KPA user with a lot of questions!

• Hi
    I'm Jeff, french music amateur, 33 years old and I love playing, well, trying to play metal songs. I bought to a friend a Kemper and from this time I can't stop saying "why the f**k I didn't heard about this magical box before???!!! "

For this moment I play with my cheap headphones but I'm looking for an external system like cab+power amp and I guess this comunity can help me to find the best way to figure it out. Even if my english isn't so good 8o

Each music have to be listen with its own volume...

• Hi, welcome and have fun here in the forum and with your Kemper. Sounds like the fun is already going on, very good :thumbup:8)

Regarding your question: There are several ways to achieve what you want and I would suggest you search the forum for recent threads on Studio Monitors, FRFR solutions like Headrush 108 or Yamaha DXR10 and finally: The Kemper Kone. Try to learn more from those threads first.

Personally I use a pair of decent studio monitors at home (Adam A7x) for learning, rehearsing and studio work. With the band I use an FRFR monitor (db Techmologies but many other will do the job). And definitely I wil have a look at the Kemper Kabinet (with the Kone in it) in the upcoming weeks.

• Bienvenue !

deadman42 has right.

Headrush or DXR series for FRFR speakers. so in direct to a sono installation with a group is good too.

In home monitor yamaha HS or Adam A series are excellent solutions quality/price with a Audio Interface and you'll play in stereo.

Kemper Kone is promising but it's not amplified.

• Hi Jeff,

welcome to the family!

You can e.g. buy the Kemper Kone Speaker and put it in a Speaker Box. I did that with a Palmer Box and for amplification with an tc electronic Bam 200 Amp. In my opinion it sounds great and is not that expensive.

Kemper Head - Kemper Remote - Palmer Box with Kemper Kone - TC Electronic BAM200 - Laney LFR 112

Edited once, last by hafi19 ().

• Thanks for yours welcomes
    I have this in my head for the moment:

-Monitoring: Yamaha hs5
    -cab and power amp: 2x12 celestion v30 and harley benton gp400
    -cab and pedal power amp: magnum 44w

-combo Marshall valvestate8240

I'm afraid about the combo that can give a colour over the KPA'sound, I guess it won't be transparent.
    I'm afraid about the HS5 monitoring system doesn't have enough punch on the attack

I'm afraid that the magnum 44w is powerless...

Well, I'm playing in my appartment so I don't need a stage system, but before I had little 15w marshall dfx, and what I felt, with a big amplifier the sound have a better presence I mean, it sounds pure, deep even if you play not loud.... Do you confirm?

Each music have to be listen with its own volume...

• It's true HS5 lacks bass, no punch, but it's normal. ( even with settings HIGH TRIM and ROOM at 0db)

But in an apartment it's enough because neighborgs and the bass goes more easily through the walls and floors than the treble.

I don't know if it's worth having a subwoofer.

The combos color the sound. event if u plug directly KPA into the return loop of your amp, there are something...

It is better a neutral enclosure speaker with the kemper.

• Well, I'm playing in my appartment so I don't need a stage system, but before I had little 15w marshall dfx, and what I felt, with a big amplifier the sound have a better presence I mean, it sounds pure, deep even if you play not loud.... Do you confirm?

For that situation you should definitely take a look at the Kemper Kabinet & Kone. There are lots of voices here saying that it gives you proper amp-in-the-room feeling even at bedroom volumes. Haven't tried yet but I am very keen as well.

• Welcome to the forum! If you're only planning on putting a guitar through the system, then the Kone will be great for you. However, if you're looking to push voice and backing tracks through, such as mixing for a duo or single act, then I would go with a powered speaker that's more suitable, such as the DXR10. No doubt there will be other opinions though :)

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Hi, Jeff.

Will you be doing any recording? If so, that's where the Yamaha HS 5 speakers will give the best value, as they're studio reference monitors. The goal with those and all their competitors is to help give you a mix you can trust, i.e. it sounds good on those speakers and then also in your car, on your home stereo, at a friend's house, etc.

As others have noted, using a traditional guitar cab will color your sound as the speaker coloration is already included in the overall sound you get in a profile. That's why some people like to use FRFR speakers like the Headrush or DXR10. Like a studio reference monitor, it's designed to "tell the truth" and give you exactly what was in the profile, speakers and all.

I don't have any experience with the Headrush (though many here speak well of them), but I own the DXR 10s. You can run your Kemper directly into the DXR10 or Headrush and I promise they're both capable of getting louder than your neighbors will tolerate. No power issues with either.

If it were me, I'd suggest this not buying these:

-cab and power amp: 2x12 celestion v30 and harley benton gp400 (see below)

-cab and pedal power amp: magnum 44w (see below)

-combo Marshall valvestate8240 (there are tons of Marshall profiles available for your Kemper)

And considering one of these for just playing guitar - they're powered, can be as loud or soft as you like, and won't color your profiles like a traditional cab will:

DXR10 or Headrush

If you're going to be recording:

Yamaha HS 5 (in addition to your powered speakers above for just playing guitar)

Audio interface

DAW software (see below)

If you don't have a recording setup, many audio interfaces come with a free version of a good quality DAW. For instance, I've used the Steinberg UR22 USB audio interfaces (two input channels, around $200 USD), and it comes with a free version of Cubase that'll probably do everything you need and then some.

These are all just suggestions as there's no one right answer for everyone. It's the approach I use, but there are certainly lots of other ways to do things.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• Aloha from Hawaii!

'19 Relish Eucalypt Mary | '17 PRS McCarty 594 | '15 PRS 408 | '96 PRS Custom 22 | '78 Les Paul Custom | '19 Silver Sky

Kemper Toaster | Rack | Remote

Friedman ASM-12 | Atomic CLR Neo Mk II Wedge | ValveTrain Powertrain Studio 20