Now this YOU GUYS HAVE TO READ.....

• Hey guys...just had to write this as im still in slight shock....

This evening I invited a friend over to show off the Kemper to him to convince him that this IS the only way forward for guitar technology. It started well I showed him the effects section...showed him some profiles etc and he was still not convinced. He then said that his trusty old marshall plexi had such a tone that it was IMPOSSIBLE to profile...he brought it round and guess what....The kemper profiled it so well he turned nasty and seriously I thought he was going to either hit me or bust my kemper up!! Ive NEVER seen anything like it...His argument was that the Kemper should be made illegal as its no different to what napster and mp3s did to the music industry..in his words - 'music meltdown' He went on to continue that all the individual handwiring of amps thats takes years is simply stolen by the kemper. His idol is Reinhold Bogner and he said it would be 'so grim for that genius to go out of business' He owns an AXE FX 2 and sees no problem with the new eq matching but he is very heated over what he calls 'intellectual theft' of a amp maker. He even went on to say he will make it his life's work to post over forums spreading the word about the apparent theft this machine does. I think this is BULL S**T I own amps and I love to back up my very heavy Hughes and Kettner triamp and play through the kemper - saves me time and more importantly my back!! ;)

Has anyone else had this experience?? Or thoughts on the legallities side of the Kemper? Will it REALLY jeopadise future amp companies??

Oh and one other thing...his passing shot to me was ' Sell that unholy unit - and maybe I might respect you again..' I really think he is being a baby but I would love to hear your thoughts as I couldnt see and similar situations amongst Kemper users.

The debate is open... ?(

• I understand what he's saying but I strongly disagree...but I'm sure we'll see more of this. another forum-member tried to book some studiotime to profile some amps but was denied by the owner for the same reason. it's just ridiculous and it makes me think about when cassetterecorders came out and we got "hometaping is killing music" on the back of the recordsleeves....it's just sad.. :sleeping:

• LMFAO! :thumbup:

Good grief, that's hilarious although I'm sure it was more alarming than funny in person. It's probably more a case of envy than anything else and of course the issue of cost, when you've spent a lot on some beautiful amps an AxeFX etc and along comes this new kid with the big claims and it lives up to the hype then there's always the possibility that it'll put a few noses out of joint, especially if theyr'e fanboys. Anyhow, take it as a compliment, don't stress and go play some music while your child calms down and realises that his kit isn't suddenly worthless just because the Kemper can profile it and sound fantastic.

The Kemper wont put any amp manufacturers out of business, in fact in some cases people that own the Kemper have been inspired to go out and buy more amps based on the profiles they've used of those amps. The KPA exists solely to be used in conjunction with real amps after all. Bogner makes good money himself from Amp Sim's designed to sound like other amps through his Line6 work.

The other thing to point out to your friend is that the Kemper is just profiling one setting of his amp. Sure you can tweak it, but it's far form the full amp, and even if it were, would his amp suddenly be worthless? It's like imagining that photography makes fine art valueless.

Your friend just needs a sense of perspective, you've successfully blown his mind and you've discovered that not everyone reacts the same way to that event.

• I understand what he's saying but I strongly disagree...but I'm sure we'll see more of this. another forum-member tried to book some studiotime to profile some amps but was denied by the owner for the same reason. it's just ridiculous and it makes me think about when cassetterecorders came out and we got "hometaping is killing music" on the back of the recordsleeves....it's just sad.. :sleeping:

+1 This occurs evrytime new technology threatens established businesses. Same was said about writeable CDs and DVDs, cassette tapes, vcr tapes, movie rental, itunes, etc...

• Lucky - If only you had filmed his ranting response to his profiled Plexi...you could have sold the video on to CK as perhaps the best promotional video in music gear history....

Fading out with a big close up of a really really angry face face yelling nooooooooooooooooo.... :D

Suhr Classic Pro, Fender deluxe Strat & Baja Tele, Gibson ES335, Ibanez S Prestige 2170FW, Eastman AR371CE, Variax JTV > KPA > Patch bay inc. Strymons (Mobius, Timeline, Blue Sky), H9 Max, TC Triple Delay, & POD HD500 > Adam A7Xs

• LMFAO! :thumbup: ......;It's like imagining that photography makes fine art valueless.

Your friend just needs a sense of perspective, you've successfully blown his mind and you've discovered that not everyone reacts the same way to that event.

Right on! He was really saying "this thing is SO CONVINCINGLY REAL its scaring me!" And that came from an AxeFX user who owns a real Marshal too.

LOL....doesn't get any funnier than that! :D

bd

• I think your friend totaly missunderstoud the whole point of the kemper. YES it captures the sound of tube amps, but the kemper would be nothing, if it wasn't for great tube amps. So unlike modeling gear, like line 6 or the axe-fx, it rather appreciates and helps those good old amps. Of course not everyone will want to buy a tube amp to profile it. Many users will be happy with the profiles others made.
    Still, every single profile is only possible, because someone, somewhere bought an amp (and a cabinet, and a microphone etc).

• If your friend wasn't an Axe user, his argument would carry a little more weight, but he is using a unit (the Axe), that exists for many of the same reasons as the KPA.( a wee bit hypocritical to me).
    At least if you buy a KPA, instead of the Axe, you will still have about $700 left over to buy an amp(-:
    So Kemper is really helping to keep amp builders in business.
    Plus we need amps to profile, and the Axe doesn't.

Edited once, last by imall41 ().

• Im still feeling slightly overwhelmed by the whole incident...i really should have videoed it...i might try to rile him up and call him to come over again and this time record him in action :D I just think he feels hard done by the axe fx and thats why he took that stance...after all i paid 1250 for my kpa vs his nearly 2500 (i think) axe fx 2. I feel slightly bad about sharing his profile...weve been friends for some time...and you get the picture..It was the first time ive seen the guy go so wacko :P

• Agree with the comments above!!! This is the best advert ever!!!

...now, where is the stolen profile of that Plexi? :D :D :D

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• 1. Upload the rig to the exchange
    2. Take a screen shot of the all the 5 star reviews... showing at least a 100 downloads.
    3. Set up camera - then show him the screenshot...
    4. Leg it.

We could perhaps set up a thread to post captures of the best outraged responses of (former) friends.

I hope he eventually sees the funny side of it...I'm sure he will. Perhaps then you can get some more snapshots of the Marshall. 8)

Suhr Classic Pro, Fender deluxe Strat & Baja Tele, Gibson ES335, Ibanez S Prestige 2170FW, Eastman AR371CE, Variax JTV > KPA > Patch bay inc. Strymons (Mobius, Timeline, Blue Sky), H9 Max, TC Triple Delay, & POD HD500 > Adam A7Xs