Input profiler stage

• See here:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• Input Noise gate is a general noise reduction on the input signal for removing guitar noise rather than a traditional noise gate. I would set it as low as you can get away with. I am not a super high gain player so mine is rarely about 2 or 3 but others may use it differently.

There isn't a dedicated input gain to control what hits the AD converters but Clean Sense has an effect on this. Fortunately, the KPA input is quite forgiving so you don't need to get too obsessive about input level.

The main use of Clean Sense is as a global balance between clean and distorted sounds. If clean sounds are all too loud compared to distorted sounds reduce Clean Sense. If too quiet increase Clean Sense. Kemper say that most situations it should be set at 0 however, all of my guitars seem to sound way too loud on clean profiles so I usually run mine around -7db. The correct setting for one person won't be the correct one for someone else. In fact the correct setting may vary from guitar to guitar. You can set it once and lock it or set a different value for each rig/performance if you change guitars a lot.

Distortion sense is a global adjustment for distrotion. It doesn't affect level but compensates the gain within a profile for guitars with unsually loud or quiet pickups. This is usually set to 0 but can be adjusted to taste if required. It is intended as a means of matching a guitar to the profiler so is really a global setting not a something you would adjust on a rig by rig basis (unless you are changing guitars and they have wildly different output pickups).

I really is a suck it and see menu that is best set with your ears rather than logic or preconcieved "correct" V "wrong".

• Great explanation, thanks a lot! ??