is it possible to use the looper of the HD 500 with KMP?

• Hello my friends,

is it possible to use the looper of the HD 500 with KMP and how do I make the connections?

panhandle

• If you want to use both the pre/post options of the hd 500 looper you should use its fx loop. Setting would be:
    Guitar -> hd500 guitar in -> hd500 fx send -> kemper guitar in -> kemper main outs -> hd500 fx return -> hd 500 main outs -> Pa

Then all you need in the hd500 is an empty patch with only an fx-loop anywhere in the signal chain and mix of course at 100%.

Do you use the monitor-output of your kemper with an amp to make it loud? Because if you do the setup would be, that you go the other way round. You put the hd500 into the fx-loop of the kemper. And i'd put it after the amp in the X block. Signalchain is as above, only switch "kemper" and "hd500" ;) And in this case you can leave the hd 500 patch totaly naked.
    In this scenario you only have one option, pre or post (no matter what you press on the Hd500) depending on whether you put the fx-loop in the X-Block of your kemper or into one of the stomps.

I hope that helped! I'm from germany so maybe my words are bit messed up on this one... :P

EDIT: Ah I just thought the "4 cable method" should also work. But its a bit more complicated:
    Guitar -> HD500 guitar in -> Hd 500 Fx send -> Kemper guitar in -> Kemper fx send -> HD500 FX return - > HD500 main outs -> Kemper FX return -> Kemper Output (no matter if main or monitor)
    You again need a HD Patch with nothing on in but the fx-loop (mix 100%). The fx-loop of the kemper MUST be in the X-block. That way you'd have both pre and post options of the looper and could still use any output setup the kemper, that you prefer.

Edited once, last by Steeldom ().

I'm using the KPA + HD 500 with the 4 CM.
    I put the KPA in the Loop of the HD 500.
    I only use the KPA's amp and not its effects ATM, as there's still some controllability missing from the Kemper FX (Delay Mix, wink wink nudge nudge).
    Of the HD I only use the FX.

Agreed! This strategy of connecting the KPA to the HD500's FX Loop is becoming my main path for my live rig. Just wish the LCD Display on the HD500 was more legible!! But I find all Line 6 LCD displays tough to read.

Still looking forward to :

* Official KPA Foot Pedal release
    * Improved internal FX on the KPA, with stable real time control

• Agreed! This strategy of connecting the KPA to the HD500's FX Loop is becoming my main path for my live rig. Just wish the LCD Display on the HD500 was more legible!! But I find all Line 6 LCD displays tough to read.

Still looking forward to :

* Official KPA Foot Pedal release
    * Improved internal FX on the KPA, with stable real time control

+ 111111!
    Sums it up perfectly!

• I'm using the KPA + HD 500 with the 4 CM.
    I put the KPA in the Loop of the HD 500.
    I only use the KPA's amp and not its effects ATM, as there's still some controllability missing from the Kemper FX (Delay Mix, wink wink nudge nudge).
    Of the HD I only use the FX.

I'm doing the same 4 CM using the KPA + Boss GT-10 MultiEffect unit.
    In this case I use the KPA, in the loop send-return as the "real AMP" and the GT-10 for the other effect chain.

Other times I use the KPA alone with its effect build in, and they are less programmable and flexible, but very good.

• I'm considering an HD500 to use for extra effects and as a MIDI controller. Are there any examples of the 2 being used together I may check out?

What examples are you looking for/ do you need?
    I use this combination exactly like I described above and ist does exactly what I (and you) want: FX & Midi Controller.

• What examples are you looking for/ do you need?
    I use this combination exactly like I described above and ist does exactly what I (and you) want: FX & Midi Controller.

Nothing specific, I guess I'm just trying to see if the combo of the two is worth it, or would I be better of using a Behringer FCB1010 and a few stomp boxes. Probably also trying to live vicariously though people who already have their KPA while I wait for mine. :whistling:

• The combination works great.
    The HD 500 FX (= M 13, actually) are goodies anyway. Not to forgot the looper...

Yeah I went and ordered both the Kemper and POD HD500 from Sweetwater. It seems like a good combo and I'm a big old school looper guy from way back... I think I've owned most of them including the old Line6 Rack Delay. Word on the street is it won't sync the loop to a MIDI clock. That's a shame. Still, it would be nice to own a hardware looper again I guess.

• Yeah I went and ordered both the Kemper and POD HD500 from Sweetwater. It seems like a good combo and I'm a big old school looper guy from way back... I think I've owned most of them including the old Line6 Rack Delay. Word on the street is it won't sync the loop to a MIDI clock. That's a shame. Still, it would be nice to own a hardware looper again I guess.

I just wanted to post that I'm finding the POD HD500/Kemper combo to be a really amazing pair. Here's a hint: HD500 amps can be your new favorite fuzzboxes if you turn off the cab section and add an eq. I'm just running the HD500 in the Kemper's effect loop but the fact that I can put it post or pre amp (awesome feature of the Kemper) is more than enough for flexibility. I don't need both at the same time.

I've had a lot of luck getting super cool, non traditional sound using a wah pedal (Kemper or Line6) post amp.

• I just wanted to post that I'm finding the POD HD500/Kemper combo to be a really amazing pair. Here's a hint: HD500 amps can be your new favorite fuzzboxes if you turn off the cab section and add an eq. I'm just running the HD500 in the Kemper's effect loop but the fact that I can put it post or pre amp (awesome feature of the Kemper) is more than enough for flexibility. I don't need both at the same time.

I've had a lot of luck getting super cool, non traditional sound using a wah pedal (Kemper or Line6) post amp.

That's an interesting suggestion. I will try that once, thanks. ATM I do it the other way round: KPA in the loop of the HD. I could do the same experiment with the HD amps though...

• Did you guys feel any latency between using the hd 500 and not using it? I have the same combination but when I disconnected the HD I had the feeling everything felt much better. But I wonder if I'm imagining it...

• Did you guys feel any latency between using the hd 500 and not using it? I have the same combination but when I disconnected the HD I had the feeling everything felt much better. But I wonder if I'm imagining it...

I don't feel that the combination of HD 500 + KPA introduces more latency.
    Theoretically, yes (twice A/D conversion), but not perceivable by me.