Preamp-Only Profiling: Poor results

• I tried profiling some distorted pre amps today with very brash high end and must say the Kemper profiled all the harsh top end.
    SO that said, there seems to be no ultra high freq filtering I was suggesting.
    The profile was near exact....
    So Im not sure what problem you were having.

• Short comparison clip, back and forth between the Kemper and the Mesa Quad. 4 notes of each. Starting with the Kemper.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3202762/Kemper%26Quad.wav

Yeah, that´s really obvious. Did you refine the profile? Sometimes users have reported that they got better results by not refining.

• Yeah, that´s really obvious. Did you refine the profile? Sometimes users have reported that they got better results by not refining.

Yep that's after refining, without refining the differences are a good deal greater again. Palm mutes really highlight the differences, when just strumming chords or playing leads the differences aren't as obvious since those styles naturally don't demonstrate tightness like palm mutes do. If I just strum a G chord switching between the Kemper and Reference I could easily think the results are spot on. It just comes down to what I'm looking to get out of it, if I didn't deal with metal playing it's inaccuracies wouldn't be as evident or bothersome.

• I heard a difference in EQ between the Kemper and reference in your track.
    I took your track and split each piece.
    I eqed the Kemper or first heard piece to match the original reference pre amp.
    I found there was a level difference as well as a difference in the low end and a tiny bit in the top.
    I added 5db at 190hz and -1db at 6k.
    Easily done with the Kemper studio eq after profiling. Its a snap to do.

Here is your track with the Kemper part eqed and leveled out.
    I only spent a few minutes on it but you can hear how much closer they sound.
    (Kemper first then reference)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10233188/kemper%20fix.mp3

Quoted from "FearComplex"

Short comparison clip, back and forth between the Kemper and the Mesa Quad. 4 notes of each. Starting with the Kemper.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3202762/Kemper%26Quad.wav

• Is it not possible to upgrade the firmware so that you can choose a cabinet
    of your choice that is already in the Kemper BEFORE you make a preamp-only profile,
    since Kemper seams to need a full rig for best results!

I myself have made a pretty good profile of a preamp-only, but i would not call it perfect!
    Refining a preamp-only is making it worse, at least what i have tried, but i'm getting some good tips on this forum
    that i will try out eventually!

Maybe this is not doing any good, but would have been fun to try out! ;)

No.
    Many users have made perfect preamp profiles.
    Let me ask you again what firmware version you are on.

Edited once, last by ETS ().

• I profiled my DIY preamp too. The result sounded very good, but not very close to the original - but I didn't care :D

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar