Expression Pedals Compatible With Kemper

• Hello Kemper Enthusiasts,

Is there a list anywhere of what expression pedals are best compatible with the Profiler, I do already have a Mission EPK-1, but was wondering if any of you use anything else besides Mission Engineering?

Thanks,

"Music makes the world a better place. Music doesn't lie. If there is something to be changed in this world, then it can only happen through music."

Jimi Hendrix.

• Thanks for the reply, any recommendations besides KP-1?

"Music makes the world a better place. Music doesn't lie. If there is something to be changed in this world, then it can only happen through music."

Jimi Hendrix.

• I use a Roland EV-5 and a Yamaha FC-7. The Yamaha has a greater range of movement, is larger, more configurable, heavier and sturdier. Both have a non-detachable cable, which may not suit. I prefer the Roland, because its range of motion feels a bit nicer to me when sitting down. It's also easier to store and transport.

Neither would be as sturdy as a Dunlop Crybaby wah, so I use them respectfully and wouldn't be jumping onto them :D

• Thanks, I see what you mean they both look much lighter in construction, but if they do the job then nothing wrong with that. I really like the EPK-1 it's quite robust.

Jimi Hendrix.

• I used to own a Yamaha FC-7. it's got a massive throw that may or may not suit you. It's also got a spring that you can activate so that you can get some crazy flutter style effects when using a whammy or wah.

Another one I used was a Source Audio programmable expression pedal. This thing was crazy, you could even programme it to feed various LFO curves to the Kemper. That was pretty sick, especially after morphing was introduced, because you could have the pedal sweep through the different parameters using various shapes, or even randomise it. It also had multiple outputs, so you could control another device if you wanted.

Currently using a Dunlop DVP1XL. I like this because it's freaking big and heavy, a pain in the ass to transport, but once on the ground, it has a beautiful solid feel and I like the rubberised surface. When you set it to a position, it doesn't flop around either, and there isn't any dead zone at the heel or toe (a problem I had with my Source Audio pedal, though the cool thing is that you can calibrate where the heel and toe is on the pedal itself). The Dunlop does not anything special, but is excellent feeling and damn reliable. The only drawback is the weight.

• Thanks for the info nightflight :)

Jimi Hendrix.

• I had my Dunlop DVP3 broken and as I was a little upset that it not lasted longer than 2 years mainly in rehearsal room, I went for a budget Behringer FC600. Both pedals work well with the Kemper.

• Starbright, starbright, you've got the lovin' that I like

Turn this crazy bird around

Should not have got on this flight tonight

_______________________________________________________________________________

Just trying out the electro-harmonix dual expression pedal, which is made out of something pretending to look like metal and marketed as being made out of something else that the military allegedly think is tougher (no mention of tanks, which is rare for pedal marketing).

Initial thoughts are that it's noisy and cheap/rough-feeling on pedal travel and feels like someone 'cast it' from a 3D printer. Not impressed for nearly £70.

Anyone experienced the BOSS EV-30 Dual Expression Pedal? Only slightly more expensive, smaller footprint and made out of aluminium. Might be worth a try (I'm keen on a dual expression).

'The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.' B.B. King

• Thanks for the info, I still haven't made up my mind, at the moment I have one Mission KP pedal, it's great for what I need, I am in no rush, I think I might head out to some Guitars shops and actually demo some stuff with one of their Kempers in the shop, I can't stand buying something because it looks good online, and has good reviews, only to be disappointed and then have to go through the whole returns ordeal, with things like this I like to get hands on use before buying online. Maybe i'll just end up getting another Mission pedal :)

Jimi Hendrix.

• I think I might head out to some Guitars shops and actually demo some stuff with one of their Kempers in the shop, I can't stand buying something because it looks good online, and has good reviews, only to be disappointed and then have to go through the whole returns ordeal, with things like this I like to get hands on use before buying online.

I don't mean to sound preachie, but if you value the store giving you the opportunity to try their gear, the least you could do is buy it from them, most places will be keen to at least come close to online prices rather than have you walk away. Or else they simply won't exist.

Yours Sincerely

Small Business Owner / Employer

• Yes the internet has killed many small stores, this is a massive chain store, if I bought everything I have tried in there I'd have to take out ten loans, they do well enough, they are huge and have many branches here. If I decided to buy I would rather buy in the store as I can't stand waiting for deliveries, but only if it's within scope of the price online :)

Jimi Hendrix.

• I had my Dunlop DVP3 broken and as I was a little upset that it not lasted longer than 2 years mainly in rehearsal room, I went for a budget Behringer FC600. Both pedals work well with the Kemper.

I use a Behringer FC600 and just because I had a Bespeco, I use this for "Volume". Both don't use the complete pedal travel! The Bespeco in this case is really bad, uses about 15% to 20% of the whole pedal travel and I use it only to spare the tuning switch to switch off the sound. The Behringer use about 50% -60% of pedal travel, what is acceptable for me, but I wouldn’t call this working well. I've callibrated several times, but no improvement.

• Thanks for the heads up, i'll avoid that one.

Jimi Hendrix.

• i use the Mission for Wah only (I find it crap for anything else). I use the Boss FV500 for morphing. It works great, has a long travel and is build like the proverbial brick outhouse. The downside is it is huge and weighs a ton. I also have a a cheap as chips Zoom which also works well. Certainly better than the Mission but it’s plastic so isn’t as road worthy if that matters.

• Thanks, as far as weight goes that doesn't really bother me as it sits on the floor, if you're a busker I see your point. I like the KP-1 it does what I need it to do, I am not too bothered with too many tricks and all sorts of pedal settings, if it weren't for Kemper, I'd probably still only use a distortion pedal and maybe a delay for some solo's etc.

Jimi Hendrix.

• most expression pedals don’t have any complicated pedal settings. In fact the Mission is about as complicated as it gets with the added foot switch ?

the main difference between them is the length of pedal travel and the taper of the pot. They should all be a linear taper pot but as with all electrical components there is variance/tolerance so some might not be as linear as they should be.

the Mission has a Dunlop branded wah pot in it. As they buy the pots from Dunlop, I wouldn’t be surprised if they also buy the CryBaby casing from Dunlop or directly from their supplier.

the Mission travel is very short as it is a modified wah pedal. For some things this is perfect, for others less so. It’s main strength can also be its biggest weakness depending on the players needs.

I find my mission has the same problem as my crybaby (hardly surprising ?) in that the pedal eventually won’t stay in the heel position as the footplate is so heavy. You can retighten it a few times but eventually it just won’t tighten enough to stay in the heel position. This can be a problem if you like to use the ByPass at Heel option for you wah presets.