How to get more sustain with low gain?

• Hey guys

I'm learning some Pink Floyd stuff at the moment, and currently on Shine on You Crazy Diamond. The first few solos are relatively low gain, but I can't get sustain on the notes. Any tips?

I'm using the free AC20 profile with some light delay and reverb btw. No other pedals yet

• A freqout pedal?

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Maybe a compressor can help ?

Or get a "Sustainer"pup like the one on some Fernandes guitars :/

Cheers !

The adjective for metal is metallic. But not so for iron ... which is ironic.

• A compressor should be your first choice here.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• It will of course depend on the guitar's intrinsic sustain as well. They are not all equal. If you instrument has any value, and regardless the specific issue you're writing about, it might be worth pleking it.
    The advises you already received are good.

One way to emulate the "cabinet proximity" would be to hang a pair of open headphones to a mic stand driven to a very high volume and play with the PU very close to it ;)

Still chasing a worthy one :/

• use the compressor to add sustain.

Turn intensity up to suit i normally use between 6 & 7and roll pack the gain on the amp profile.

I normally drop it in the 1st slot.

Make sure your noise gates arnt turned right up also.

Check and roll back abit

• Hey guys

I'm learning some Pink Floyd stuff at the moment, and currently on Shine on You Crazy Diamond. The first few solos are relatively low gain, but I can't get sustain on the notes. Any tips?

I'm using the free AC20 profile with some light delay and reverb btw. No other pedals yet

In addition to all of the above you have to turn up the volume, quite a lot. You won't get this sort of tone/interaction playing quiet/using headphones.

• A freqout pedal?

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Hi, great pedal, but it doesn't add note length - in terms of 'infinity'.

It does keep the volume of the note audible for longer - as a comp would - for as long as you are vibrating the string with your finger.

So the OP would need to think do they want the note to be audible for longer with the feedback harmonic element (in which case this is an excellent choice) or do they just want the natural sounding guitar note to be audible whilst played for longer, in which case a comp would be the best bet.

Cheers,

Greg

PRS Custom 22's - Fender Strats - Diezel VH4 - Carol Ann OD2 - Toneking Imperial MK2 - Colin the Kemper - CLR Neo ii.