Kemper Kone/Kabinet Kone

• I am not sure i understand the use of the Kemper Kabinet. My philosofy is using kemper direct in the PA, and the monitor in my case DXR8 is to monitor whats out form the PA. I make my presets on my reference speeker also DXR8! the sound trough PA is nearly exact the same, and the sound i realy like.

I have tryed playing trough my CAE2x12 cab with V30´s + Poweramp. I have to admit almost all my profiles is sounding better and fuller trough my DXR8, exept maby from some chrunch style presets.

so what will happend to my presets if i run it troug the Kemper Kabinet with cone and turn off the cab simulation! will it send it to the PA without cab simulation? or do it send it with Kone simulation?? I dont realy understand the usage of this if the "nice sound"only comes from the Kemper Kab!? cause its no Kemper kone in the PA?

I play 95% live trough PA. iam not shure the Kemper Kone is for me and my usage! If i realy want an amp on stage i use my heavy Koch tube amp and Jensen custom speakers 6L6 tubes+TC G-Force.

I bought Kemper because less to carry , no heavy amp, straight in PA, same sound in everey venue no miced cab, no bassrumble

• You can still use your Main Outs to the PA, and it is exactly the same as your current sound, regardless of the Monitor Out settings.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• I think of the Kone this way. If you play from your Kemper straight to FOH and use in ears 100% of the time, or only plug your Kemper into your interface at home and only monitor via studio monitors then the Kone isn't really going to do much for you. As the main outs to FOH are not impacted by the Kone imprints.

If you are using the monitor out today to play through a FRFR speaker or a guitar cabinet then the Kone is probably worth looking at. The Kone can operate in a FRFR mode, or can be used to replace your guitar cab and have different imprints,for each rig (future upgrade).

It's light, sounds great and provides a cabinet in the room feel. So it really depends on how your using and monitoring your Kemper to see if it will do much for you.

Hope that helps.

• I play mostly with what I have as backline.

These days it's Bose L1 MII in our practice space, and DXR10 or XiTone MBritt playing out.

I've ordered the Kab and I'm expecting it might make some things redundant.

• Just so I understand better in comparing the Kone/Kab with the Line 6 PowerCab...

Each of them are capable of serving as FRFRs to play studio profiles. And, each of them can be used as real cabinet powered by a power amp. And in that case, they can be told to be a particular speaker i.e. a V30 in one instant or a GB25 in another.

The Line 6 PowerCab looks to have self powered options right now whereas the Kemper solutions needs a power amp in front of the cab. Also, unless I'm looking at it wrong, the speaker modeling lives in the PowerCab so you could use it with a Kemper and power amp (or a tube amp?) and have it sound like any number of cabs. It seems like the Kab/Kone is dependent on interacting with the Kemper brain or can the cones be told what to be without having to connect to a Kemper?

If the Kone/Kab needs the Kemper connected, then it's less interesting to me. What would be the most flexible is a cab that could virtually change the speakers no matter what I connected to it. So the modeling would need to live in the cab I guess. I THINK that's how the PowerCab operates but I don't know.

• Thats exactly what i think too! I play mostly live with in ears, but use my DXR on stage to get kind of amp feeling at high volumes, I dont understand why i should have a coloured sound on stage when my in ears and PA is the sound that realy matter. If i was doing a lot of studio stuff, or sat only in my musicroom I could had it, but I realy get almost in room amp feel with my DXR8

• Just so I understand better in comparing the Kone/Kab with the Line 6 PowerCab...

This is what I would like to know, and maybe it’s already been said somewhere. Will the Kone still behave as an frfr with the Helix? If so, then gigging with either Kemper or Helix, or maybe both, and one cab would still be possible.

• This is what I would like to know, and maybe it’s already been said somewhere. Will the Kone still behave as an frfr with the Helix? If so, then gigging with either Kemper or Helix, or maybe both, and one cab would still be possible.

it appears that the Kone is not a flat response speaker on its own so probably won’t work as well as you might expect with the Helix. The Kone software is required to make the speaker flat. I might try and devise a test later tonight but as I don’t have a stand aloneSS poweramp I will need to use a vale power amp which will clearly have some impact on the sound.

• Just tried a little experiment.

As expected, sending the Master Mono signal via the Direct Out or Main Out into a separate power amp driving the Kabinet gives a very dull and lifeless sound. This should be the same signal path as running the Monitor Out with Kemper Kone Disabled and Cabinet Off Disabled. In this case we are getting the natural "full range" sound of the Kone speaker with the profile's cabinet section on. This is the best way I can think of to replicate running a Helix or similar into the Kabinet and trying to use it as a replacement for FRFR.

The Kone speaker certainly doesn't seem to be a flat full range speaker without whatever magic the Kone DSP software carries out. Once the Kemper Kone is Enabled via the KPA everything starts to sing again and sound much more lifelike.

• difference to what ?

to a closed back ? no it sounds absolutely great with the Kone,

had an F12 x200 before, was good too, but the Kone is the thing.

sold all other FRFR Stuff yesterday, no only my Kone Kab is in use

• difference to what ?

to a closed back ? no it sounds absolutely great with the Kone,

had an F12 x200 before, was good too, but the Kone is the thing.

sold all other FRFR Stuff yesterday, no only my Kone Kab is in use

Do you think the open back is not problem for the high gained profiles?

How does it sound?

• i don't use high gained profiles

low gain to mid gain

with as example Fender Deluxe Reverb Profile, the open Back with an oxford 12L imprint

sounds identical in the room as the real Deluxe