Audio Interface for Kemper

• Hi,

Im looking to record my kemper using my mac. Im pretty inexperienced:)

I would use it to mainly creating my own backing track to Jam with, so I'd want to monitor/record everything in real time using headphones most of the time. This is where I'm slightly confused. Would I monitor/record using the Headphone input on the Kemper or Audio interface? I'd hate to have a lesser quality experience using the headphone on an interface.

I'm looking to spend up to £250 - so any recommendations would be great. I'm still not sure id SPdif is easier for someone like me?

Any help would be great.

• I have a focusrite Scarlett 6i6 which I find adequate for my needs. Only problem may be that it has a number of inputs and outputs that you won’t need

A brace of Suhrs, a Charvel, a toaster, an Apollo twin, a Mac, and a DXR10

• Focusrite 2i2 is all you need, less than $100 in most places. But even one of the Behringer interfaces is pretty darn good, you can get a bang for the buck 4 or 6 input interface for less than $200.

• would you then listen to everything via headphones from the Focusrite? I’m trying to work out how to Record the kemper and listen to all sources whilst playing with the least latency.

thanks

• Focusrite 6i6 comes with the same coaxial RCA S/PDIF connector as the KPA has. With one small S/PDIF cable, you can carry a stereo signal, or two separate channels to your DAW.

S/PDIF does not perform another Analog to Digital conversion, your untouched Kemper sound is sent directly to DAW/disc.

You could plug your monitor speakers directly into the Kemper, or the Focusrite 6i6 at that point.

96Khz at 128 Samples gives me a round-trip latency value of 7.21ms, with a Focusrite 18i8 and those settings. No lag feel here.

Kemper Powerhead w/remote & Kabinet
    Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms

• This is what i shall do. Cheers:)

• Could you just along with MP3's when using the spdif output ?

If that would be possible I'd like to get the smallest USB audio device that has this spdif ...

Raf

Kemper stage with 2 mission pedals (in a Thon line 6 FBV case) and a Zilla 212 (K-100/V30) , SD powerstage 700 poweramp

• If good quality matter I would suggest something else than Focusrite all others here recommended. I've been a user in the past and moved to a SPL Crimson and the headphone quality is much better than cheaper Focusrite interfaces offer. You get what you pay for. Well if it's new one. You could always find cheaper on the second hand market like I and others have done.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• If good quality matter I would suggest something else than Focusrite all others here recommended. I've been a user in the past and moved to a SPL Crimson and the headphone quality is much better than cheaper Focusrite interfaces offer. You get what you pay for. Well if it's new one. You could always find cheaper on the second hand market like I and others have done.

Thanks, Im checking that out right now. If I use SPDIF does the audio travel back in to the kemper meaning i could still use the Kemper headphone out whilst recording?

• When you record and play with a DAW you need to use the interface's headphone input and not kempers.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• Thanks again. There are a couple on eBay for £400 I'll have a research tonight and see what happens. The only other devices I noticed around that price range was the Universal Audio interfaces. The Apollo is optical digital. Is SPDIF to optical possible without quality loss,

Last dumb question:)

• Yes, same quality but you'll need a little converter box (which is cheap).

That being said, sound quality out of Kemper is essentially the same if you use main outs or SPDIF, but SPDIF is very convenient. I use an Audient ID 14 that sounds ok but keeps disconnecting and just being a lot of trouble. Depends how much of this depends on your livelihood but at this point I wish I'd have gotten a higher end one like Apogee or RME instead of the cheaper ones.

• I have also looked a new one. The list looks like UA, Audient, RME, Apogee, Focusrite, but unfortunately it seems there are some compromises to be made, no matter the price point.

Usability is one thing - I've got used to controls facing up so desktop model would be favorable.

Then there are the other thingies - OS drivers (latencies/quality), headphone preamp, spdif (coax), and interface cabling layout, converters, number of I/Os, age of the tech (foreseeable EOL).

• I have also looked a new one. The list looks like UA, Audient, RME, Apogee, Focusrite, but unfortunately it seems there are some compromises to be made, no matter the price point.

Usability is one thing - I've got used to controls facing up so desktop model would be favorable.

Then there are the other thingies - OS drivers (latencies/quality), headphone preamp, spdif (coax), and interface cabling layout, converters, number of I/Os, age of the tech (foreseeable EOL).

I'm currently looking at all those options - just give me an Apogee Duet with SPDIF inputs!!! I just want high quality headphone output and recording. I'm just looking in to Toslink connectors for the Interfaces with Optical in.

I have ditched the focusrite as I'm not sure about the headphone output. Just looking at the UA Arrow and Element 24.