New Studio Monitors

• Hi All,

I'll start by saying I never liked the tones heard from using studio monitors with PC - DAW amp sim plugins. So many use this type of software and monitors but it never worked for me. I tried some quality monitors but again never was satisfied with sound.

Have had my Kemper for a few weeks now. Started off using DI profiles into my guitar cab - speakers and it sounds great. Few nights back I tried some headphone (Grado - not reference style) and thought things sounded real good. The powerful tweaking tools of the Kemper are evident when turning knobs. Had me thinking perhaps I should try monitors again as I wish to take advantage of cab - speaker modeling (and IR's) as heard through the headphones.

Purchased a pair of Adam A3X's which arrived today. Set them up and only had time to play for a bit but really liked what I heard. Look forward to giving them a good workout tonight. Not sure this is a "good" question but any hidden Kemper or profile settings that can be tweaked to get the most out of studio monitors? I liked what are heard using minimum tweaks to an amp or even an added EQ,

Figured it was worth a post.

Dave

• Hi Dave, congrats on your Adam monitors. I use Adam's A7x for quite some years now with my DAW and with the Kemper. Really great value having all what I expect from studio monitors in that price range.

As for the settings I would just recommend to look into the Pure Cabinet and Space parameter in the Output section (page 5). Usually I do not tweak any of those neither for headphones nor for the monitors but from what I hear it could be interesting for you.

• Nice thanks! Yes been moving those knobs a bit and notice some nice, subtle changes depending on the profile. That was my initial thought about the Adam's (good value). Had Genelecs in the cart but not so sure for a few hundred US $ more there would have been that much difference. Not a recorder or mixer just like to play guitar.

Cheers!!!

• Not sure this is a "good" question but any hidden Kemper or profile settings that can be tweaked to get the most out of studio monitors? I liked what are heard using minimum tweaks to an amp or even an added EQ,

It's not a matter of trying to get the most out of the monitors, Dave.

Now that you have a more-accurate picture of how any given Rig sounds, you're in a better position to make meaningful tweaks; it's as simple as that, really.

The fact that you're now able to make minimal adjustments and actually hear what's going on is testament to the fact that it's a revealing upgrade IMHO.

Well done and congrats, man. ;)

• i only ever use my A7x at home and they sound great. However, I have put in a LOT of time and effort treating my room with some serious bass trapping etc which definitely helps ensure that ai am hearing what the speakers are putting out accurately. Don’t underestimate the impact your room and speaker positioning have on what you perceive the tome be like.

• i only ever use my A7x at home and they sound great. However, I have put in a LOT of time and effort treating my room with some serious bass trapping etc which definitely helps ensure that ai am hearing what the speakers are putting out accurately. Don’t underestimate the impact your room and speaker positioning have on what you perceive the tome be like.

Yes great point going to look at some room treatment over the next few weeks. :thumbup: