Sound cutting in and out while playing

• Hi all,

I noticed that while I am playing in (Performance Mode) the sound is cutting in and out from the original sound saved in the Kemper.

What would be the cause of this, and how to I correct the issue?

Thank you!

• Are you using a powered KPA? If so it could be the power amp protection kicking in.

I got my my Kabinet this week and in my ex to get going I only pushed the speaker cable 3/4 of the way in. When I started playing the sound was cutting out every time I played a chord even though the wattage meter was recording less than 20w. The sound was also MUCH quieter than it should have been. I was in the process of emailing support I report a bug when I found out the speaker cable wall the way in. Pushed it in fully. Ducked for cover as the volume coming out the Kabinet suddenly jumped to punching a hole through a brick was level with no hint of cutting out.

• Yes, the Power Rack.

The issue stopped for now after I had checked the cables. Even when I checked the cables everything seemed in place, however I went back to the Clean Sens and adjusted this from -4.5 to -2.5 and not sure why, but the issue has stopped.

I am also going through a 300 watt speaker and not sure if this is an issue since the power amp is 600 watts. I bought the PA speaker at 300 watts because the Music store didn't have anything higher and since this speaker is only for at home practice amp, I thought that it should be okay, unless I am mistaken?

I am looking into the Kemper cab for our jam space but is this Kemper Cab able to take the 600 watts power fully?

Derik

• 8 ohms.

So, if I buy the 200 watt Kemper Passive amp, what would be my maximum volume on the Kemper Power Amp? Not that I plan on going that loud, but it would be nice to know the limit so I don't accidentally blow the speaker.

• The PA is made my Yorksville and I want to make sure that if I am setting my tones with this and then play live with the Kemper, that I 'll get the same tones out of the venue monitors.

If you have any recommendations that would be great!

Current set up:

- Kemper Power Rack --> Connected to 8 ohm Passive 300 watt Yorksville non powered speaker (From Speaker output of the Kemper to the speaker)

- Front input of Kemper to my Guitar.

• I'm afraid I haven't ever tried a Yorksville speaker (they aren't available in the UK)so can't comment on how it compares to the venue's monitors. Up until now I have always set my sounds on my studio monitors. Basically you want to use something that is as flat as possible to ensure that you hear when the profile actually sounds like. Every system will be different but if you know what the true sound is like then you are off to a good start.

• Here is the sound issue I am having, Still haven't figured this out. Do I need to do a software update>? I haven't done one yet and the version I have is 7.1.4.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Tried unplugging the remote and problem still occurs. I haven't used the headphone output.

I am honestly thinking it's the speaker at this point because at a loud enough volume, the issue does not occur and only between a low volume range.

I am not an expert with equipment yet but from just logic, I feel that if it was the Kemper Amp itself, the issue would be at any volume level, but then again I have no real clue.

I am going to bring my Kemper Power Rack to the music store and try different PA Passive speakers and see if I get the same issue. If the issue is not there with a different speaker, then it would be my PA Speaker that is the issue, and if the issue is present however with other speakers, then I know it's the Kemper.

All of this is very confusing so far but at the same time I am learning a lot by researching. I hope to god that I didn't spend $4000 for a default Kemper =O

• I am having this issue as well (I have not reviewed your video though).

Edit: I am not having the same issue as OP. That sounds very different than mine.

My issue: The volume drops slightly for just a second, every 20 seconds.

Thought it was my new PA (Headrush FRFR108) but audio from a phone doesn’t so it and the device isn’t clipping. If I get it solved I’ll let you know. I think it’s a recent 7.1.X+ firmware issue, but can’t be certain.

• I am having this issue as well (I have not reviewed your video though).

The volume drops slightly for just a second, every 20 seconds.

Thought it was my new PA (Headrush FRFR108) but audio from a phone doesn’t so it and the device isn’t clipping. If I get it solved I’ll let you know. I think it’s a recent 7.1.X+ firmware issue, but can’t be certain.

is your sound completely cutting out then coming back?

In Derik’s video the volume isn’t dropping its more like a phaser swooshing across the frequency range.

if the volume is cutting out it is almost certainly the power amp protecting itself from overloading.

EDIT

i just realised you are using a powered speaker rather than a KPA powered head or rack. In that case, it’s more likely to be an input limiter of some sort on the Headrush.

• No effects on ?

Only one cable from KPA to the powered cab ??

Same "sound drop" with low volume ?

Same result with other rigs ?

Output settings on KPA ?

Input settings on cab ( if any ? )

Just Brainstorming ....:/

Cheers !

The adjective for metal is metallic. But not so for iron ... which is ironic.

• I guess, narrowing in is more efficient than brainstorming. Facts beat speculations.

In deed it sounds more like a phaser. As I see there is no active effect in the signal chain. I have no idea, how the PROFILER could be the origin of that issue.

Headphones connected to the PROFILER would be an easy test.

You could start at the HEADPHONE OUTPUT then try

Have you exchanged cables and guitar?

Have you tried to connect any other powered monitoring equipment instead of the Headrush?

What if you fed your smart phone into the Aux in of your PROFILER?

How is the Headrush connected and is this the only monitoring equipment connected?

Could it be that you have two XLR cables connected from the MAIN OUTPUT of the PROFILER to the two inputs of the Headrush and mixing those in the Headrush?

• The sound is not cutting out, it just drops slightly.

I’ll test again with studio monitors and try troubleshooting using Burkhard’s tips.

In the meantime I’m not sure if it’s a limiter - my Kemper is on -25dB on the global volume. Using any profile this happens. For instance the stock Morgan AC20 at these levels. No clipping indication on the Kemper or HR. The HR is between volume 2-3.

The Headeush

• Oh , Ok . sorry for asking the "wrong" questions in an attempt to "narrowing in" on the problem ....

Also sorry for calling it "brainstorming" instead of "thinking out of the box" ..... My bad .....

I´m not offended, but how is my "speculations" worse than yours ?

We even ask the same thing about whereas he use 2 cables or one ?

"Facts beat speculations " ... Here´s one fact : Slot A in stomp box section IS ON .......

( Probably Gate )

But what do I know .... I´ve only played guitar for 50 years and worked as a professional

sound engineer for 30 (with my own P.A. ) so I guess I better zip it 8o

And again, I´m not offended, just wondering what this forum is for, if not trying to help

and give ideas to each other ???

Cheers !

The adjective for metal is metallic. But not so for iron ... which is ironic.