Live set up

• All, could I ask you for your opinion.

I want to set up my Kemper for live use, my live setup is, kemper - Marshall 9200 stereo - Engl 2x12 with vintage 30s.

I don't have the luxury of setting it all up at gigging volumes, and hate Tring to do it on the stage.

So my question is, how close would it be if I went direct into a set of monitors etc, and found a similar sounding or corresponding IRs, and set it up with backing tracks, live tracks etc.

Do you think it would be close?

And would you use professional studio monitors.

Thank you all.

• Hi, I'll try my best to help - but not entirely sure what it is you are asking?

Live and using the power amp (I used to have the same golden beast as you) you need to have monitor cabinet turned off in your output menu.

This will allow you have the FOH sound with cabinet emulation (from main outs), whilst having it off for your backline signal (monitor out to power amp).

If you are asking how close will a profile of V30s be to the sound coming from your cabinet - well, it will sound like V30's but mic'd up. There are approx one billion profiles containing V30s on the rig exchange and you should use rig manger to lock everything apart from cabinet and scroll through some until you find what you like.

In order to tweak your profiles for FOH - in order of accuracy/best results in my experience:

1. Use a high quality FRFR speaker - as loud as you are permitted.

2. Use high quality studio monitors - in a properly treated room.

3. Use headphones

If you do not have access to these, then my best advice (other than finding someone who does that lives close to you) is to rent a studio for a morning. Profile your amps and cabs - or take a laptop with you and try profiles (either commercial or rig exchange) and do your tweaks there with the help of an engineer.

Best of luck, and let me know if I didn't answer what you were after!

Cheers,

Greg

PRS Custom 22's - Fender Strats - Diezel VH4 - Carol Ann OD2 - Toneking Imperial MK2 - Colin the Kemper - CLR Neo ii.