STL Tonehub Guitar and Bass Plug-in

• https://ask.audio/articles/stl…bass-plugin-now-available

"...The technology behind the ToneHub audio core is based on a hybrid engine, combining STL proprietary Tracing Technology and analog modeling at its finest to get the most accurate sounding snapshot of a guitar or bass chain, from pedals to amps, cabs, mics and preamps with the possibility to change the settings maintaining an impressive degree of realism. This is an unprecedented leap in algorithm advancement..."

Interesting!

Edit: https://www.stltones.com/products/stl-tonehub-plugin

Edited once, last by Ibot39 ().

• Can ToneHub replace my Kemper or Axe Fx? : Simply put, yes!

Me: Hell no! No ampsim comes close enough no matter how much anyone claim that. They all have that ampsim kind of sound no matter who made the ampsim. If that was the true, no one would buy anything like a kemper or axe fx, would they? I'm so tired of all marketing bs. X/

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• Can ToneHub replace my Kemper or Axe Fx? : Simply put, yes!

Me: Hell no! No ampsim comes close enough no matter how much anyone claim that. They all have that ampsim kind of sound no matter who made the ampsim. If that was the true, no one would buy anything like a kemper or axe fx, would they? I'm so tired of all marketing bs. X/

That’s a bit of a bold (useless?) statement without having tried it, isn’t it?

I love the kemper (obviously), always have and always will.

But you are aware that it’s still just a dedicated computer running software/an ampsim, aye?

A KPA is not an analog amp or anything, it literally is a hardware device/computer to run one piece of software/ampsim on.

Granted, it’s a great one and the software sounds great!

But assuming that “software will never sound as good as a kemper” is a bit of a weird statement since what makes the kemper sound that good isn’t really anything different than the software it’s running...why shouldn’t another piece of software be able to get equally good or even better results?

to me the tonehub does just just (I might be biased, but that’s my honest opinion).

Does that make me like my kemper less? He’ll no, it’s a great piece of kit!

but I also have more than just one guitar or amp in my studio, different tools for similar but different jobs.

• I don't understand why advertising something that the user cannot use, for example, Advanced Tracing Technology.

Just like with TH-U.

well, there are guitar companies that advertise plek adjusted fretboards and precisely CNC’d neck pockets....they still don’t give you a plek-, the CNC machine and all the templates so you can do it yourself, do they?

Of course not, they’re selling guitars, and they’re advertising what’s making their guitars better than the competitors’...still they only sell the product and not the machines to make the product

• Yes I know a kemper is a sort of a ampsim. But there is a big difference between a kemper, Helix or Axe and few others I can't remember now that are hardware. Typical ampsims are emulations and all dev's claim their emulations sounds identical to the hardware amp. Yes we've heard that many times and let's face it it's all bs. It doesn't matter if it's a emulation of an amp or a synth or SSL channelstrip etc etc. Most ppl have never used a SSL or own a old vintage synth that's emulated and can't compare. Does it really matter? Well no. If users like it it's all good. But lies works and maybe telling the truth it's an emulation that sound quite close to the original probably won't sell enough. Ppl want to be decieved. But that's another story.

A typical ampsim is made to be intalled on a computer and made on a computer. A computer is made for multi purposes such a working tool on all companys today. For streaming netflix, watching clips on YT, listen and watching music, downloading,as wanking machine, et etc. A smaller group of ppl use it for playing and making music.

A kemper, Axe etc are made for a specific purpose: as a multiamp(s)with effects. All PCBs in the device are in their for that reason and make it as good as possible. With a typical ampsim on the computer that's not possible and therefore they won't sound as good. Maybe in the future with much better and faster computers. Or we just need to install and insert a small pcb loaded with stuff and voila! it will sound as good as a kemper. But for now, no nothing comes close enough on the computer. I have tried nearly all ampsims that exist and I have not been impressed enough. Sure they become better but still not good enough for me to sell my unit. So a bold statement? No not at all after all my tests and experience and seen throu the hype and agressive marketing bs. E.g blind tests have been done with cheaper and expensive mics and ppl can't tell the wich one is which. It's not me who have to live up to a statement. The music industry isn't any different from, say the fashion industry. It's all about selling a dream and make them open the wallet. Oh and of course you're biased Lasse. :)

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• A kemper, Axe etc are made for a specific purpose: as a multiamp(s)with effects. All PCBs in the device are in their for that reason and make it as good as possible. With a typical ampsim on the computer that's not possible and therefore they won't sound as good. Maybe in the future with much better and faster computers. Or we just need to install and insert a small pcb loaded with stuff and voila! it will sound as good as a kemper. But for now, no nothing comes close enough on the computer. I have tried nearly all ampsims that exist and I have not been impressed enough.

No, it is not. the electronics is "just" a good analog frontend to convert the signal, a CPU and /or DSP and a digital to analog convertion chain.

The convertion is very good on the Kemper (or Axe,...) but not better than any good sound card.

The latency is more controlled on dedicated hardware, not relying on interface (USB, Thunderbold) latency, driver latency and OS latency (Windows/LInux or OSx are not real-time OS : the modern CPUs are fast enough to ensure audio "real-time", but it will never guaranty that will never pop or crack

CPU/DSP are chosen to be cheap , just enough powerfull for their purpose ... but yes a 1000€ intel CPU is powerfull enough to process the 15€ DSP of the Kemper :)