and

1) NO, It wasn't possible to connect them in series as I've initially supposed (see pic in the previous post above)

2) they have 2 different potentiometers, both originals:

the Dunlop HotPotz II Versus a ''B 100K'' on the Haley Benton

here is a quick video

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

the Wah Wah preset settings are:

Manual: 4.0

Peak 6.5

Pedale Range 21%

Peak Range -30%

Pedal mode: Bypass @ Heel (obviously)

Mix 100%

Ducking 0

Volume +3.0

The sweep with Dunlop pot is more Fast, ..not completly 'On/Off' but almost like that

the B100K is definetly more Linear, progressive, slow.

I'm still not sure which one I prefer. the Dunlop seems more aggressive, probalby I'll keep it for WahWah use and I'll assign the Harle Benton to Morph. we'll see.

Cheers,.. and Happy new Year Guys

• The sweep with Dunlop pot is more Fast, ..not completly 'On/Off' but almost like that

the B100K is definetly more Linear, progressive, slow.

I'm still not sure which one I prefer. the Dunlop seems more aggressive, probalby I'll keep it for WahWah use and I'll assign the Harle Benton to Morph. we'll see.

Cheers,.. and Happy new Year Guys

Really interesting and probably not that surprising as ( which I think is the conclusion you reached) Crybabys aren't really that progressive themselves and hence we are generally used to that.

Plus I got a chance to practice my Italian :)

Top stuff dude!