Kone replacement for my 4x12 V30 loaded cab

• Hi All

kind keen on theses speakers and seeing if anyone else is going to go down the route of replacing existing with the Kones

would 4 direct replacements work? or is it best to mix with the V30s

Any thoughts?:)

• mixing them with the V30 will sound “strange”. In my opinion that will sound terrible but you might like it ?

the problem would be that the Kone software would either be On or Off for all 4 speakers whereas you need it to be on the Kone but off for the V30. I tried a valve amp through the Kone and it sounds terrible (as you would expect of a full range speaker). I have also tried the Kone impressions over a real EVM12L and it also sound wrong. In this case I don’t think two wrongs will make a right.

• mixing them with the V30 will sound “strange”. In my opinion that will sound terrible but you might like it ?

On the other hand if the cab has 2 inputs it could be setup at 8 or 4 ohms as two separate 212s. Once side could be the V30s and the other could be the Kones. Would also make for a real cool demo video for Kemper, setup an A/B switch and the you would have the ability to direct compare the real speak against the imprint.

• But that would be a sort of either or speaker setup in a large unwieldy box rather than a speaker mix.

I have been giving the A/B demo comparison some though over the last few days but I’m still not sure how it would work. The point of the Kone is specifically to get the “amp in the room feel” which is very difficult to capture on a video. Also as the Kone can’t be close mic’d due to the whizzer it would probably yield a fairly unimpressive representation of both the Kone and the V30. I’ve seen a few FRFR video comparisons on YouTube and generally found them to be or much pointless. I wonder though if a valid comparison be to set up in a nice room and mic from a distance with an good stereo air of condensers or an omni directional reference mic. Perhaps one of our pro studio engineers could could chime in with some insights?

• I dont think you would ever be able to capture the amp in the room feel in a video since by nature you need to mic the speaker and then you have lost that feel. Personally I see no practical use for setting up an A/B cab like I had described, that was more of a mental wonder while typing. I would be interested to hear an A/B comparison like that.

• My view/understanding:

4 direct replacements would work

Mixing them in the same signal chain would not ( for the reasons stated above).

Mixing them and separating them for alternate signal chains would work but why would you...