Using Kemper with SPDIF. Is this possible?

• Hi!

New to this forum (got my Stage a week ago, really like it).
    Hopefully I don't break any rules with this post!

Right now I'm using the kemper with a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (connecting with XLR) and it doesn't have SPDIF connections so I can't test this out myself.

I'm looking to buy the 8i6 to get SPDIF, but before I do that I would like to know if it will work as I want it :)

I hope someone can enlightening me!

Is it possible to to this:

1. Guitar connected to instrument/input1 on Interface.

2. Routing guitar input 1 to SPDIF out to the Kemper (Left channel mono I guess, same as when reamping?).

3. SPDIF from Kemper to Interface in Stereo, NOT dry/wet in mono (the user guide only mention two mono signals).

While recordning I get the Stereo signal from the kemper to DAW.

I also record the the dry mono input of the guitar Input 1 on Interface (If I want to reamp later).

If I reamp, I reroute the Interface to send from DAW to SPDIF to Kemper.

Why I want to do it this way?

I'm not only using the Kemper, I also want to run guitar directly to computer and don't want to unplug/plugin the guitar all the time (I'm lazy but also want to save the units from wear).

I guess that I maybe would get a better sound if I plugin the guitar directly into the Kemper.
    Guess it depends on what unit has the best AD/DA converters (and of course it's a matter of taste).

If above will work, is it any drawbacks to the concept?
    Haven't reamped yet. Is it maybe somethings that doesn't work as usual when doing that?

BTW.

I great feature with the 8i6 is that it can act as a standalone simple mixer.

Would be nice to avoid starting the computer just to play for short while but I'm not 100% sure it will work with SPDIF (Focusrite user guide only mentions analog input).

• You can't send all three signals (di guitar plus stereo master) over SPDIF simultaneously.

My suggestion would be to use the direct out to send the guitar to your interface set to git analog. That way it goes to the interface before going through the Kemper AD converter or Git Studio for a higher level signal with no need for a DI box etc. Then also set the spdif out to master stereo to record the full stereo guitar track. If you want to reamp via spdif later you can do so.

• You can send all three signals (di guitar plus stereo master) over SPDIF simultaneously.

This not correct. SPDIF only carries two channels. You can set SPDIF Output to either Master Stereo or another combination of sources, e.g Git/Stack or Git/Master Mono.

• This not correct. SPDIF only carries two channels. You can set SPDIF Output to either Master Stereo or another combination of sources, e.g Git/Stack or Git/Master Mono.

Sorry, that was typo. It was meant to say "can't" :wacko: Hence the reason for the follow up suggestion. Must learn to proof read my posts before hitting enter :D

• You can't send all three signals (di guitar plus stereo master) over SPDIF simultaneously.

I understand that, so therefore I wanted to get the Stereo signal from SPDIF Out on Kemper and take the dry signal directly from the Interface (since my idea was to plug the guitar to the interface and send it to the kemper with SPDIF).

But your solution sound like it could work also.
    If I understand you correct I can use a direct out on Kemper and that way I get a dry signal that I can use even when I'm don't want to use the kemper? And that way I can have my guitar plugged into the Kemper all the time?

• If I understand you correct I can use a direct out on Kemper and that way I get a dry signal that I can use even when I'm don't want to use the kemper? And that way I can have my guitar plugged into the Kemper all the time?

Correct, Mat.

That way, the Kemper will be acting as your DI box.

• You can ramp via SPDIF In and OUT. It's described in the Main Manual in great detail.

Yes, I just found the section in the manual.

It also says "The PROFILER can generate a clock of 44.1, 48, 88.2, or 96 kHz."

Saw another discussion (on another forum) about someone who was going to buy some hardware just to resample the signal from Kemper to 96kHz..

Was it locked to 44.1 earlier?

Or is it a different thing? The clock can run on 96 but the digital file will still be 44.1?

I never used SPDIF so I have no idea on how it works technically.. :)

• Was it locked to 44.1 earlier?

Indeed it was, but a firmware update expanded the sample-rate choices.

Thanks, Monkey_Man!
    Guess that Focusrite also thanks you cause now I can buy one and know that it will work. It wasn't the way I thought about it but it achieves the same goals.

But when I get one I have to try it my way also to see if it's doable :)

I'm sure it'll be doable, but I suspect the interface won't allow you to output guitar-level signals and the split feed from your geetar would therefore be line-level, which means you'd then best use the Aux input on the rear of your Kemper.

That's not an ideal situation 'cause you'll want to use it for reamping, and on top of this, plugging your guitar directly into the Kemper's front-panel input would mean that on those occasions when you don't end up reamping, your recorded signal (guitar->KPA Rig) is gonna be as pristine as possible.

• I use the SPDIF in / out top connect my Kemper to a Helix (which can use the SPDIF like an FX loop if you stop using the 'multi' in and out at the start and end of each Helix FX chain).

It works really well - and misses out a couple of rounds of ADA conversion.

• You can ramp via SPDIF In and OUT. It's described in the Main Manual in great detail.

I may have had this wrong, but the OP's setting was not related to reamp: I got he wants to feed a guitar signal to the PKA via SPDIF, while at the same time sending the processed tone from the Profiler to DAW via SPDIF.
    Would this work nevertheless?

Still chasing a worthy one :/

• I may have had this wrong, but the OP's setting was not related to reamp: I got he wants to feed a guitar signal to the PKA via SPDIF, while at the same time sending the processed tone from the Profiler to DAW via SPDIF.

It should. The SPDIF output can give the same signal that the main output does - but without having digital to analogue conversion. I use my kemper with just the SPDIF sockets for input and output (its called 'reamp' in the settings).

• It should. The SPDIF output can give the same signal that the main output does - but without having digital to analogue conversion. I use my kemper with just the SPDIF sockets for input and output (its called 'reamp' in the settings).

Yep, I am aware of that. The question would be if bidirectional signals can transit at the same time tho.

Still chasing a worthy one :/

• I may have had this wrong, but the OP's setting was not related to reamp: I got he wants to feed a guitar signal to the PKA via SPDIF, while at the same time sending the processed tone from the Profiler to DAW via SPDIF.

Yep, I am aware of that. The question would be if bidirectional signals can transit at the same time tho.

Of course they can, mate.

You wouldn't be able to reamp digitally otherwise 'cause it relies on hearing / recording the Rig currently in-use.

• I use the SPDIF in / out top connect my Kemper to a Helix (which can use the SPDIF like an FX loop if you stop using the 'multi' in and out at the start and end of each Helix FX chain), then into 70% of the technology known to man.

It works really well - and misses out a couple of rounds of ADA conversion to compensate for 3 miles of cabling.

FTFY ;)

• Yep, I am aware of that. The question would be if bidirectional signals can transit at the same time tho.

From using them - the two kemper spdif sockets are a dedicated 'out' and a dedicated 'in'. They aren't bi-directional.

The interface he mentions (the 8i6 ) has 2x SPdif sockets - an out and an in. Use 2x cables to connect up the outs to the ins. This is the set up he's describing and the routing he plans, and it does work. No need for bi-directional signals.