Acoustic Simulation

• I don't get the criticism. I want to record an acoustic guitar, I use a mic. If I want to play a whole gig with an acoustic, i take an acoustic. If i want to play a gig with a few sections where i need to swap quickly between, I'll use this.

It sounds really good to me. Definitely not like a world class acoustic guitar in the room but enough to service the song and please the audience.

• I don't get the criticism. I want to record an acoustic guitar, I use a mic. If I want to play a whole gig with an acoustic, i take an acoustic. If i want to play a gig with a few sections where i need to swap quickly between, I'll use this.

It sounds really good to me. Definitely not like a world class acoustic guitar in the room but enough to service the song and please the audience.

I fully agree. Those disappointed with the acoustic sim are missing the point. In one of the videos CK explains it will never be a perfect acoustic guitar, but thinks this is one of the best effects of the kind.

The whole point is for an electric guitarist playing live that has one or two moments of acoustic in a set. This sim (and free update) should blend well in a band mix.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• I think that it sounds really good from what I have heard. It won’t be replacing my Martin D28 in the studio but that Martin wont be going on the road either.
    For me, it’s a very convenient way to replicate an acoustic for a few song in the set.

This comment didn't get enough likes. I can't agree more to this.

I have played for 5 years with a Line6 Pod HD500X and got a lot of compliments from different audience members (musicians from different levels and non-musicians).

My upgrate to Kemper was only for my personal pleasure.

If we take the same into consideration, I would not record a world class album in a world class studio with an acoustic simulator - however - most of us "everyday joes" play in a bar with little to no regard on caring to our equipment. Happy to leave my acoustic at home for a decent simulation.

:)

Nice profile, but does it go to 11?

• The vids sound very good.

Ad a little bit of overdrive or an Octaver and you will get very interesting sounds beyond the "sufficient acousting SIM within the recording/live-mix"..like an overdriven dirty twelve string acoustic for example..

Still I have the strong feeling that a big chance for doing something very unique with this SIM is wasted.For example I bet it should be possible today to simulate different body sizes of an acoustic guitar.Or to ad some specific features (double or sympathetic strings for example) with a push of a button.

I hope there will be some upgrades in the future which will make this SIM more interesting.

• As I said some days ago in another thread..I am disappointed.Not about the sound ...for sure it will be very good and I will use it a lot.

But I still have the strong feeling that there is know how I nnthe Kemper Camp for having this SIM delivered from the start with more options.

As it will be I will still need a Octaver to get the double string sound.Also I will need to "get messy" in the fx section to make it sound more "experimental"(sitar etc)..

I still hope there will be some upgrades in the future for this SIM.

• I don't need a perfect acoustic simulation. I would like to have a sound like I heard in the video; another colour on the palette. I could use it for an intro, pre-chorus, bridge, any kind of transition. It would be great to have another tool in the kit. And yes, I'd be happy to have the kind of sound for a straight acoustic song now and then.

• It is a matter of how you look at things. You deemed the Kemper worth purchasing as it stood at the time and now you are getting something extra for free.

I wish the bias mod on my 6505 had come for free:-)

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• I even purchased two..and really love them..this was for sure not my issue..

As I said.I am sure that the guy who did the virus series can do better with an acoustic SIM than just creating "another very good one"..

As ST said in the post above..

It would be nice to have more "colours".

Even the first digital modeler I ever tried in my life(axsys212) had an acoustic SIM which was not that bad.That was back in 1995.

Few years later L6 did the Vetta with sitar and dobro Sims..

20 years later..we should have Sims of several different acoustic instruments which sound miles better than the axsys/vetta stuff back than.And by "miles better" I mean lightyears..

• I've just relistened to the original clip in this thread. It sounds as good as or even better than most DI acoustic guitars to my ears. I've rarely heard a really nice sounding plugged in acoustic; I've been fooled whilst playing one, only to hear it played back and found it sounded almost nothing like what I was hearing. But I've seen artists on the biggest stages thrashing away at something which just doesn't sound like an acoustic guitar to me. If they're content, then the convenience of this will be very appreciated.

• I've just relistened to the original clip in this thread. It sounds as good as or even better than most DI acoustic guitars to my ears. I've rarely heard a really nice sounding plugged in acoustic; I've been fooled whilst playing one, only to hear it played back and found it sounded almost nothing like what I was hearing. But I've seen artists on the biggest stages thrashing away at something which just doesn't sound like an acoustic guitar to me. If they're content, then the convenience of this will be very appreciated.

So true!

The sound you want from an acoustic guitar on stage depends on what else is on the stage and the role it plays in the music.

An acoustic guitar in the context of a band serves a different need than an acoustic guitar played solo or as the sole accompaniment to a vocalist.

I've long ago given up on the mythical unicorn - an amplified acoustic guitar that sounds the same guitar without amplification.

When is an acoustic guitar no longer an acoustic guitar? When you amplify it.

What I heard in the clip, along with I expect we'd be able to do with it in the Kemper, will work for my needs on an amplified stage.

ST

• I’m really looking forward to the acoustic sim, as mentioned by so many others, to be used in a band context when an acoustic is needed.
    I have postponed all ideas of getting either a separate sim pedal or a piezo equipped electric.

At the moment I’m using Tonedeckster profiles found on Rig exchange. Even some of those gives an acoustic-ish sound in a busy band mix with another electric guitarist. I bet the new acoustic sims will be even better.

Any parameters to tweak the character of the acoustic sound will be a welcome feature.

Kristian

Gibson Les Paul Std Brimstone, Fender American Elite Stratocaster, Gibson Blueshawk, Yamaha APX5, Epiphone 335 Dot
    Kemper Head & Remote, RedSound powered cab, Line6 Relay G10, TC Helicon VoiceLive 3