Updating Kemper and rigmanager with windows 7?

• Hello everyone!

I am currently updating my Kemper to the current and latest release but I still have a a windows 7 computer. I noticed that the current version of rigmanager requires a minimum of windows 8. I also tried to open the current backup from my Kemper via the way of changing the file to a .rar so that it can be uncompressed and used as files, but this apparently no longer works with the current Kemper format. So here are my questions:

1) is there any way to uncompress a current Kemper backup and see the files similar to the old switch to .rar way?

2) is it possible to add my new and old Kemper profiles directly to the usb stick without using rigmanager under the current Kemper format?

3) do you foresee any problem using the current Kemper release with an older version of rigmanager and is it possible to still download that file?

4) should I quit being a cheap bastard and buy a new computer? ;)

Thanks everyone! I apologize for any noobness but unfortunately I have been away from music for close to two years and things have seemed to change quite a bit. Any help that you could offer me would be greatly appreciated!

• Being an IT guy, I would recommend getting an updated system. As an alternative you can attempt a VM like Lespauled suggested. You may need use a 3rd party hypervisor like KVM or VirtualBox. Configuring the USB passthough might be a bit tricky but it can be done. I know it will not happen but I would love to see a Linux compatible RM3 come out.

• Being an IT guy, I would recommend getting an updated system. As an alternative you can attempt a VM like Lespauled suggested. You may need use a 3rd party hypervisor like KVM or VirtualBox. Configuring the USB passthough might be a bit tricky but it can be done. I know it will not happen but I would love to see a Linux compatible RM3 come out.

Thanks, I appreciate your response. I guess I will just start shopping for a new computer. Mine is over 10 years old anyway.

One more question...can I update the Kemper and add new rigs without using rigmanager? In other words, can I just add the profiles directly to my shared folder on my formatted USB stick and import them directly to the Kemper without using rigmanager at all?

• One more question...can I update the Kemper and add new rigs without using rigmanager? In other words, can I just add the profiles directly to my shared folder on my formatted USB stick and import them directly to the Kemper without using rigmanager at all?

Yes, you can update the Kemper OS and import rigs without RM. Many here have often stated that there is no need for an editor since all of the functionality can be done without RM.

• I updated Rig Manager in Windows 7 a while back and it stopped talking to my Kemper which is on OS7 or something - it looks like I need a new Windows 10 Computer to reunite them (something I never budgeted for)

Sad, but the Kemper is usable without RM and now I don't really miss it

Truth be known I still pine for days of Windows XP...

• As Sollazzon wrote! With RM 2.3 you can explore a backup file and use what's inside as if it was any folder.
    And you are right, backup's file structure has been changed and it's not .rar-like any longer.

Still chasing a worthy one :/

• I updated Rig Manager in Windows 7 a while back and it stopped talking to my Kemper which is on OS7 or something - it looks like I need a new Windows 10 Computer to reunite them (something I never budgeted for)

Sad, but the Kemper is usable without RM and now I don't really miss it

Truth be known I still pine for days of Windows XP...

Windows 10 is excellent. Budgeting for a new PC every 10 years isn't something that Kemper is forcing on you. Nobody is going to invest in making their software compatible with Win 7, XP, 98, 95...

• I bought a Windows 10 10" tablet from Ebay for £50. It allows full use of the editor. I still have my Windows 7 box for recording.

I'm happy to spend £50 to keep things going as I prefer.