Reamping with S/pdif -> weird sound

• Hallo good people.

This is just to be sure, that I'm on the right path here. Using S/pdif for reamping sometimes causes a weird and buzzy (really really bad quality and noisy mp3) sound. I use Cubase 9 and when reamping I select S/pdif 1 as output on the DI signal. And I select S/pdif 2 as the input on the reamped track. Cables are connected correctly. I experience that sometimes the reamped signal sounds like it should and sometimes it's bad.

Has this something to do with making sure that the S/pdif input/output in Cubase only must be in use on the specific tracks (the specific DI track and the reamped track). I've got a lot of tracks that has been reamped and therefore a lot of DI tracks as well. Sometimes when I'm done with a certain DI track/reamping, I don't turn of the S/pdif input/output. I just mute the channels. But does this mean that the buzzy sound I get is, because the Kemper and the S/pdif work around the mute button, so all DI tracks that has the output set to S/pdif 1 will be routed to the Kemper?

• Well, the reamping with Kemper and Cubase works absolutely flawless here. And I have good results all the time - given that the routing and the levels are clean, i.e. no interfering tracks in the reamping process etc.

I just mute the channels. But does this mean that the buzzy sound I get is, because the Kemper and the S/pdif work around the mute button

To me it sounds a bit like the track you send for the reamping sometimes is "not alone" in the signal path. Could be another track which is still unmuted and goes via SPDIF as well, could be output of reverb plugins etc. as well. You need to make sure that all tracks which are done clearly don't have SPDIF as the output incl. their send effects.

• I only solo the selected DI track and the track for the reamped signal. But yes....some of the other DI tracks still have S/pdif assigned as in/out, but they are muted. I guess that S/pdif is active anyway on those tracks and therefore send all DI tracks (those with S/pdif still assigned as output) to the Kemper and mess up my reamped signal.