S/PDIF Input Reamp Not working ?

• Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out how to reamp with my gear. After reading and watching for days, I decided to ask for your help since I'm stuck.

First the hardware and software:

Kemper Powered Head - OS and Rig Manager up to date

Audio Interface and Software: Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2nd Gen w/ Focusrite Control 3.5 (Firmware is up to date)

Operating System: MacOS 10.14.6 (Mojave)

DAW: Logic Pro X 10.4.6

I have followed this tutorial majorly:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

--> I have no problem recording via SPDIF - Both Git and Stack channels are routing correctly and I am able to record both at once into two separate tracks.

--> Playback is fine, clock is locked to SPDIF / 44.1kHz

Here comes the fun part:

Following the tutorial video (mentioned above) starting at 7:25 the guy is setting the input source to SPDIF Input Reamp. It makes sense since now the input is not the front input (the instrument) anymore but should be the DI track with the SPDIF output right? But once you roll the video to around 7:45 and he picks the DI signal track (input spdif L - output SPDIF) and he strums the guitar he gets no signal BUT I DO! So here comes question 1:

When my Kemper input source is set to SPDIF input reamp, I still get signal from my guitar which is plugged in the front input. Is that the case with you guys as well?

Following the tutorial I have the exact same settings. Only once difference: My output is not called SPDIF L/R as his but Output 5-6. I have double checked my I/O labels in Logic, output 5-6 is not defined as SPDIF L/R. So I updated both the firmware and the mixing software of the audio interface. Nothing has changed. Please see the screen shots.

Is it possible that Focusrite Control is responsible for not routing the SPDIF out correctly for reamp?

I can't find a proper solution thinking about it. I think I'm out of options and most of the time just a simple trick or a click will do the job but I can't find it. I hope you guys can help me!

Cheers

• Sorry to read that, I manage to reamp through SPDIF without any problem but I use different OS, Audio Interface, and DAW so I can't fix Your problem, but I can answer to this:

When my Kemper input source is set to SPDIF input reamp, I still get signal from my guitar which is plugged in the front input. Is that the case with you guys as well?

Yes, me too, and I notice that at some point the Kemper cut the sound off from the front input for one second or so.

It sounds to me like when the battery of my wireless transmiter is going to die.. it starts to cut off the sound for a second. Maybe the Kemper do the same just to remind to switch the imput source... I don't know.

• Thanks for the answer Sollazzon. So it is safe to say it is possible to hear the live guitar even the input source is set to SPDIF input reamp. Maybe after one of those updates this became the standart.

I have tried to troubleshoot. I changed the SPDIF output to Master Stereo instead of Git / Stack and I have this constant beep like feedback. Any ideas why?

• Maybe 'cause You're creating a Loop on the Left channel of SPIDIF. Keep the SPDIF out on GIt/Stack,

One question:

Once You have:

1) Your DI guitar Track recorded (I see You got it)

2) setted the Input source of the Kemper on SPDIF Reamp,

3) setted in your DAW the Output of the track of Your DI to one of the SPDIF of Your Scarlett,

When You click play in Your DAW (sending that track via SPDIF out of Your Scarlett to the Kemper),

can You see the leds above the 'Input' soft button and the 'Output' Soft button on Kemper working ?

Do you see the Kemper is receiving and processing the DI signal?

• Ive got 2nd Gen so not yet moved to the SPDIF Optical... still, when i switch the input to SPDIF Input Reamp, my guitar still plays (as if the input still set to the front input), and the Reamp doesnt really send anything to the DI track that i had just recorded:(

• anyone with any feedback.... this may just be the only reason i'd end up letting my profiler go... which i really dont want but struggling with the DI signal setup which is wasting tons of time:( Please help

• reamping with SPDIF is super easy and works flawlessly with the Kemper and my old Focurite Saffire interface into Logic. If it isn’t working it is almost certainly a setting in the DAW or interface rather than a problem with the Kemper.

True... and thats why it is a bit frustrating... now when im thinking about it in more detail, i did try reamping back in the day when i first bought the KPA and back then i was using Cubase before i switched to Logic... guess it needs more of a hit and trial on the DAW to get it working somehow.... thanks for getting me to think on these lines....

• Hi all,

I had the same problem and figured out a fix that I thought I would share. I came across it by sheer luck.

1) there shouldn't be a signal in this instance.

2) to fix it: I plugged a xlr into the return input and then unplugged it when the input is set to spdif reamp and it all of a sudden works aka I can remap.

How I record the reamp:

In Ableton set Ext in on DI track to 5 and Ext out to 6

Create another track set Ext in to 6 and Ext out to master. Arm this track.

Solo The DI track and press record.