Recording with kemper direct to Computer | Without Interface?

• Hey All,

I want to use my Kemper to record ideas for songs into the program (Reaper). I am super new to doing this and every video I am seeing talks about connecting to an interface. There is however a way to do it without an interface, I hope.

The purpose here isn't to produce an amazing sounding song. The idea is to capture ideas so I can send them to other guitarist and we work on songs together without being in the same room. Especially with the Pandemic issue right now, this will allow us to keep writing effectively for the future.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

• You really need an audio interface for anything like that. A small usb mixer would be another choice, but that would likely only record in mono (which might be fine for you).

If you’re just not wanting an audio interface...Your comp might have a combo headphone/mic input jack on it, and if it does, you can run mono out of the kemper to that as an input source. This will take at least one cable adapter though, and is not an ideal setup, but it should work.

However, if you’re going to be recording music for any purpose for the foreseeable future, an audio interface is a must have. If nothing else, then for the ease of recording.

• I'm thinking of going with the : (Pics attached) Scarlett 8i6 3rd Generation 8-in, 6-out USB Audio Interface

What is the difference between recording digital using SPDF verses using using the Return output on the back of rack?

If I use the SPDF input, can I connect to my computer as follows:

- SPDF out on Kemper - to SPDF IN on Interface

- Guitar to front input of the Kemper

- Input Section changed to (SPDF Input Reamp)

Note: I have attached a picture of the backside of my Mac so you can see what connections I have. What other cables do I need if any, and how is the interface then connected to my Mac Desktop?

• I'm thinking of going with the : (Pics attached) Scarlett 8i6 3rd Generation 8-in, 6-out USB Audio Interface

Good one. Pretty common. Lots of people here have it, very versatile and good to handle. And good to get help for.

What is the difference between recording digital using SPDF verses using using the Return output on the back of rack?

The signal of your guitar is transferred digitally without another need for analog/digital conversion (AD/DA conversion) when you use SPDIF. Certainly you mean Main Outs, Direct Out or Monitor Out instead of the Return jack for the non-digital case. The Return jack is an input for your loop. Forget about that for the moment. SPDIF is fine, conveniant and sound-wise a perfect option for what you want. Heads up: You have Kemper Rack or Toaster version? Then you need to make sure that the Kemper is clock master, i.e. in the software for your Focusrite interface you need to indicate "clock is SPDIF" or "external" etc. - not "internal".

- Guitar to front input of the Kemper

- Input Section changed to (SPDF Input Reamp)

First two points are exactly right. Third one not. That would mean that the guitar signal comes from the computer and goes via SPDIF into the Kemper for reamping purposes. In your case just make sure that the Input section takes the front input for your guitar as per your wiring mentioned in the second bullet point.

What other cables do I need if any, and how is the interface then connected to my Mac Desktop?

It's a USB interface. Not sure about the standard though. It should at least come with a standard USB cable which fits on the interface side. You need to make sure that you have a USB port (probably 2.0 standard) on your Mac or you may need an adapter to put it on Thunderbolt/USB-C or whatever the machine has.

Maybe someone else from the community who is also on Mac can comment on this.

• Okay new problem. I am trying to get the sound of my Kemper through the Interface out to come out of the PA Passive speaker.

Here are my current connections:

- Guitar to front input of the Kemper'

- Passive PA Speaker to (Out 1) on rear of the 18i20 Interface (pics above).

In my mac computer settings, I have the choice to select:

- Internal Microphone

- Pro Tools Aggregate I/O

- Scarlet Intercace

Note: Both for Output and Input

Is there anything I am missing here ? Still new to recording with the Kemper and now many more things to learn.

Thank you for your help!

• In my mac computer settings, I have the choice to select:

- Internal Microphone

- Pro Tools Aggregate I/O

- Scarlet Intercace

Not sure as I do not own a mac. But I would assume that you would need to rather be looking into the mixer funcitonality which should come with the interfaces' driver installation in order to clear the routing of signals. The ones you mention sounds too basic for this.

• Wheresthedug , I am using my Powered Kemper (Built in Power Amp) with the Interface. Would this not work in this case? I am still playing around with the settings to try and figure this out.

Derek, the powered (amplified) signal on the powered Kempers only exists on the Kemper’s Speaker Out connection. You need to connect your Scarlett audio interface to your monitors. As the Scarlett is not an amplifier, you need powered (active) monitors. Or, you need to have an external amp to amplify output signals from the Scarlett, prior to going into a passive monitor.