Kemper Kabinet - comparison between TC Electronic BAM200 and Fryette PS-2

• Hi Kemper users

I compared TC Electronic BAM200 and Fryette PS-2 poweramps with Kemper Kabinet.

While playing, it was hard to tell the difference.

On a recorded video they seem to sound bit different.

Decide yourself, if there is any difference. Enable subtitles to see more.

First I play TC Electronic BAM200 and then Fryette PS-2 - sloppy playing, just to have a taste...

"Bogner shiva heavy" profile - RigExchange r.u.sirious with Celestion V30 Imprint (Bass Boost of, Directivity around 2.0)

Recorded with mic of Huawei Mate 20 mixed with ZOOM H1 recorder.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Edited 3 times, last by skoczy ().

• Does the TC Electronic unit have a front panel setting that's actually flat-response? If it's a bass amp I'd expect it has a response curve tailored to that application. Too bad there's no loop jacks.

• Does the TC Electronic unit have a front panel setting that's actually flat-response? If it's a bass amp I'd expect it has a response curve tailored to that application. Too bad there's no loop jacks.

All EQ was flat on TC Electronic. Input at noon. Master Vol around 10 o clock.

• Thanks for the video. I have the BAM200 and think it does a great job with the Kabinet. Trying to keep it all in perspective knowing that FOH is getting the signal straight from the KPA and this is for monitoring live on stage with a band, unless you're going in ears which means you don't use the Kabinet anyway. In that context especially with a band I don't think we'll hear major differences between several of the power amp options that are available. Any differences will most likely be covered by other instruments etc. YMMV and there's probably no wrong answer, but for the money the BAM is a great choice in my opinion.

• All EQ was flat on TC Electronic. Input at noon. Master Vol around 10 o clock.

i notice you have gain at 12 o clock on the BAM, i havnt been able to go past 9 o clock noodling on some clean stuff :). If you dialled the gain back a tad you would likely get them even more similar (if wanted to, BAM seems to sound more agressive and clearer the more gain thrown at it). Very helpful clip though, thanks for taking the time

• Were you using the flat settings on the Power Station? That seems to yield more uniform results for me.

I was looking at the BAM200 but it doesn't seem to do much more than my EHX 44 Magnum... and TC Electronic company are NOT very customer friendly... so I think I'll be avoiding them.I'm sure another ICE based unit will be coming along geared more specifically to profilers/modelers... at least that's what I'm holding out for.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Were you using the flat settings on the Power Station? That seems to yield more uniform results for me.

I was looking at the BAM200 but it doesn't seem to do much more than my EHX 44 Magnum... and TC Electronic company are NOT very customer friendly... so I think I'll be avoiding them.I'm sure another ICE based unit will be coming along geared more specifically to profilers/modelers... at least that's what I'm holding out for.

Does the BAM200 use an IcePower module? If so, there will be a clear point where a pair of loop jacks can be wired in.

• Wow. Never even heard of anyone smoking a DXR before. Yamaha does have a 7 year warranty. They should make it right for you.

Thanks for the comparison!

I was about to take DXR-10 to electro garbage point today. Jusy connected Kemper once more, to make sure.

And it works :huh:

Although I've seen gray smoke coming out of speaker few days ago :|

If I get time today, I will compare DXR-10 to Kabinet...

• I was about to take DXR-10 to electro garbage point today. Jusy connected Kemper once more, to make sure.

I'd be interested in this

'You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead' - Stan Laurel

• I was about to take DXR-10 to electro garbage point today. Jusy connected Kemper once more, to make sure.

Did you buy the DXR new? If so, all you need is the receipt. I purchased my DSR112 from Guitar Center and got my receipt sent to me through email so even if you don't have the original receipt, you can likely still get it.

It really shouldn't smoke ..... ever :)

You've obviously managed to get the smoke to go back in! I've never been that lucky...

• This is an interesting video, skoczy . Thanks.

I have a Fryette PS-2 as well, so I think my project for today will be comparing it to my powered Kemper.