General Recording Tips?

• Hi Guys,

After years of using my Kemper strictly for live performances, I'm FINALLY starting to sit down and record with it. Are there are any must-do, or obvious tips that I should be aware of? I ask because the way my tones sound going into my Mac aren't all that impressive. I'm using the same rigs I use live, but when I play live I use 5-driver in-ears and everything sounds amazing. I know they won't sound identical - but my point is, I'm not using a cab or floor monitor live - I'm hearing them through in-ears. For recording, I'm monitoring using a pair of Yamaha HS-8 speakers as well as AudioTechnica ATH-M50x headphones. And it's not just the tone that sounds off. It feels like there is almost a little lag in the playing, and sort of a thin metallic sound behind everything. It's nowhere close to any of the recordings I hear online (I'm using MBritt profiles).

The way I have everything hooked up is I'm plugged straight from my guitar into the Kemper. Running out of the Kemper using SPDIF (also tried running stereo XLR outs as well), into my Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, into Reaper. I'm also using the most current firmware release.

Are there any settings I should be changing? I'm getting signal and can hear everything fine. But it just doesn't sound nearly as full as what I hear online (I've tried various profiles from different creators), and the slight bit of latency seems to be messing with me. I don't know anything about clock speed, bitrate, and all the more technical terms. I've always been a plug it in and play it kind of guy.

Any tips you can provide would be much appreciated.

• Hey bud,

Are you monitoring from the Scarlett? That could explain the extra latency.

Are you using the Scarlett's headphone amp? That could explain the wimpier sound. Double-check against the Kemper 'phone amp just to be sure.

Also, the in-ear method you're used to allows the guitar to "envelop" your head, whereas now that you're recording, and later on mixing with other instruments, the guitar's gonna have to take a back seat compared to what you might be used to with your live-monitor mix. Even before this mixing takes place, you're perceiving the guitar track/s as sitting in front of you, as opposed to the "in-your-head" effect you would've experienced using the IEM's.

Just a few places to look for starters...

• The latency could be coming from your buffer settings in your DAW. Try a lower setting.

You might need to tweak the Definition amount. You should also try using the Eq and filter the highs down to 10k or so. You might also try different profiles and don’t be afraid to Eq more if needed. Using pedal in front of the Kemper with some mid boost like a Klon can really help too.

I just use the xlr outs to avoid any spdif issues that might arise. My RME interface had trouble but other interfaces might be fine.

These profiles go to 11!

• Hey bud,

Are you monitoring from the Scarlett? That could explain the extra latency.

Are you using the Scarlett's headphone amp? That could explain the wimpier sound. Double-check against the Kemper 'phone amp just to be sure.

Uhh, I think so? I've got the Scarlett hooked into my 2 Yamaha HS-8 speakers and use that to record, listen back, monitor while playing, etc. Not totally sure what you mean by the headphone amp. When I'm recording, I usually don't use the headphones since it's just me sitting in front of my computer and speakers. So I just listen to it through the HS-8 speakers as I'm recording. The only time I use the headphones is after I've got everything mixed well on the HS-8s, I'll use the headphones to compare and make sure it sounds good there too.

• The latency could be coming from your buffer settings in your DAW. Try a lower setting.

You might need to tweak the Definition amount. You should also try using the Eq and filter the highs down to 10k or so. You might also try different profiles and don’t be afraid to Eq more if needed. Using pedal in front of the Kemper with some mid boost like a Klon can really help too.

I just use the xlr outs to avoid any spdif issues that might arise. My RME interface had trouble but other interfaces might be fine.

Here's my recording inexperience showing, but I know nothing about buffering, or what it does. Is there a downside to lowering the buffer? And what setting exactly should I reduce, and what increments should I try? Media buffer size is set to 1200ms, prebuffer is at 1005, Render-ahead setting is at 200ms. I'm totally lost with that stuff.

• Here’s a good simple explanation. Although it relates to Logic, the concept is the same in all DAWs.

Adjust the I/O buffer size

The I/O buffers temporarily store some of the incoming and outgoing audio data to protect against audible dropouts, clicks, or pops. You can change the I/O buffer size at any time to minimize latency.

In Logic Pro, smaller I/O buffer sizes reduce input monitoring latency. However, smaller buffer sizes require more processing power, which can cause system overload alerts. Larger I/O buffer sizes require less processing power, but increase latency.

When recording, set the I/O buffer to the lowest setting. If you encounter system overload alerts, increase the I/O buffer size to the next setting. Projects with many tracks or a lot of software instruments require higher I/O buffer sizes, depending on the amount or RAM and the speed of the processor in your Mac.

To change the I/O buffer size:

1. Choose Logic Pro X > Preferences > Audio.
    2. Click Devices.
    3. Choose the buffer size from the I/O Buffer Size pop-up menu. If you're using a USB interface, set the I/O buffer size to no less than 128 samples. For Thunderbolt interfaces, you can set the I/O buffer size to the lowest setting.

Logic Pro shows the resulting latency under the I/O Buffer Size menu. Roundtrip latency is the total amount of input monitoring latency you'll experience from audio input to audio output.

[Blocked Image: https://support.apple.com/library/content/dam/edam/applecare/images/en_US/proapps/logic/elcap-logic-pro-x-10-2-2-preferences-audio-device.png]

[Blocked Image: https://support.apple.com/library/content/dam/edam/applecare/images/en_US/mac_apps/itunes/divider.png]

Turn Low Latency Mode on to manage plug-in latency

Certain plug-ins can contribute to input monitoring latency, particularly dynamics plug-ins with look-ahead functions. If you're using these kinds of plug-ins in a project, you can minimize the latency they produce while recording using Low Latency Mode.

Low Latency Mode bypasses plug-ins as needed, so the amount of latency doesn't exceed the Limit setting in the Plug-in Latency section of the General Audio preferences of Logic Pro. Low latency mode is especially useful when you want to record a software instrument in a project that includes latency-inducing plug-ins.

To turn Low Latency Mode on, choose Record > Low Latency Mode.

• Hello, I have almost the same setup as you.

Im running the kemper thru a Focusrite saffire 6 usb. I have no spdif so I use 1 main output and the send output with "git studio" mode on the kemper. In order to record the amp and the plain guitar (for reamping).

Check the kemper output settings. Today I noticed the spdif comes 44khz from factory, that, has to match with your daw frecuency. You can select it in output options. Also, in my kemper stage in the output section I have "pure cabinet" set to 3.0 (comes from factory by default). Maybe you want to change that. I am using 256kb buffer, and 0 latency, listening from the audio interface headphones.

My idea ia to switch to scarlett 6i6 and use spdif to record. It will be interesting to see if the quality changes that much...

Greetings.

PD: to conect via spdif, do you use 2 normal RCA cables?

• After years of using my Kemper strictly for live performances, I'm FINALLY starting to sit down and record with it. Are there are any must-do, or obvious tips that I should be aware of? I ask because the way my tones sound going into my Mac aren't all that impressive. I'm using the same rigs I use live, but when I play live I use 5-driver in-ears and everything sounds amazing. I know they won't sound identical - but my point is, I'm not using a cab or floor monitor live - I'm hearing them through in-ears. For recording, I'm monitoring using a pair of Yamaha HS-8 speakers as well as AudioTechnica ATH-M50x headphones. And it's not just the tone that sounds off. It feels like there is almost a little lag in the playing, and sort of a thin metallic sound behind everything. It's nowhere close to any of the recordings I hear online (I'm using MBritt profiles).

The latency and metallic sound could be settings in the Scarlett control mix.

In simple terms, I've had so many problems with my scarlett and Windows not playing nicely together which results in latency and a small echo ( you can hear the note played without effect. I aslo could not play 2 sound sources at the same time ( wanted to play along with youtube vids). I spent a long time with Ableton ( my DAW) and focusrite support teams basically saying it was windows as a result of competing

Yesterday I tried to install a webcam and use a different mike input and it screwed it again...ARGH.

In the end I played with the mix control ( avoided the zero latency setting), selecting the DAW input and output settings at random until it worked. You can change the latency settings in the mix control BTW.

I can send you my settings if that helps but I'm sure I've set mine up wrong in some way - I ended up trying multiple, random combinations before I got it to sound right.

My point here is that I assumed that windows, focusrite and the DAW were pretty much plug and play but I found loads of problems. Your issue is less likely to be your Kemper, so get those bits sorted first ( if you haven;t already). Then look at the profiles - I find different profiles work better for different applications so your live ones may not be of use to you.

Not sure if this helps or not as I'm a total amateur in the studio...

• A lower buffer decreases latency but increases strain on your computer’s ability to run plugins and virtual instruments. You can print VIs and tracks that use a lot of plugins to eliminate that strain.

You can also use a lower buffer setting when tracking for less latency and then set it to the max when mixing.

These profiles go to 11!

Edited once, last by Guavadude ().

• Thanks! Your issue sounds a LOT like what I'm dealing with. My Kemper sounds fantastic in EVERY other setting. Including when I record straight to our digital mixing board. So I know the issue isn't with the Kemper's sounds. It's somewhere after that. If you're willing to send your settings for the Scarlett, I'd certainly give that a shot. I will say, the Focusrite interface is anything but plug and play; it's a constant headache. So I'm guessing you're right, and my problem is in there somewhere. I'm not using Windows, I'm using a Mac, but again, I think the issue is the Scarlett 6i6.

• I just use one spdif cable - out from the Kemper and in to the Focusrite.

And this way, it is posible to send stereo effects to the audio interface?

Thanks! Your issue sounds a LOT like what I'm dealing with. My Kemper sounds fantastic in EVERY other setting. Including when I record straight to our digital mixing board. So I know the issue isn't with the Kemper's sounds. It's somewhere after that. If you're willing to send your settings for the Scarlett, I'd certainly give that a shot. I will say, the Focusrite interface is anything but plug and play; it's a constant headache. So I'm guessing you're right, and my problem is in there somewhere. I'm not using Windows, I'm using a Mac, but again, I think the issue is the Scarlett 6i6.

You are making me rethink into buying a scarlett 6i6... ?(

• Thanks! Your issue sounds a LOT like what I'm dealing with. My Kemper sounds fantastic in EVERY other setting. Including when I record straight to our digital mixing board. So I know the issue isn't with the Kemper's sounds. It's somewhere after that. If you're willing to send your settings for the Scarlett, I'd certainly give that a shot. I will say, the Focusrite interface is anything but plug and play; it's a constant headache. So I'm guessing you're right, and my problem is in there somewhere. I'm not using Windows, I'm using a Mac, but again, I think the issue is the Scarlett 6i6.

I will take a picture of my settings and post here later.

The Scarlett is an ace piece of gear but I just wanted a simple set up and it doesn't seem easy to do that..

• Hello,

today I got the Scarlett. I have everything working fine. Here are my settings:

Make sure you have the sample rate the same as the kemper and sync source selected acordingly (the sourde is the KEMPER).

In "Settings" I have 256 selected for the buffer.

With ableton I use "Routing preset" -> DAW, in order to just listen the DAW output channels.

Also, I have this inputs activated (I am using 6 channels on the scarlett mix control):

If you have any questions tell me.

Greetings.

• I will post here a question instead of open a new thread. It's about the routing of the signal in order to record the analog guitar signal and the kemper processed one. I have 2 ways to do it and I don't know which one is the best.

1 - Guitar connected into Kemper.

-Kemper S/PDIF out into audio interface S/PDIF in for processed signal.

-Kemper SEND1 with git Studio into interface analog1 input for analog guitar signal.

2 - Guitar connected into Audio interface

- Interface S/PDIF out into Kemper S/PDIF in (I have doubts with the levels of input gain and the output levels on the interface to send a kemper a good leveled dry guitar signal)

- Kemper S/PDIF out into audio interface S/PDIF in for processed signal.

I noticed the wave of the "git studio" from SEND1 in kemper is very low. Is this normal?

Captura.PNG

The simpliest is the first way, but maybe for me is more convenient to tweak the audio interface and leave kemper alone. I don't know, what are your thoughts?

• I usually do it simply via SPDIF out of Kemper to SPDIF in on interface. Output for SPDIF set to Git/Stack so I have the dry signal and the Amp - but no effects from the Effects section. That dry signal has exactly the right level automatically for reamping unless you change anything in the path. Careful when sending it back to the Kemper (I do this via SPDIF again) because you easily can be trapped by your DAW to have level changes or effects put on it. Make sure the pure dry signal is being sent back.

Whenever I want stereo effects from the Kemper I add analog outs from the Kemper to analog ins on my interface and leave the rest unchanged.

• I noticed the wave of the "git studio" from SEND1 in kemper is very low. Is this normal?

Depends a bit on your guitar output, mine looks a bit bigger in the waveform but I use pretty hot pickups in my guitars. Make sure there is no level limitation applied on your SPDIF inputs.

• Looks very similar to mine OhG sorry for delay in posting settings, been so busy...on their way..

• Would I need 2 spdif cables to run interface into Kemper? Out to in, in to out?

Rik

Kemper toaster >Kemper remote> 2 x Alto TS310 powered speakers Furman M-8XAR