Advice for mixer for live gigs

• I have been trying to make up my mind regarding what brand and size. Ideally, I want to have the most compact set up. These are some of my needs: XLR & 1/4 outs, at least 1 auxiliary/monitor out, at least 2 XLR inputs, at least 1 stereo channel (for my keyboard), and another channel to run an aux cord/VCA cables. Most of what I play is background jazz/pop. Upon these descriptions, there are some specific Soundcraft, Mackie, and Yamaha models that come to mind. The issue with ones of these dimensions is that they have AC cords/adaptors that are hard/empensive to replace. Ones with 4-6 XLR inputs generally don't have these issues, except for them being largish/bulky.

Some colleagues/friends have suggested to get something larger, because "one never knows". I am not sure if this will happen anytime soon, hence my trepidation. But I recognize that it would nice to have. It would also be nice to have some EQ, some effects, and combo input jacks.

With these things in mind, are there any suggestions either for the way to approach this or what mixer to get?

vidmate mobdro word counter

• I've used wide range of analogue and digital consoles for a variety of purposes on both sides of the musician/engineer fence. You've made some valid points there, and I would agree that you should definitely have a standard IEC power input rather than an external supply. The three manufacturers you mention make reasonable budget mixing desks, but I would highly recommend looking at Allen & Heath. I've used a ZED 10 FX for small gigs (solo / duo / trio) and rehearsals for years. It has 4 XLR inputs for mics but the option of TRS inputs for Line, so you don't need combo jacks. Additionally two dedicated stereo channels with 1/4" and/or RCA inputs. The main outputs are XLR but you simply need XLRf>TRS cabling if your destination is going to be 1.4" TRS. Sounds great, but look further up the model range for more i/o for a larger band.

I used to have a PA20, which I really liked the ergonomics of, plus the output parametric EQ and sensible routing options (background music mode, foldbacks etc.). They discontinued them but I'm looking to pick up a PA12 second hand, I miss it so much.

I can't say I've been overly impressed with Soundcraft or Yamaha. Mackie Onyx stuff was alright back when I used to use it, but below A&H in terms of preamp quality and ease of use in my opinion.

As for the 'future-proofing' argument, it's true that you can quickly run out of functionality. I would look at getting more than one aux/foldback output on a desk. For example, two or three pre-fader auxes (may be labelled foldback busses) and one or two post fader (for internal and/or external effects). A&H and Mackie have widely adopted inbuilt effects. In general the basic hall and room reverbs are ideal for live use, and you have the option of hooking up outboard as well/instead if you prefer.

Ed / Audio Systems Engineer / Kemper Stage + Fender fan