KEMPER MINI BOX, this is possible?

• Hi guys!

I am new to this forum, in short I want to tell you my story ...

For the last 15 years I have been playing exclusively with tube amplifiers, and any attempts to switch to digital devices have been unsuccessful.

However, as time goes on, we are not getting younger, I thought about how to reduce the weight of my rig, and my eyes turned back to digital equipment ...

I tried Fractal AX8. I really liked the FX block and features, but the amplifiers sounded not convincing and lifeless. My experience with Line 6 Helix was the same.

I am fully convinced that KEMPER is the best digital copy of the sound of tube amplifiers existing in the world today. However, the FX unit is not so good compared to Fractal Audio.

With my tube amps as an FX unit, I use my Fractal FX8 II. This is a great, reliable and very functional device.

The appearance of Kemper STAGE really inspired me, but I really like my FX8 II, and I would like to get a device that could work together with my FRACTAL.

Can I discuss my fantasies about the new device from KEMPER?

I called it KEMPER MINI BOX.

This device should not have FX effects inside (except for the gate, equalizer, etc.). It should load, edit and play amplifier profiles (cannot create profiles like his older brothers, but only play them).

It should have a stereo loop of effects on board and headphone output.

It should work both with the REMOTE controller, any standard MIDI controller, and with my Fractal FX8 (4CM).

He should also be able to load and edit the impulses of my own cabinets. At the same time, its dimensions should not significantly exceed the dimensions of, say, Two Notes TORPEDO CAB (5 ″ x 7 ″) or MOOER Preamp Live (5.1 ″ x 9.1 ″), and the price should not exceed 500-600 euros.

Do you think this is possible in principle?

• i don’t have any inside knowledge whatsoever but if I was in their position I wouldn’t produce it.

it appears to me that the production cost per unit (after the initial setup cost has been recouped) is unlikely to be significantly lower than the current versions. The retail price would need to be significantly lower and would decimate the sales of the bigger full feature units. That looks like a way to kill your company profits to me. I could be way off on the production cost though so who knows.

• More likely would be a a 1u rack with all the same connections and functions. Now there is an editor, the large screen and knobs are not essential. I don't see the advantage of changing the format financially, when it might only appeal to a few.

I didn't get why you would want a Mini Kemper while carrying around other units too?

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• More likely would be a a 1u rack with all the same connections and functions. Now there is an editor, the large screen and knobs are not essential. I don't see the advantage of changing the format financially, when it might only appeal to a few.

I didn't get why you would want a Mini Kemper while carrying around other units too?

I just love my FX8 and I'm used to it.

But I want to reduce weight due to tube amplifiers ...

• A mini profile player à la HX Stomp makes immediate sense now that with the stage we can be assured that this generation's design of the profiler will last a lot longer than anybody would have thought even a few years ago.

Better have it and not need it, than need it and not have it! - Michael Angelo Batio

Edited once, last by Alienator ().

• Just today I bought a used HX Stomp for traveling, the Kemper is a bit to big.
    So I checked the sounds and I also installed Impulse Responses. It was definitely a BIG disapointment. With the lightly overdriven sounds the HX Stomp sounds very strange. There is an unnatural Buzz if you let the note fade out.

I will sell it again. Really hope that one day there will be a mini-Kemper !!!

By the way, with the new software interface of the kemper I think the effects are great!

never thought that I would like the Kemper that much...! 8|

• I got the Stomp about a month ago for a backup and also hoping to not take my Kemper on planes. The tones I got with some Ownhammer IRs are quite good, but I could hear a very high fizz type sound. I would always persevere with gear for at least a few months before chopping it in and eventually got it under control by leaving the master eq on with low lass at 16k. It is a gentle filter and seems to deal with it.

The problem with modellers, rather than the profiler method, is settling on one of probably millions of IRs. It always feels like there might be a slightly better one around the corner and I am trying resist losing the rest of my life to the pointless chase!

Karl

Edited once, last by karlic ().

• I also own an HX Stomp and it is clearly a keeper. For a different purpose, though: It has been sitting for half a year or so on one of my boards together with a stage, EXPs and some wireless stuff. Line6's drives are much superior to those of the stage, imho. Also there are some FX in the HX Stomp that are gorgeous, unique but also more than useful for recreating famous sounds. Example: In the past I searched for gear that could recreate the sound of "Mysterious Ways". Short version: Kemper can't do it. The HX Stomp has a model of the famous Korg A3 that was used in this song. Line6 amp modelling is "ok"-ish but the FX are superb! Now it becomes clear (better drives are only one aspect and it isn't only amp sound recreation that is the only aspect in an all in one multi fx unit like the Kemper) why a KemperII has been making sense for some years and a small profile player even much more.

Better have it and not need it, than need it and not have it! - Michael Angelo Batio

Edited 4 times, last by Alienator ().

• I also own an HX Stomp and it is clearly a keeper. For a different purpose, though: It has been sitting for half a year or so on one of my boards together with a stage, EXPs and some wireless stuff. Line6's drives are much superior to those of the stage, imho. Also there are some FX in the HX Stomp that are gorgeous, unique but also more than useful for recreating famous sounds. Example: In the past I searched for gear that could recreate the sound of "Mysterious Ways". Short version: Kemper can't do it. The HX Stomp has a model of the famous Korg A3 that was used in this song. Line6 amp modelling is "ok"-ish but the FX are superb! Now it becomes clear (better drives are only one aspect and it isn't only amp sound recreation that is the only aspect in an all in one multi fx unit like the Kemper) why a KemperII has been making sense for some years and a small profile player even much more.

These are my thoughts too, thanks!

• I love the hx stomp and as a kemper user is would of course love to see a mini version, i bet it is possible,

• The good thing about the Stomp is that they managed to keep all the connections in such a small box. A full stereo loop, 2 sets of stereo outs and midi. Therefore I have been using it as a backup to the Kemper live. However, I would much prefer a portable Kemper now that there is an editor.

After trying the Helix approach, the one thing I really think they excel at is routing. You can bring pretty much anything in or out wherever you want. For instance, I can use one half of the loop for a mono pedal like The Drop and then the remaining input as an aux input for an acoustic.

Karl

• I also think that the concept with all the connection in such a small box is very convincing in the HX Stomp. Routing posibilities are great!
    But I moslty use the amp modelling with a good reverb and delay which instantly sounds good in the Kemper, without much tweaking. (I don't even use drives with my tube amps, never worked for me... sometimes i use a booster) And if an amp profile does not sound right, it can be made sounding good in 2minues using the vast number of posibilities in the new softare editor. After the Guitar for me the importance of a good sound is 90% Amp (simulation) and then 10% Effects. But that's just my humble opinion ;)

And that's why I'm hoping that Kemper will create a small unit maybe wihtout the profiling funcion. I would buy it !!

never thought that I would like the Kemper that much...! 8|

• After the Guitar for me the importance of a good sound is 90% Amp (simulation) and then 10% Effects. But that's just my humble opinion ;)

And that's why I'm hoping that Kemper will create a small unit maybe wihtout the profiling funcion. I would buy it !!

I am so emotional about such a Mini Kemper. Yes, you are right, I think this is why we all use Kempers. I don´t use anything else, any more. Good amp sound is key to everything, of course. But also, as you mentioned, everything is so individual and depends on what kind of music or applications you want to use gear for. On the other hand boosts and drives are such an essential part of amps and "sound" since the beginning of Rock music. Many use them all the time. And as there has also been said above: try to recreate the sounds of U2, Pink Floyd or other great bands without great boosts, drives and FX. As an all in one unit in the year 2020, I do not feel like I have to even lose one word about having boosts, drives and FX in best quality in an all in one unit (some would maybe also add: "with the best user interface") in the universe. I don´t think it matters if you need everything all the time. That is the nature and the definition of an all in one unit. So, from many perspectives, a small Profile Player makes immediate sense until a next generation´s Kemper II in many different formats (rack, floor, head, Mini, plug-in etc.) will take care of every wish and routing and UI dream existing since the Helix.

• I'm actually dreaming that mini kemper, I had a kemper power rack for about 6 years and I sold it for the Axe Fx III MkII But even if the Axe Fx is better for my Band/recording use, I really miss my profiles that I had for me personnal use. I can really say that I miss my kemper but the Kemper is 10 years old now. and still at the same price... Just guys 10 years ago the technology wasn't the same. I don't think we can ask BIG changes, but a kemper MkII with better CPU and mayber some dual amp ? I know alot of kemper users and 90% of them never used the profiling feature, just buying rig or going on the rig enxchange.

Kemper mini could make my life better.

• Konero to be fair the technology in my Mesa Dual Rectifier and Mark V is nearly 100 years old and that still the sort of stuff we judge the Kemper and modellers against so 10 year old tech is positively modern in my book ?

I agree that most don't use the profiling functions (which is a real shame as they are missing out) but I also think at least 90% don't need dual amps either.