Profiles suitable for recording - current state of play, some questions

• Hi tone chasers,

I'm fairly new to Kemper but not to recording, have been profesionally involved since the 90's. I got one for home so I can do quick, ampless overdubs but I'm finding very little hits and a lot of misses with profiles.

I've been making my way through the 1000's of them from the well known guys and others, and have found that a good proportion seem ok for playing loud and live, but don't at all translate well for recording. Anyone else finding this?

They range from a bit meh to lifeless and dull, and require heavy, heavy eq'ing to work in a typical rock mix. From recording cabs I know that some eq and other processing might be necessary, but I've never had to wind in some much high end (and often low end) and reshape the mids like I do with the many of these profiles - including very popular ones spoken about on this forum and others.

Some of the STL stuff (Benson and Bendeth for example) sound about right - they're present, crunchy and can slot into a mix with moderate and typical processing. They are way too bright for live playing, and that's to be expected.

I've made my own profiles of my Plexi and I'm very happy, it sounds as it should. I don't own a roomful of Bogners and Diezels and don't really want to hassle all my friends for loners of the precious toys... so who else caters for the studio crowd?

Cheers.

• Well many will disagree with your opinion and not alla profiles work well with some guitars/pickups. Some needs to be tweaked a little and others not. Some profiles sounds great on all of my guitars and with other profiles don't work at all with one guitar/pickups.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• All depends on you purposes, I find for my self, ive ran through nearly 30k different profiles so far from a lot of makers.

And everyone has a mix bag, depending on if your going to be doing live playing, or recording...its great because there is something for everyone.

Im no expert and have only been dealing with kemper for nearly 5 months lol so take this for whatever its worth. but I feel like I have a decent ear.

I find the most success differentiating based on your purpose...recording / live. Now there are similarities between the 2 - you probably are going to want to drop high and low cuts into the profiles regardless so your not hammering frequencies into 20hz and 30K all the time.

Then youll most likely need to tweak Definition and Clarity to taste before Squashing it with more eq would be my recommendation.

When recording I like to combine 2 different profiles so you get a blend of different mics or cabs...that's where youll have some fun with the sounds coming alive... like anything isolated guitars typically sound like shit, once combined or mixed into a mix then you get the goodies pop out.

For live use your going to utilize eq a bit more since your needing to shape things as if you were recording into a desk technically...this can be the more annoying because it all depends on the dynamic of your live mix.
    But of course Find a profile that jives with you > Eq the crap you don't want to hear=- always try to cut in eq vs boosting things. And keep it as simple as possible and you might find your spot where it cuts.

If your not into the crazy high gain stuff and want more rock I would steer you towards The Amp Factory or Top Jimi.

Ive been impressed lately with what the amp factory offers in variety and they are really keen on making sure the Definition nob actually has a function and headroom to tweak to your taste.

cheers

• I may be in the minority here, but I've always found profiles made by others lacking in some way. So I went the route of really spending time and effort profiling my own amp. Heck, no one knows your own preferences better than yourself, so you can really dig on to the smallest details. After a couple years I have two or three my own profiles that I use over anything else. ?

• I may be in the minority here, but I've always found profiles made by others lacking in some way. So I went the route of really spending time and effort profiling my own amp. Heck, no one knows your own preferences better than yourself, so you can really dig on to the smallest details. After a couple years I have two or three my own profiles that I use over anything else. ?

I think I'm getting to that place myself, although I don't have the patience to do it over a few years!

• BuhoCiego Please, don't shoot the messenger ?, but you are not allowed to post here. See the rules of the "Third party Rigs discussion":

"This section is for all our users to discuss commercial third party rigs. Authors of those offerings are not allowed to open threads or post into existing threads. Any other form of commercial offering, raffle etc must also not take place here. If you're an author of a commercial pack discussed in here and you feel the need to comment you need to do this via PM to the poster in question.

Note: we've changed this policy in 4/18. In order to avoid confusion authors of commercial offerings must not post here at all."

Again, NOT my idea, rule, opinion... just wanna let you know.

Edited once, last by Ibot39 ().