Lead volume boost - best practice for the performance mode

• Hi All,

I would like to ask the community for the best way to programm and handle volume. I have several rigs with rythm and solo sounds and have difficulties in getting a consistent volume (increase) over all rigs/Performances for the lead.

- how to you recieve or generate a consistent volume over all Performances?

Actually my lead sounds are organized in a separate slot/rig within the performance which has a ~ +7dB programmed/defined rig volume. I have organized my Slots as playparts within/for a song (eg. rythm dis, solo1clean, solo2dis,...). Can you please give me an idea how you handle solo volume increase and how your trigger it in context of a solo part:

- are you using a volume pedal for volume increase (I could use a Mission KP1 which is used for Wah actually)?

- do you use morphing (and how is this programmed in your scenario)?

- do you use a on board booster (which is limited in dBs unfortunately)?

- any other ideas?

Many thanks to all for their Replies :!:

Hannes

• For almost all the Rigs I use, I have a different approach - I use the guitar volume control. I set the gain of Rigs for lead sounds with the guitar at 10, and turn the guitars down to the 6 to 7 range (depending on the guitar) for rhythm.

The only exceptions to that for me are 80s Clean Rigs that don't need more gain for single lines. For those Rigs, I use Morph to increase the Rig Volume.

• I actually have an eq set in slot X, with a bit more mids and a little highs rolled off. I put the eq on a few dB boost and lock it (or copy it to every rig in the performances). I use the effects in the Kemper like an fx-board that I used to have. That way I can give every rig a solo-boost, when necessary.

• I use 2 separate slots in performance mode for my solos and increase rig volume +3-4 db. I also use morph on those solo slots to increase delay or reverb or whatever effect a song calls for. Lots of varied approaches suggested on this thread. Just shows the versatility of the Kemper.

• I morph the amp volume, which has the same effect as morphing the rig volume but is easier to manage as a) you morph from 0 to +3 in amp volume rather than having to mentally add 3db to the rig volume value and b) you do not need to readjust the morphed value again when you change the rig volume.

• So far: MANY THANKs for your comments and tips on that topic. I hope there are comming some more :S

I used the volume poti on the guitar, but you always loose gain - depending on the rig, Position 10 isnt always good sounding - on the one Hand, on the other when changing live a guitar, eg Strat to LP or SG, you really need to be used to the knobs for neck or bridge humbucker when operating … :saint: The Strat is perfect as this point.

There are definitely many ways to raise the volume. At the end of last year I bought a db-meter to measure the rythm and lead volume (and to adapt it). This was unfortunately not achieving 100% accuracy as expected ...

• When solo boosting worry less about manipulating your volume (which can throw off gain structure at the board if you boost it too much) and more about adding mids. You can do this with a stomp box ( tubescreamers add mids) or with an EQ block and a drive much like the Tone Junkie tips and tricks videos do to emulate stomps that arn't in the Kemper. Or you can have a lead performance where the amp mid knob is boosted. There are tons of ways but you want MIDS not necessecarily volume. Volume is perceived when you hear the guitar start to cut wit the added mids. Small volume boosts (1-3db) can be ok but it still won't do much for you unless you are manipulating those mids.

• I morph in some gain and mids +/- delay etc to taste.I don’t really add volume.

When solo boosting worry less about manipulating your volume (which can throw off gain structure at the board if you boost it too much) and more about adding mids. You can do this with a stomp box ( tubescreamers add mids) or with an EQ block and a drive much like the Tone Junkie tips and tricks videos do to emulate stomps that arn't in the Kemper. Or you can have a lead performance where the amp mid knob is boosted. There are tons of ways but you want MIDS not necessecarily volume. Volume is perceived when you hear the guitar start to cut wit the added mids. Small volume boosts (1-3db) can be ok but it still won't do much for you unless you are manipulating those mids.