How to get this clear light OD tone that's not muddy (video)

• I really want to get this tone at 1:00 . I can get like straight cleans and fairly gainy stuff - but things in this area don't sound so good with what I've been using.

I've tried Fender profiles with a green scream boost and compressor, marshall at different gain stages, vox, etc. - and I always end up needing to increase the gain/compression to add sustain, which ruins the clarity.

What amp profile/stomps/etc. do you recommend to achieve this?

Thank you!

• I would check out Tone Junkie profiles. They have that chimey, clean-but-not-clean thing going on in spades.

Also, I'd try adding Clean Boost in front of a breaking-up amp profile, to boost the gain with clarity, rather than Green Scream into a clean amp, which will just lose clarity. Or use Green Scream into a breaking up amp, with the gain off and the output volume right up.

Amp-wise, I'd try one of the Bogner Shiva profiles; it's a wonderful amp which really seems to lend itself to profiling well, and has a great, chimy-clean breakup sound.

Plus, of course, you need a good single coil neck pickup! That's a Strat p/u. Most Tele neck pickups probably won't get that sound.

• Several of you beat me to it, but the first thing I heard was that it was played on a single coil neck pickup. Fantastic playing and tones. And the best looking non-Fender tele headstock I've seen, IMHO.

Bilinguitar, experiment with the compressor in the Amp section. That is probably your best way to get the sustain/feel that you are looking for.

I get a lot of mileage out of taking profiles that have more gain/are more distorted than I want, and turning the gain down. There is something that I really like about both the sound and the feel of those profiles with the gain reduced. Even with the gain all the way down, they are still fat. I've always guessed that this was a byproduct of how the profiling process works.

If you need to resort to driving the front end, try the pure boost.

Now, I'm going to go try Mats' HPD profiles and Tone Junkie's T Wreck Liverbird per digbob. :)

Be Thankful.