Adventures in tone design ... Blaxploitation

• I'm still working my tone design skills, this time with some great soul & funk tones.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I took some profiles of my beloved 70's amp ( unknown brand Dakota , made in Italy ) and tweaked it to mimic the tone of the late 60's era in soul & funk recordings.

I made the recording using a full hollow on buckers, both rhythm & lead tones, the dynamics are huge and the vibe is really warm & vintage. The gain cannot be used above 3 , or it will lead to shrill trebles. Same story on the bass, same profile, different tweaks.

The wah is a preset based on an old vox wah from the huge wah collection thread.

If there is any interest in these , I'll make them available for free. This one sounds good on strat , hollow & so on

Let me know ,

R

• Enjoyed the stereo aspect a lot with those guitars clearly panned to left and right. Very nice and patient groove. Cool thing

Thx Michael, I used an extreme panning mainly for illustration purposes, I like to mix this kind of tracks in a more intimate feel most of the time.

About the patient groove, yes that's the key to be at the total opposite side of the shredding champions , the slowhands ;)

• Hi Renaud

I'd like to hear more - and try those presets out for myself, too. Nice, warm tone with a good groove. Etherial, slow-hand groove with a solid bass line is a nice change from the norm.

:thumbup:

'The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.' B.B. King

• I really like this jam and the tones. Well done! My favourite so far

I'd like to hear more - and try those presets out for myself, too. Nice, warm tone with a good groove. Etherial, slow-hand groove with a solid bass line is a nice change from the norm.

Thx a lot guys , there is a long version , but still WIP , I plan to add vocals from my singer later. I might arrange the track a bit more , with rhodes and maybe strings, for a great soul track.

The presets will be available soon too.