Reamping with Kemper (without S/PDIF)

• Hello!

I've been frustrated trying to figure out how to reamp DI tracks in my DAW using the Kemper Profile Amp.

With the setup and routing (mentioned below) I only get a loud feedback noise when trying to record on the Reamp Track and get no signal.

This is my setup:

- Kemper Profile Rack

- Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

- Pro Tools

Routing in my Kemper Profile Rack:

Input Source: Return Input Reamp

Output Source: Main Output (Master Mono)

Routing to and from Focusrite interface:

Line 3 Output (interface) to Return Input (Kemper) using a 1/4" patch cable

Mic 1 Input (interface) to Main Output (Kemper) using an XLR cable

In my DAW (Pro Tools):

DI GTR Track (already recorded DI track):

Input: none

Output: Line 3

Reamp GTR Track:

Input: Mic 1

Output Line 1-2 (goes out to my monitors)

---

Let me know if my routing is incorrect or if there's another solution.

I'm tempted on buying S/PIDF cables cause it seems like more of an efficient process.

---

Been searching the internet and these forums and I still can't figure this out.

The video Kemper posted on their YouTube channel is very vague and did not help much either.

Been losing my mind for a week.

Thank you!

• Hi, welcome to the forum.

At first glance your setup looks good. Can't see any obvious mistakes in the connections. As I do not use Focusrite interface and ProTools I assume that there's something going on with monitoring which creates the feedback loop. Take a deep break, sit back and review the internal routing in the software once again. Try to follow the signal path if you see signal on the right way.

Anyway I can recommend the SPDIF for reamping. I use it all the time and it is really straight forward and delivers best signal quality with least AD/DA conversions. Nevertheless if there is something going wrong in your software the switch over to SPDIF will probably not solve this or vice versa suffer from the same problem.

Maybe somebody else here in this great community who also uses Focusrite & ProTools can have a look at your settings.

Fingers crossed that you solve it soon - it's such a great tool to have the Kemper for reamping.

• I’ve had that feedback problem, even when reamping through spdif. The issue is the mixer on the Focusrite Scarlett. I bet you listen/monitor to the «wrong» channel.

When I had RME UCX I found out that I couldn’t pull up the channel fader for the Kemper input in totalmix. That was because I had the fader for the output also up, meaning the send. And one doesn’t adjust the level of send from the interface mixer. That is only for monitoring. If my memory serves me correct, that is. Check if your output 3 channel fader is up or down on the Focusrite mixer. If it’s up, pull it down.

If there is no sound sent out to the Kemper, make sure the send/output isn’t muted in your DAW. ?

• Yeah make sure you mute/pull down the channels in the audio cards mixer. Please report back if that changes things. I would also try listening to the Kemper via headphones to hear what that sounds like.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM