Outboard compression (Warm Audio)

• Hi all,

I'm a noob to audio engineering, so please excuse my noobness.

I have a chance to purchase a second hand rack compressor from Warm Audio (great price). Before I do that, I was wondering how I might go about connecting it up to my Kemper, or even if I should bother. Is it best to sit in front or behind the Kemper? Sometimes I'm recording the channels separately (SPDIF, etc), so I guess behind wouldn't work in that case.

If it sits in front of the Kemper, then my guitar plugs into the back of the compressor. Sounds a bit weird that I'd need to get into the back of my rack to gain access and plug in my guitar. How's this usually done, which a patch bay or something?

Furthermore, I have for example a wah pedal which currently sits between my guitar and the Kemper. With the compressor the signal chain would be guitar-->wahwha (or pedal board, whatever)-->compressor-->kemper. That doesn't seem right, does it?

Cheers.

"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

Pride & Joy: My Custom Shop Les Paul Slash AFD VOS (1of300)

http://www.edgerob.com

Edited once, last by robedge ().

• If you have an audio interface with enough ins and outs then you can set it as a......hardware insert in your DAW.

Thats what you should google for your particular DAW - and have the latency compensation set to as much as your computer can handle.

If you just want it in line with your kemper then you need decide what you want the compressor to do.

I'd take a look at the pro's and cons for comps before or after your amp...which in this case...is how you want to view kemper...just as an amp :)

Cheers,

Greg

PRS Custom 22's - Fender Strats - Diezel VH4 - Carol Ann OD2 - Toneking Imperial MK2 - Colin the Kemper - CLR Neo ii.