Fryette Power Station - tell me it's worth buying?

• I don't want affordable solution, I want the best of the best that can be sucked out of Kemper.

Anybody uses it? Can you you compare it to other solutions? Maybe also standalone Tube PowerAmps or smth like Seymour Duncan Power Stage 170 (solid state poweramp).

If you got samples played by Kemper + Fryette PS - show me please.

Convince me :)

• Fryette has their demo with the Kemper online, but it may be completely EQ'ed and post processed. It sounded great and I'm looking into one as well. I'm going to watch this thread so we can learn together whether it's worth the price or not.

• Absolutely this is for their LX II Rackmount which I was also considering, but this and the power station I would assume sound very similar. Just the clarity and definition alone were enough for me to start really looking at Fryette.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• These are the amps I went through before the Power Station...

ADA t100s: I already owned this prior to the Kemper, still love this amp, lots of clarity and non-coloring but I wanted something SS

Rocktron Velocity 300: Sounded ok, very heavy

Stewart Audio PA-50b: This one sounded GREAT but needed more power

Matrix GT800: Great response and attack, but started coloring the tone at higher volumes

IcePower 125asx2: After learning Kemper used IcePower modules, I bought one and build a little backbox for it. Sounded as good as the PA-50b, clean and flat through all volume levels, but I felt it was still missing something.

Fryette PS-2: Couldn't be happier, has the response and attack like the Matrix, very clean and flat like the IcePower. I liked it so much, I sold my powered Atomic CLR and bought the passive version just so I could use the Power Station for both cabs and FRFR. I can quickly and easily use the presence and depth knobs to adjust for the room so I never have to touch the KPA when setting up.

• Don't know if this helps as you're perhaps looking for just a power amp but I've been an avid Rivera fan for years and finally got around to trying my Kemper in to the power amp section on my Rivera Fandango 100 watt head. It sounded fantastic! The main reason I'd call your attention to is is the fact there's a focus knob with a 'pull warm' function that still operates whilst going direct to the power amp so you can 'tune the speaker' on the fly without having to adjust parameters in the Kemper. Great if you need to take off top end/ add extra warmth + all Rivera stuff is built like tanks, used them for 10 years in a covers band and never had an issue.

• Don't know if this helps as you're perhaps looking for just a power amp but I've been an avid Rivera fan for years and finally got around to trying my Kemper in to the power amp section on my Rivera Fandango 100 watt head. It sounded fantastic! The main reason I'd call your attention to is is the fact there's a focus knob with a 'pull warm' function that still operates whilst going direct to the power amp so you can 'tune the speaker' on the fly without having to adjust parameters in the Kemper. Great if you need to take off top end/ add extra warmth + all Rivera stuff is built like tanks, used them for 10 years in a covers band and never had an issue.

Thanks Linkster for your tip. I am looking for poweramp only though. Cheers!

• I also have the Fryette PS-2, I use it as a reactive load/attenuator to tame my tube amps.

The tubes that are in the PS-2, are a pair of 6L6's; this will color the output more than a Class D amp would. So if you like Fender profiles, the PS-2 with the 6L6's should sound incredible to you.

If you gravitate more towards Marshall profiles, the Fryette PS-100 is not only 100W, but it has KT88 tubes, which would compliment the Marshall profiles a bit better (maybe negligible).

Either choice will work well.

Kemper Powerhead w/remote & Kabinet
    Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms

• I have a Fryette 2-50-2 and a PS2. The only thing I don't like about the PS2 is that it only has a single input but dual output. I like to stay dual output from the KPA so haven't been using the PS2. The KPA manual discusses the use of a tube power amp and recommends the use of a digital power amp to avoid a tube profile feeding into a tube power amp. I thought both the tube and digital power amp sounded great with the KPA and since the digital is lighter, I've been using it.

• Wow, hard to imagine this… the TC unit must be surprisingly good.

It's not anything special, just a well-engineered Class-D amp that's designed and built in house (as opposed to using ICEPower OEM modules). But, at the risk of being repetitious, it's not flat at neutral control settings and has a lot more gain than a dedicated power amplifier. By my measurements you need to setup this way to get something close to flat:

• Bass @ 10 o'clock
    • Mid @ 3:30
    • Treble @ 10 o'clock

Also, for reasonable gain staging be sure to have the input gain around 10 o'clock and volume about the same. Then back down output from the Profiler to get sound level in the ballpark. If you try for performance level with BAM200 settings on the low end you run the risk of overloading the instrument preamp stage.