Best Way to Boost for Leads?

• I have setup my first performance and I'm trying to tweak it.

Now that I know a little bit I have come up with the following ways to boost a good rig for a lead:

• change the distortion sense in the Morph of the rig (didn't like this)
    • assign a tube screamer to a pre-pedal (was louder but not what I was looking for)
    • assign a compressor to a pre-pedal (barely noticeable)
    • assign a boost to a pre-pedal (best results but still not loud as I thought it should be)
    • add volume under input in Morph mode (seemed to be louder but still wasn't great)

Admittedly I didn't try a post pedal. Maybe boost works better there.

Coming from tube amps - it sure was easier to get a lead tone with a pedal or channel switching there.

So - experienced Kempers, please give me all the ways that you get your best boosted lead tones on your Kemper(s)?

• I am not really a Kemper veteran, but I'd like to share how I did lead boosts. I mainly look of an increase in volume with little effect on the compression when boosting for leads.

1. Added a "cut the mix" Studio EQ on the X Module slot (Was perfect if it did not eat up a slot; I have some 3rd party profiles using all four post stack slots)

2. Increased the Amp volume in the Morph of the rig.

I am sticking on the second one, unless I learn another/a better way of boosting for leads. ^^ :thumbup:

• Hi,

I use morph function to increase the rig volume level (+2db-3db) and possibly increase gain and mids if necessary. I activate the morph by pressing the performance slot button while that same slot is being active as don't have pedal assigned for morph.

Before the morphing feature was available, I used to have clean boost located in X-slot after stack, which also did the trick for me. Nowadays I prefer to use morph as by doing that I can free this X-slot to be used for something else.

• Firstly, don’t use distortion sense that’s not what it’s for and it won’t make tour lead sound louder just more or less distorted.

Assigning any Overdrive pedal before the amp will change the character of the sound in the same way as it would with a tune amp. If the amp itself is relatively clean you will get a volume boost along with the extra grit and tonal changes. However if the amp itself is already dirty and compressed you won’t get much volume boost just more distortion and compression.

Compressor before the amp does the same as overdrive but without adding additional clipping. Which explains why you hear almost no difference.

Assigning a Boost to before the amp will also hit the front of the amp harder so the results will depend on the actual Amp profile.

How are you adding volume under input? Again, anything before the Amp will change the character as well as volume (which may be what you want or may not) but the amp of volume lift will depend on how much gain the underlying amp profile has.

If you are happy with the tone and just wand to make it louder to jump out for solos add the boost/volume increase after the amp or with the amp volume itself.

I would try:

a pure boost pedal after the amp

morphing the rig volume

morphing the amp volume

if you want more gain and a level increase then morph or add an overdrive PLUS increasing rig volume.

Just put a louder solo sound in a separate performance slot.

• I simply create a new rig with more mids, a bit more saturation for sustain and added delay. A boost pedal usually adds the first two elements if you want the same amp and if you are in a two guitar band, you can add more volume. I never understand limiting yourself in rigs with a unit like Kemper; just change patch.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• I use the morph feature. I always have a studio EQ in the X slot, and simply boost the output of that while reducing some treble and bass in the EQ. I sometimes increase the amp gain slightly too.

• great to see that this preset is still being used :)

Is there a preset that i can download? Or can i find the settings anywhere?

So far i used a pure boost in the X-Slot. Works fine, as long as you do not need the slot (or the effect-button on the remote).

• LH it's a Studio Equalizer Preset already in 'Kemper Factory content 7'

Search for it with Rig Manager or scroll the presets list in your KPA:

Category 'Equalizer', Type 'Studio Equalizer', Preset 'EQ Cut the Mix'

• Coming from tube amps ...

Well, of course it depends of the song,

Sometimes the Lead tone it's just the sound with the Guitar's Volume at 10 where the Rithm tone it's Guitar Volume at 7 or so, and the 'Clean' is with Volume at 2/3.

Anyway, Before I started to use Kemper the best way I found it was to switch on an MXR 10 Band EQ and/or a TC Nova Delay if necessary both in the Loop Fx of the Amp

Basically I do the same with Kemper,

I add an EQ (Graphic Eqaulizer) and/or a delay After the Stack section.

Sometimes I save the 'new' Lead Sound as a New Rig, Sometimes I just turn the on and off with a external footswitch. it depens of the situation.

• I simply create a new rig with more mids, a bit more saturation for sustain and added delay. A boost pedal usually adds the first two elements if you want the same amp and if you are in a two guitar band, you can add more volume. I never understand limiting yourself in rigs with a unit like Kemper; just change patch.

+1
    During a solo I like to go to a new patch so I can then set a morph to splash in some pitch harmony or reverb/delay flanger type effect at the crescendo

• This preset is a game changer for me. Works so well with my setup that I leave it On and engage another slot for the boost. :)

Yep - tried "Cut the Mix" tonight and ended up adding to all 5 rigs in that performance it was so good. I'll be using that for a very long time I think.

thanks!