Now this YOU GUYS HAVE TO READ.....

• I don't care how big the Kemper gets there will be people and professional musicians who will always use everyday amp combos and heads. There will be plenty of people on this site sharing their rigs. It would be great to have a buddy who runs a guitar store, just bring in your Kemper after hours and Profile the heck out of what amps you want. I will probably get my Kemper after most of the little gremlins are worked out of it. It is a computer plain and simple and with any computer your going to have glitches and problems. They will be worked out in time. It's no different than downloading a Beta copy of the newest version of Windows or any other OS. Don't get it right after it's first released.
    P.S. Your friend has probably skipped a few days of his meds like somebody has already said. LOL

• ..You kindda hear this a lot from folk (Funnily enough mostly axeII users, pre ver6.0) - "Oh the Kemper is just a rip off", and "this will put great small luithers out of work" - now they have ver 6.0 - all of a sudden its ok.. funny that!

FWIW..I think we all had a thought like this at one time or another, but untill you actually get one, play it, profile a lot, you understand that its not the same as having the actual amp, its just recording a snapshot of what your doing at the time.

But I never did meet anyone who got nasty about it : )
    Jelous you think?

• I bet he already has one on order ;)
    Did you let him pick it up? And then carry his head home? Sold!

Guitars-Lifeson Axcess Red, Lifeson Axcess Brown, Iced Tea Axcess stop tail, LRP Sig 57
    Amp-Axefx2, KPA, G5, GSP1101, RCF, QSC, Matrix, EHX-Mag44

• Whoever heard of a "Xits" amplifier? I sure haven't. Was it not for the KPA I would have NEVER heard of a Xits amp. Checked it out on youtube and I like its sound. The number of existing amp manufacturers out there is prolly staggering and would go unnoticed if it wasn't up to some device that broadens their exposure. Come to think of it... not only does the KPA help broaden the various amps exposure but ALSO amp mods, speakers/cabs and microphones.

your friend is kinda weird HAHAHA LOL

CH

• Well, as we all know amp-simulations/profiling or whatever they call it,
    are only getting better, and now with the Kemper that you can copy your own amp(s) with an excellent result
    is something new in the ampmodel-industry, and will for sure open for a lot of questions about right and wrong!

Bugera have lately had a problem with their amp... Trirec, because of some copyrights, and the day Kemper or
    other companies can make a copy with 100% tone and feel of a real tube-amp, i might think there will be some lawsuits,
    and i'll guess its just a matter of time!

I'm not going to sell my tube amp(s) over any digital unit yet, but i think feel and sound wise it is getting very close!
    Will (big and heavy) tube amps be obsolete in 10-20 years? Who knows, thats the future like it or not!

All the best! ;)

• As obsolete as vinyl records are today! I think that a good tube amp will always get the favour of the perfectionists and "connaisseurs" who don't need more than a couple of good tones in their arsenal. Man, a good tube amp will always sound good! But the volume of amp sales will certainly dramaticly drop at some point for sure IMHO.

I will buy the KPA even if I already know that I will sell it in three years for the new better Kemper II or else and at something like 60% of the price I paid... BUT I will always keep the two tube amps I prefer because they will always be what they are! While the Kemper-1 will become the new obsolete digital device. ;)

Pierre

Edited 8 times, last by Pick909 ().

• If a 30 year old tube amp doesn't become obsolete because it still sounds good, why would the KPA become obsolete if it sounds good???

bd

That's a good question. Until now all, and I say ALL, the digital preamp devices I used became obsolete and I would never want to play them again because the new ones sound sooo much better. But my amps still sound good. Why? Because while we want hard that modeling and digital technology work for us, because it is so easy to carry and so versatile, until now it was never ( I speak for me ) as satisfying as playing a good tube amp rig. We always hope that the next step will be the right one, the one that will make us to sell our tube amps and say: "Hey I really don't need them anymore!". This day you'll be right. For the moment I can't see myself playing a Pod 2.0 bean with a real nostalgic pleasure as I would do with a good old Fender Bassman... ;)

BTW, as i said, I should get a KPA very soon and who knows... Maybe it is that good? Maybe somebody will play it in 30 years saying: " Ah! Nothing compare to this good old Kemper 2012!"

PIerre

Edited 2 times, last by Pick909 ().

• Regardless of how good the Kemper is I think over that timespan it's more a question of whether it'll last. It's a lot easier to fix an old handwired tube amp when that goes wrong long after they stopped manufacturing it.

• Regardless of how good the Kemper is I think over that timespan it's more a question of whether it'll last. It's a lot easier to fix an old handwired tube amp when that goes wrong long after they stopped manufacturing it.

Good point and, considering this fact, the ones still working would just worth even more! :D

Edited once, last by Pick909 ().

• I think everyone will be shocked at how long a solid state device can last....we really don't know. I sell and service industrial electronics and some of my devices have been running 30+ years in harsh conditions. Capacitors are really the only items that age...especially if undersized. Caps and rotary encoders are simple to source and replace. DSP chips and opamps typically don't wear out like tubes, caps, transformers, and hand wired terminations....time will tell.

I'm glad the KPA is made in Germany. They have a good reputation for quality control.

bd

• I think everyone will be shocked at how long a solid state device can last....we really don't know. I sell and service industrial electronics and some of my devices have been running 30+ years in harsh conditions. Capacitors are really the only items that age...especially if undersized. Caps and rotary encoders are simple to source and replace. DSP chips and opamps typically don't wear out like tubes, caps, transformers, and hand wired terminations....time will tell.

I'm glad the KPA is made in Germany. They have a good reputation for quality control.

bd

I agree.
    I still have a high end, German made stereo, I bought in 1971, and it still works great.
    As a matter of fact, it's 190w, and I was thinking of giving it a try as a power amp for the KPA :)

Not to mention, my Mutron Bi-Phase (40+ yrs. old), which I recently sold, in perfect working condition, pots and all.

• Oh, it's not about how solid it could be and last... but more about the sound. For in that domain, it's a very simple equation.

A digital device needs resources (DSP) to produce and/or reproduce an analog signal. The more accurate we want to be, the more resources we need. That's the reason why a Pod HD does sound better than a Pod 1 or 2, because they include a more powerful DSP. That's also the reason why the Axe-FX II sounds better than the first model because they include a dual DSP, one for the Amp modeling and another one for the rest (cab, stomps, etc..).

Back in the first digital devices, they weren't that much powerful, and then not as close as an analog signal (real tube amp), because to sound *right*, you need to include imperfections because Tube (as any Analog device) aren't perfects and do have variations behaviors that makes the sound to be non-linear.

But there's one major rule in technology: The Moore's Law that said that a processing device double its power every 18 months. We all know that in computer systems, more and more powerful. Digital Amp Simulator are exposed to this exact same rule. And the more power we get, the closer to a real device it will sound.

So the only last question in the equation is: How close do you want it?

Because, it comes to a point that a users can't hear any differences because he's limited by the human being's own limits. Even the best of the best musiciens or sound engineers will have a point he can't make a difference between two signals. It's like if you have your screen to read this message, you can see differences between each words, now step back 10 feet, can you still read it? Some yes, some no... Ok, now step back 100 yards from the screen, can you even see the screen with your naked eye? I don't think so...

Digital devices (from Analog Synth, to Amp simulation, etc...) will go to a point the embedded power will be sufficient enough to be as close to the real devices they're reproducing than any human being couldn't tell which one is the original and which one is the copy.

I think the KPA is really close to this point... and if sometimes we can still hear some differences, there's no doubt than 18 months or 36 months from now, it will be even better and even closer that will eliminate the last tiny things we could still hear now.

And no worries about the evolution of the human being, the human genome is progressing over millions of years, not 18 months :) So Technology is progressing way faster than the human being and we're standing just right at the moment where the technology is catching with the human being.

So with this question out of the equation, there's absolutely no any difference regarding the future of an Analog device (such a Tube Amp) and the future of a Digital device (such the Kemper).

Sorry for being long, but I wanted to bring the whole explication instead to just affirm it.

Phil