Considering a purchase kemper unpowered head

• hi

Been looking through web for as much info as poss.

Currently have Boss Katana 100 and I am just a bedroom player.

Not entirely happy with distortion tones through the katana, after lots of fiddling, and various pickup types.

Heard lots of good reports about Kemper.

I have a few questions.

Interested in all Guns n roses stuff

AC/DC using my Epiphone Les Paul.

Interested in U2 and Dire Straits using my Single Coil Fender Strat.

Interested in not annoying neighbours but at least I live in detached house, so no knocks on the wall.

So with the above requirements, and armed with what I have gathered so far, would this setup work?

Kemper non powered head (toaster)

Remote foot switch

2 Yamaha hs7 for stereo

Would this work at comfortable in house volume levels especially Guns n roses distortion.

Thanks I would appreciate your advice please

CSC:)

• This aspect is independent of amp / modeler you'll choose, I guess. Of course you'll have better experience when you'll crank things up, because on top of great sound you'll also have great feel (air moving, vibrations - which contribution to overall experience is very important). Kemper sounds and feels awesome in my opinion at any volume (I'm mostly bedroom musician as well playing low volumes most of the time). And you have headphones option as well, in worst case. Since it is a very personal taste thing the best you can do is probably just to check it out yourself - if you're not happy you can always return the unit (they give 30-days to try it out).

• This aspect is independent of amp / modeler you'll choose, I guess. Of course you'll have better experience when you'll crank things up, because on top of great sound you'll also have great feel (air moving, vibrations - which contribution to overall experience is very important). Kemper sounds and feels awesome in my opinion at any volume (I'm mostly bedroom musician as well playing low volumes most of the time). And you have headphones option as well, in worst case. Since it is a very personal taste thing the best you can do is probably just to check it out yourself - if you're not happy you can always return the unit (they give 30-days to try it out).

Thanks, that's good advice, do most users have a Cab for home use?

• Welcome to the forum! I use my powered speakers at home. They sound fine at the lower volume IMO. I have a variety of these, and all are fine (DXR8, DXR10, LD Systems Maui 11).

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Thanks, that's good advice, do most users have a Cab for home use?

Not necessarily. I use my studio monitors (Adam A7x) at home for Kemper, DAW and for listening to other music. All at different volumes and it all sounds pretty well.

Just watch out that you won't get that amp-in-the-room feeling without a cab and without cranking up the volume. That may be difficult in the first time but once you get used to it you will rather appreciate the flexibility and the great sound of the Kemper.

• I have an unpowered Kemper into a Focusrite 18i20, which connects it to both my PC, powered Monitors and FRFR. So, yes it will work for bedroom levels.

Also, understand that these are profiles of AMPS. It's not like a modeler that creates "patches" to sound like someone. These are profiles of the amps that your heroes use. There are always a ton of built in effects to help you dial in that exact sound, without changing the dynamics of the original amp.

• well I think Studio Monitors are what I will need, so now I just need to know what killer Studio Monitors are advised.

Music I play on Guitar = Slash Guns n Roses Appetite stuffing the Les Paul of course

U2 and Dire Straits Sultans on the Fender Strat

So as you can see I flit between Distorted and Clean

So I reckon from what I have read, Stereo pair required for best results.

Powered or unpowered..is this an option!

Happy to throw max of £700 $800 €800 whatever your shackles are :) at the speakers.

As always your advise is much appreciated

Cheers

• Personal taste applies here. I prefer the bigger sound of the cabs ...

personal taste applies everywhere Dan ?

whatever, sounds good to the person playing is good. For me I’ve spent 35 years gigging and being frustrated by having to use guitar cabs on stage. Getting the Kemper and some IEM was a revelation that finally freed me from that and allowed me to hear myself on stage and also sound more like the studio sound I like. However, I understand I am a bit of a weird fish and in the minority in that respect.

• Keep in mind that low volume is never that pleasing to the ear. I use headphones to get that "onstage with Pink Floyd" feeling at decent, but not damaging levels without bugging the neighbours or my family.

• Couple of comments from me:

Personally for bedroom playing, better to tune the sound to a consistent output, e.g. studio monitors or whatever. I don;t think a cab will give you much else at lower volumes in my opinion.

This is going to sound nuts but...also consider this is a top piece of kit, massive rungs above the Katana...if you are not using it for recording much or gigging then perhaps a HX stomp might be good enough. Not trying to talk you out of it as I think the Kemper has the best sounds but...I would definitely consider whether you need the remote? To me its a gig tool primarily or if you are doing a lot of switching in a recording session... Perhaps consider the stage...

I'm saying this so you can save the pennies and get another guitar :)

...and welcome to the gang!