Studio Profiles & Merged Profiles / Revelation regarding "Merge" function

• Hi Everyone,

Not quite sure how to start this one so I guess i'll get right into it.

Basically, I kept on seeing the "merge" function in the cab section and I didn't know what it was, so I did some research and looked into it, and found a lot of really conflicting info lol.

From what i've gathered, it's supposed to only be used for when people are making a Merged profile from a Studio and DI profile, and people were pretty adamant about people not using the "merge" function unless you are the Profiler.

It has actually taken me 2 weeks of research and some experimentation, before posting on here about this. People were really extreme about it whenever anyone asked about it in the past on this forum when people had similar experiences to me and it's confusing and discouraging and i'm not sure if all the info has been explained properly. And there's a few reasons for this.

Here's what i've found :

If you take a studio profile and swap to a cab from a different studio profile, and then try to use that same cab section or cab preset on the DI profile from that same studio profile, the only way you can get the same result is by using the "merge" cab function.

I kept seeing people say only to use "merge" in the cab section if you're the person making the studio and DI profile.

But i've found that if you're swapping cabs with DI profiles, the only way to get the same result as when swapping the cabs on the DI equivalent of the Studio profile is to "merge" the cab in the cab section of the DI (now Merged) Profile.

So for example -

If I were to do a studio profile of my rig, and then take a DI profile and make a Merged Profile from it, and then swap the cabs on both profiles to a different cab preset (using the same cab preset that's saved from a totally different Studio Profile for both), and didn't hit "merge" on the Merged profile when I switched the cab (like the majority of people replying to previous threads were saying to NOT do, because it seems like they were all meaning that you're only supposed to hit "merge" if its the cab from the original Studio profile), then the Merged Profile would sound different from the Studio Profile with the new cab swapped.

But if i do the same process again, and hit "merge" when switching to the different cab or cab preset, the profiles sound exactly the same.

I tried this process with Studio, DI, and Merged Profiles that I made, Profiles from 3rd Party Profile Makers, Profiles on the Rig Exchange that had Studio and DI versions of the same Profiles, etc.

I put weeks into this because everything I was reading was saying not to "merge" cabs with DI or Merged Profiles unless its the original cab from the Studio profile. And after testing out swapping cabs for weeks now, that just doesn't seem right for some reason. The only difference between the Studio and Merged Profiles when you swap cabs and don't "merge" the cab with the DI Profile, is that it sounds like the Studio Profile with the cab swapped but with way less depth and richness and less clarity. If you don't "merge" the cabs when the option pops up in the cab section of a Merged or DI profile, it just sounds thinner and wiry and scratchy compared to when you "merge" the cab or compared to that same Studio Profile with that same cab swapped.

I guess what i'm getting at is, in order to get the same results as swapping cabs on a Studio Profile, you HAVE to use the "merge" function. Otherwise you get a less rich and thinner sounding profile tone. But from what i've read on this forum so far, is that i'm not supposed to do that.

But i've spent the last two weeks taking different Studio and DI profiles and Merged Profiles and swapping cab presets saved from different Merged and Studio Profiles and comparing them. The only way to get results as if you're just swapping cabs normally on a Studio Profile, you NEED to hit "merge".

I know that the "merge" function is supposed to basically initiate CabDriver in the profile and merge the amp and cab section in order to find an estimation of where they seperate. So maybe it makes sense that in order to get the same results for Merged and DI Profiles as switching cabs in Studio Profiles, where CabDriver is basically engaged automatically in every profile, you would need to "merge" the cab in order to initiate CabDriver just like its initiated in Studio Profiles. Idk but, it's just a thought.

So when i've tried to IR's or cab presets that were saved from Merged Profiles instead of Studio Profiles, there's no "merge" option. So using the same IR on both a Studio and Merged profile made from that studio profile, will sound different and a lot thinner for some reason.

So because of that, I've found that I get much better results using IR's on Studio profiles. And i've found that I get much better results when Merging the cab from a Studio Profile with a Merged Profile or a DI Profile.

Disclaimer :

I know that my findings are probably the opposite of what you're supposed to do but, because it seems so drastically different than how i've seen it explained, I felt it necessary to post and share my findings. I'm not looking to ruffle any feathers or get scolded. I'm just sharing my findings with the community, in hopes it helps others get to the tones they want faster.

Also, when I say DI Profile, i'm referring to a Direct Amp Profile and not a Direct Preamp Profile and I know there's a difference. (Sorry guys, I'm not trying to sound snobby lol. Just putting the info out there). Merged Profiles and DI and Direct Preamp and Studio Profiles are all different.

I know that the cabs in Studio Profiles have some coloring from the amps in the profiles. I'm not worried about authenticity in this situation. Just trying to figure out why there's so much confusion regarding this "merge" function. And maybe it's been misunderstood this whole time and if people take a 2nd looks and do some experimenting they'll understand that it isn't a bad thing lol.

I hope i'm not offending anyone, and I know that this is a touchy subject on this forum. But I felt like after finding so much evidence that using the "merge" function was actually seemingly the way to get better sounding results (or at least better sounding in my opinion), contrary to what I had been reading, it's only right to speak up and say something.

Hopefully when someone else gets their Kemper and is curious about the "merge" function, they see this and won't feel discouraged or anything because it actually is the way to get the same results as if you were swapping cabs with Studio Profiles.

I definitely don't know everything. And I could definitely be wrong. But these are just the things I've realized through trial and error and experimentation. And it's my opinion and my perspective on the situation and I just wanted to share.

Thanks for reading,

Sean C.

• Sean, the short answer is - if it sounds good to you then its OK no matter what anyone else says.

the reason you see so many situations where people have diametrically oppose in opinions about these things as that some people read the manual but the majority don’t bother - many are even proud of the fact that don’t read the manual then post stupid options online spreading misinformation. rant over ?

your are correct in your understanding of how Merged profiles are supposed to work. They are a subtractive algorithm that needs the DAP and the Studio Profile from the same profiling session to work properly. Using the Merge button on other profiles can’t possibly yield the “correct” result as it doesn’t have tue right raw materials to do its job. However, of you get favourable results Merging something else then go for it and enjoy the great tones you create doing so. ?

• I’ve been down a merged profile rabbit hole, only to get back up and fall in a Kemper Kone Trap.

Thanks for posting. I always learn something from a detailed kemper experience and the comments it generates.

• Hey everyone,

Just wanted to give an update.

I've been experimenting a bit more and I realized that although using the "Merge Cabinet" function gets you closer to the equivalent studio profile with the cab swapped, I actually prefer the sounds I'm getting when swapping cabs without merging anything!

Sometimes when I'll swap cabs on a studio profile, with a cab preset that's from a studio profile, or can get a bit boomy and bassy. Almost like two EQs are on top of each other or something lol. Sometimes it can yield good results, and other times it's obvious why the "merge cabinet" function is only supposed to be used for merging the same studio profile with DI profile lol.

Ironically enough, after my ridiculously long novel, I find myself preferring just swapping cabs normally as intended. Funny how we can come full circle like that!