Which DAW are you using with the Kemper?

• I want to thank all of you for your suggestions and help. This is one of the greatest forums I've ever been a part of. Going on 4 years with my Kemper and never been happier. This forum and the people here are friendly and always so very helpful. TO ALL OF YOU THANK YOU!

Rik

Kemper toaster >Kemper remote> 2 x Alto TS310 powered speakers Furman M-8XAR

• Only started couple of weeks ago using the Scarlett 2i2 into GarageBand since it’s built into my MacBook. I was considering Logic PRO since it’s the bigger brother of GB but also looking to branch out to StudioOne. looks like a lot of Reaper fans, I’ll look into that one as well.

• Only started couple of weeks ago using the Scarlett 2i2 into GarageBand since it’s built into my MacBook. I was considering Logic PRO since it’s the bigger brother of GB but also looking to branch out to StudioOne. looks like a lot of Reaper fans, I’ll look into that one as well.

I'm using the Scarlett 6i6. Theo663 let me know if you have any tips when using Garageband. I've only begun to scratch the surface. Thanks.

Rik

Kemper toaster >Kemper remote> 2 x Alto TS310 powered speakers Furman M-8XAR

• Right now it’s going down the rabbit hole but it’s bringing a lot of things to light before I invest in anything more involved. Quick lessons learned:
    - To get the true Kemper profile sound I realized there is a “transparent” preamp setting in the amp selection. it auto loads a British clean amp that made it sound thin/bad and had me second guessing the 2i2 until I figured this out

- it can export all tracks into WAV files that can be loaded into the other higher end DAWs for better editing.

- Adding 3rd party plug-ins is my next challenge.

So far it has allowed me to get into recording and get ideas down on “digital” paper. Always looking to get more educated in this process. Happy recording...

• I've been using Pro Tools since late 2011 because a license came with the Eleven Rack I had just purchased. I was using Reaper and never looked back, and that was even with Pro Tools being as bad as it was back then. It's a high-maintanance system. Reaper, which I had before, ran without issues. PT would not. To this day, I have a dedicated computer just to run PT on. I do love the workflow, but I would never reccomend the platform to anyone. Too much to manage for a hobby. Fall in love with something else. Anything else.

Has reaper's workflow improved a lot over 9 years?

Drum VIs are almost all Superior drummer 3 by ToonTracks. There are some quirks about SD3 that I do not like. Exporting individual tracks will not include the effects nor the results of the effects. Mostly I just import the mic feeds and recreate what I want within Pro Tools. Either way, great care has to be taken to ensure that you run in phase as much as possible. Also, the files are very high amplitude and volume. They need to be reined in. As the rest of the world is tracking somewhere between -22 to -18dbfs (average RMS) and around -10dbfs peak. some of these tracks can push -8dbfs (RMS) -3dbfs peak. Very hot and almost too much of that digital purity thing. Not the easiest to mix in well if trying to do a full on Rock production. The bugs seem to be all sussed out, though, and knowing what to manage makes life much easier. I might try Addictive drums. A couple of the kits have a cymbal sound I like.

• Just note that reaper is NOT free ... The evaluation period is not limited in time, the the evaluation version is full featured (only a pause of 5sec at startup). But it is not free ... AND really cheap 65$ lifetime license and eligible to get all the current version updates AND the next major update (so the version 7.0) and its updates as well..

• Been a Cubase user for a long time. But if it had been today I probably would end up with something else.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• Just note that reaper is NOT free ... The evaluation period is not limited in time, the the evaluation version is full featured (only a pause of 5sec at startup). But it is not free ... AND really cheap 65$ lifetime license and eligible to get all the current version updates AND the next major update (so the version 7.0) and its updates as well..

I actually said in my post that Reaper is $65 for the license.

And I said that there's a free version of Reaper, because there is lol. There's a fully featured free trial version and it has no limitations. And I proceeded to point out that whenever someone is ready to buy the license, that's its a pretty affordable $65.

But the initial download IS free and the trial version is the full DAW. So the lifetime license is $65 and optional, and the program download for Reaper is free.

The info is all there :)

I tried to be clear but, sorry if any of my wording was confusing to you or anything like that. Not my intention lol.

• No, the license is not optional after 60 days. REAPER assumes people who evaluate their software

will be honest and buy a license if they continue to use the software. Unfortunately, a lot people

take advantage of this. This is the world we live in today. The following below is shown every time the software is run.

--------------

REAPER IS NOT FREE

It is a paid software product.

If you use it more than 60 days you are required to purchase a license.

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

• Pro Tools, Mundo, Adobe Audition with a bunch of VSTi amd plugins. Using to com pode and make vídeo soundtracks and pre/post production. Must confess that Nuendo os by far my favorite.

I work in post and we were looking to replace PT with Nuendo, as PT is just so damned bug-ridden. Unfortunately, the editing is so fast in PT that we couldn’t abandon it, no matter that Nuendo is far superior in every other way ;(

• Actually there is a 'Still evaluating' button. I used it several time before I purchased the license I currently have.

• Dude, nowhere in my post did I say to take advantage of anything. YOU misread my post. Don't be that guy starting stuff over nothing lol.

Reaper IS free to download. It is free for a trial period (yes of 60 days), in which there is no limitation of features. The license is cheap and is only $65. But it IS optional at first. You can use Reaper for free for the trial period after downloading it for free initially, and aren't obligated to buy the any license while you're trying it out. So yeah man, technically Reaper is totally free to try out, and if you like it the license is cheap after the trial period. That's all I'm trying to say and that's what you were saying too. We're both saying the same thing man lol.

No one said you were wrong. I said you were correct and that I also had stated the same facts in my post, which I did.

Come on man, this is a friendly forum and you picked apart my post to point out that I didn't say something, which was untrue because I actually gave the same info you gave. If you wanna get crazy technical we can but is it really worth it? Lol we're both on the same page.

Edit : I'm really not trying to be hostile or argue with you. I think there was a misunderstanding along way because I actually included in my first post that the license was in fact $65 and in doing so, was pointing out that it was only free for the initial download and trial period. Technically, it is free. But not forever. But technically, it's free to try out lol.

We're both saying the same thing so there's no need for confrontation or picking apart each other's posts. I know you meant well and I meant well also. No harm done:)