Those who record their songs/albums

• I have very good experience for demos and song writing with MT Power DrumKit2. This is a free VST but it sounds good (at least for rock stuff) and comes with useful predefinded drum patterns which I can easily throw on a midi track. And use it with other drum sounds as well.

Look here: MT-PowerDrumKit

• I use EzDrummer mostly, and sometimes Superior Drummer. EZD has a Song Builder mode that makes it easy to come up with a drum part for a song.

I use a Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass. Plays great, the PJ pickups are versatile, and dirt cheap on the used market.

Thanks paults ??

• Real one as I own a beautiful Ibanez SR1500 limited edition from the 90s. Good to play for my guitar player hands although long scale. Enough to do some demos but naturally and unfortunately not enough to unleash the beauty of the instrument as I am not a well trained bass player. Helped out some friends from time to time but would still need to practice way more... 8o

My DAW is Cubase and in the VSTs there are some good sounds for Bass but I never really tried to put this in via Midi keyboard or similar.

By the way: Another great free drum library is Steven Slate Drums 5. They offer a free edition with just one drumkit but it works very well and a bit more versatile for other styles than the MT Power DrumKit I mentioned above.

• Real one as I own a beautiful Ibanez SR1500 limited edition from the 90s. Good to play for my guitar player hands although long scale. Enough to do some demos but naturally and unfortunately not enough to unleash the beauty of the instrument as I am not a well trained bass player. Helped out some friends from time to time but would still need to practice way more... 8o

My DAW is Cubase and in the VSTs there are some good sounds for Bass but I never really tried to put this in via Midi keyboard or similar.

By the way: Another great free drum library is Steven Slate Drums 5. They offer a free edition with just one drumkit but it works very well and a bit more versatile for other styles than the MT Power DrumKit I mentioned above.

Thanks deadman42 for your input ?

• EZD2 is my go to drum machine , with slight work on each track ( mostky kick , snare mods )

Bass, I play the real stuff while not being a real bassist, a MIJ jazzbass and a chinese Violin bass Hofner are my tools.

I would never use these shitty bass VST , yuck ! I prefer to take 50 takes of one single line than using these crappy little bass vsts

• EZD2 is my go to drum machine , with slight work on each track ( mostky kick , snare mods )

Bass, I play the real stuff while not being a real bassist, a MIJ jazzbass and a chinese Violin bass Hofner are my tools.

I would never use these shitty bass VST , yuck ! I prefer to take 50 takes of one single line than using these crappy little bass vsts

Thanks waraba so much for your input! ?

• I start recording most of my songs with a simple loop to just keep the timing. After I record the basic tracks, I then use EZDrummer to create a drum track that enhances the song.

Thanks lespauled, how about the bass line? Anyway, I'm wondering how it works, you play something in loop and then you create drumtrack for that... Gonna try this approach...

• I write in Logic, generally either starting with Logic’s Drummer and tweaking, or importing a midi groove into Steven Slate Drums and tweaking that. Rarely I’ll start from scratch. For bass, I have a Mexican Fender Jazz and a Höfner violin bass. Occasionally I’ll use a synth, if I’m lazy or the track calls for it.

• I write in Logic, generally either starting with Logic’s Drummer and tweaking, or importing a midi groove into Steven Slate Drums and tweaking that. Rarely I’ll start from scratch. For bass, I have a Mexican Fender Jazz and a Höfner violin bass. Occasionally I’ll use a synth, if I’m lazy or the track calls for it.

Thanks sambrox. I'm not using Mac, so no Logic. Now I'm using Reaper and thinking if this is good DAW, I've never used much midi there... Thanks again!

• Thanks lespauled, how about the bass line? Anyway, I'm wondering how it works, you play something in loop and then you create drumtrack for that... Gonna try this approach...

I use a basic drum loop, and drag it out over the entire length of a song, and passed it.

I then record the main riff, without any fills, etc., just to get the basic idea down.

I use my GR-55 for bass, keyboards, and anything else.

After all of that, I mute the track using the loop, and use EZDrummer to create a drum track that accents the parts of the song, transitions, changes, etc.

• Similar way here. I admit that I often just put the first riff(s) into the project with pure click track. It's interesting what comes out if you then put drum tracks with different tempo, half time, vibe etc. underneath it. Can change the whole sond and its attitude. At least I often stumbled across nice ideas in that way.