Cracks with SPDIF recording

• Even if I record in Analog, I still get some crackles, but they seem less obvious than in SPDIF.

Okay, finally the SPDIF doesn't seem to be the problem? Good. I assumed that in the beginning if you remember.

I have noticed that the DI tracks sometimes clip if I hit the strings really hard.

I have noticed that they seem to appear more in my rythm playing, especially when I play heavy palm mutes and sudden dynamic changes.

How hot are the pickups you use? Try another guitar with lower output just for test reasons.

Finally: I still assume - and it has been mentioned often in this thread - that your buffer settings are not appropriate. Try to monitor yourself not going through the interface and DAW and increase the buffer significantly for test reasons.

• I would suggest testing the signal chain from the back (recording DAW) to the front (signal source).

Take a tone generator (cell phone with function generator) and record the tone (1 kHz or white noise) for several minutes directly.

In the next step, connect the cell phone to Kemper Return and record the signal again.

You need an adapter mini jack to 1/4 "jack, and a function generator app.

I also use this to test reproducible amplifiers, microphones, etc.

Android

https://play.google.com/store/…l.functiongenerator&hl=en

iOS

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/…ion-generator/id768229610

Be the force with you ;)

• Does it only happen when your daw is open or all the time?

are you muting the signal in the focusrite controller when you are monitoring through your daw?

i run my spdif vol around -5db. If i run it closer to 0db it cracks and pops when playing rhythms.

im using the focusrite 6i6 as well

• Finally: I still assume - and it has been mentioned often in this thread - that your buffer settings are not appropriate. Try to monitor yourself not going through the interface and DAW and increase the buffer significantly for test reasons.

Yes please try that.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Hm double post. Please delete.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Hi! Thank you all for the answers.

Today I ran some tests: I tried to play with 3 different guitars with 3 different pickups, humbuckers and splits.

You actually inspired me to test my sound chain, so I plugged my headphones directly in the headphones output of the KPA, and guess what? All 3 guitars made cracks even when I was listening directly through headphone output of the KPA.

To be sure I wasn't crazy, I launched Logic Pro and recorded the 3 guitars, and in every recording, I could hear these little crack...

I also tried to played with different profiles. Cracks again.

So what can we conclude from that? Are these cracks normal? Would I get them also if I played through a real amp? Does my profiler have an issue?

PS: I have tried to use another cable. It didn't fix the problem.

Edited 2 times, last by Xisale ().

• I once had clicks caused by electrostatic discharge to bad shielded pu introduced by moving the hand on the pickguard

You can try moving your hand like playing but without picking the strings to see if this leads to clicks

Cheers

• Does the master button turn red when you play?

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• I once had clicks caused by electrostatic discharge to bad shielded pu introduced by moving the hand on the pickguard

You can try moving your hand like playing but without picking the strings to see if this leads to clicks

Cheers

I could try that, but considering that I got the cracks with 3 different guitars, this seems very unlikely. My main axe is a luthier's custom model with Dominger pickups and shielded electronics...

• If you have a friend who has another interface you could borrow temporarily, you can check if the problem is your interface. I have a soundcard that seems to work differently from season to season and I can't wait to replace it. Welcome to the rabbit hole of troubleshooting recording issues. How many times I had to re-track the same thing twice or more is actually embarrassing. Good luck.

• I think we can rule out the interface if it happens on the Kemper headphone output as well. Could you post a recording of it perhaps?

• I think we can rule out the interface if it happens on the Kemper headphone output as well. Could you post a recording of it perhaps?

I posted a short extract in my very first post in this topic :) There is a very audible crack in the beginning plus multiple other little cracks after that.

If you have a friend who has another interface you could borrow temporarily, you can check if the problem is your interface. I have a soundcard that seems to work differently from season to season and I can't wait to replace it. Welcome to the rabbit hole of troubleshooting recording issues. How many times I had to re-track the same thing twice or more is actually embarrassing. Good luck.

It's definitely not the interface this time (surprisingly). Thanks for your support!

• Thanks I gave it a listen. Hard to discern precisely but doesn't sound high pitched enough to be a digital click. Can't offer any help but to contact support. Just curios, if you zoom in on the waveform of the cracks in the DAW what does it look like?

• I have a 6i6 and had the popping cracking problem. Change your buffer size and lower the spdif volme quite a bit. I dont think the 6i6 can handle the volume. It sounds nuts but it worked for me.

I plugged in an xlr to the front and realized the spdif vol was WAY louder so i adjusted accordingly

hope this helps

• I followed Tim's advice and tried to push "init globals" on the system menu: It worked!!

I still don't know exactly what the problem was but now I don't have cracks anymore.

Thank you Tim!! And thank you all for your help. I'm sure it will still be useful in the future.