Camplifier 290 with Kabinet, low volume.

• I have a Camplifier 290 and a Kabinet. As the title says, I do not get much volume from the Kabinet.

If I crank the vol on the Camplifier to 10, I get maybe 65-70 db sitting about 3 feet from the Kabinet.

I would think that 90w into 4ohms would be extremely loud, but it is not.

Does anybody have suggestions as to what I might be missing? Are other Camplifier users needing to crank the rig/output volumes? Using an old Fender PA seems to work.

Any help/suggestions are appreciated.

Cheers,

• I see that you have both your main and monitor output levels at -12.1dB. If that's where whichever one is connected to Camplifier is set when you're not getting the volume you want, try turning that one up. There's no problem with having the outputs at 0dB.

• Thanks guys.

I've been using the monitor out to a Bose L1, DXR10, or XiTone powered cab and they all have performed perfectly with the Monitor vol at -12db or so.

I guess I was expecting that to be the case with the Camplifier. I'll re-install the Camplifier and try those settings after work.

Cheers,

Dave

• And, completely apart from the wattage an amp puts out, amps differ in how much signal they need in order to be driven to their full output. It's likely that the Camplifier expects a hotter input signal than the powered monitors you're used to do in order to put out its full output.

• And, completely apart from the wattage an amp puts out, amps differ in how much signal they need in order to be driven to their full output. It's likely that the Camplifier expects a hotter input signal than the powered monitors you're used to do in order to put out its full output.

Interesting thought as well, thanks. It was built exclusively for the Toaster.

• Some Helix users report obviously better sound quality with their Powercabs if they max out the volume of the Helix and back off the volume on the Powercab. This makes sense if the sound source output (Helix) is wasting bit depth in the digital domain when the user lowers the output volume.

Every 6dB down is one bit of digital resolution. So 36 dBs down at the output (digital volume control) is 6 bits of the available ~20 bits for your signal above the noise floor - so you have 14 bits above the noise floor in this scenario.

If signal to noise at the output is only 108dB then you have 18 bits and 12 bits instead of 20 and 14.

The response of the monitoring device amp could also be better with a hotter signal.