Refining profiles with different guitar volumes

• After profiling an amp and starting the refining process, do you refine at the different guitar volumes? I figure a person who likes rock to metal would profile with the guitar at max volume, but if you're a person who also backs down the guitar volume, should those tones be included in the refinement process?

• Hi. I guess the "proper" way to do it is to adjust these different settings

( rock / metal vs softer blues tones ) on the amp before profiling :/

In other words : if the amp reacts to volume changes on the guitar

in a way you like , profile that setting of the amp .......

Cheers !

The adjective for metal is metallic. But not so for iron ... which is ironic.

• Thanx for the info Hoki and I'm gonna experiment with this later. So since you can profile without refining, the sound would be close between the kemper and reference whether you compare a strat with low output vs Les Paul w high output. So if you refine and do the volume changes on the guitar, will it get you even closer, or is it just actually a snapshop in time of a specific amp and guitar at the given guitar volume?

• Well, a real amp reacts differently to different guitars and pups,

and so do the profile in KPA, witch by definition is "a snap shot"

of the amp setting there and then while profiling.

Do different profiles of the same amp with different guitars if

you want more sounds and possibilities .

There´s plenty of room in the KPA :P

Cheers !

The adjective for metal is metallic. But not so for iron ... which is ironic.

• Thanx for the info Hoki and I'm gonna experiment with this later. So since you can profile without refining, the sound would be close between the kemper and reference whether you compare a strat with low output vs Les Paul w high output. So if you refine and do the volume changes on the guitar, will it get you even closer, or is it just actually a snapshop in time of a specific amp and guitar at the given guitar volume?

That's not completely correct. Refining minimizes the difference between the profile and the actual reference sound. This is applied to the profile which will react to your guitars. Which guitar you use for this is not significantly important. I wouldn't say that there are no differences but they are so small that it's hard to tell if they really come from different guitars or if they come from different playing or a slightly shorter or longer time of refining. Refining is really important for getting the tone. Without refining you will never be close to the reference and sometimes you have to repeat the refining process to get the last percent out of it.

I compared that for myself and made the exact same profile twice. One refined with my PRS Tremonti with the Tremonti pickups which are so high output that I have to set the clean sense to -12 and than with my Tele with low output single coils. The difference between both profiles was so small, I've repeated this several times and for me there was just a tiny, tiny bit of difference in the low end response which was for my ears better in the profile refined with the Tele. I can't even tell you which profile was more close to the reference I just had the feeling I liked it more. So it's more voodoo.