Great Hendrix strat sound - but what makes it..?

• Hello fellow kemperists.

I have been watching an older video of a demontration of the Fryette LXII power amp with the sound source from the Kemper.

At 3:10 he strums the guitar. According to Fryette the profile is "Pure Blues".

I really like the sound of the guitar in this video. A nice crisp Jimi Hendrix sound.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

But what is it that makes it sound like this.? When I play the profile "Pure Blues" I can't make it sound like this (using my '91 SRV strat)

Can anyone make this profile sound like on the video ?

I actually asked Fryette about this in the YT thread :

[Blocked Image: https://yt3.ggpht.com/a/AGF-l7_-eVwuxJDtwdsrfgyqhwkYpxXd3RsSZKZI=s48-c-k-c0xffffffff-no-rj-mo]  texasflooddk 5 years ago
    I like the sound of the strat in this video, but the thing I like, I think is related mostly to the strat model. I really like the sound off the start at 3:19. It is the kind of Hendrix sound I have been looking for. Crisp, not too dirty but with a nice bite on the attack. What model of stratocaster is this ? I have a '91 SRV strat (with Texas Specials PUs) Is it possible to achieve this sound ? I also play a Kemper through a Blueamp 2x12 FR-A cab. Which rig is used on the Kemper in this clip ?

[Blocked Image: https://yt3.ggpht.com/a/AGF-l7_PhhI7Lhtw0vxQjIwyR3YLiV8seMjlTg09Nw=s48-c-k-c0xffffffff-no-rj-mo]  Fryette Amps

5 years ago
    It's a 2004 or 05 56 relic. Guitar Center had a special "GC" model made with a flatter fretboard and fatter frets. Pickups are stock as is the 3 position switch. The rig and recording signal path is described in detail in the "About" section above.

[Blocked Image: https://yt3.ggpht.com/a/AGF-l7_-eVwuxJDtwdsrfgyqhwkYpxXd3RsSZKZI=s48-c-k-c0xffffffff-no-rj-mo]  texasflooddk 5 years ago
    @Fryette Amps
    Hi. Tkank you for your reply. I tried hooking up my SRV strat using the "Pure Blues" rig on the Kemper. It sound great but I can't get the same tone as you have in the video. I think it is much related to the specific strat model and very much to the pickups. I wouldn't think that the Valvulator will color the sound noticeable. Could also be the cabinet. Thanks anyway for your reply.

Best regards

Carsten

• Yes that's really a great tone , the cab plays a huge role in the fat tone and render. It's a real 4x12 on a poweramp if I understand well. We don't know where the recording comes from , room tone , camera ?

The valvulator certainly helps too. It looks that his signal chain is complex.

You should tune your strat to Eb , it's really important. An maybe lower the volume pot from the guitar a bit. Then adjust the gain on the profile until you're satisfied.

I reckon it's tricky to get Hendrix tone. Send me a PM and I'll send you my two Hendrix profiles.

• For another perspective on how Hendrix achieved his tone, check out this 1960 Tweed Fender Bassman:

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Wish this guy made profiles!

Kemper Powerhead w/remote & Kabinet
    Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms

• You definitely need to start with a good Strat tone. I don't think you'd get the sparkle and bite you need from Texas specials. Fender CS69 pickups, a good Strat, and carefully adjusting the pickup height (not too close to the strings) will be a good start. A lefty Strat with reverse staggered pickups would get you even closer if you want to start splitting hairs.

• You definitely need to start with a good Strat tone. I don't think you'd get the sparkle and bite you need from Texas specials. Fender CS69 pickups, a good Strat, and carefully adjusting the pickup height (not too close to the strings) will be a good start. A lefty Strat with reverse staggered pickups would get you even closer if you want to start splitting hairs.

I think you're right on the Texas Specials. They are good Pu's but they have a somewhat different character.

Also as waraba mention above, the signal chain and cab can be other parameters..

• For another perspective on how Hendrix achieved his tone, check out this 1960 Tweed Fender Bassman:

Wish this guy made profiles!

Wow, that just sounds great. Yeah, would be great if that guy made some profiles ,0)

• External Content youtu.be

According to the guy who made this video, in the Youtube comments:

"I'm using my 1964 Black Strat on this tuned down to D. This Strat has fairly weak pickups that match up well with the powerful Bassman."

Further down in the comments:

"Bright channel volume on 5, normal channel 1, treble 8, bass 1-1/2, mid 6, presence 8."

Kemper Powerhead w/remote & Kabinet
    Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms