Simulating pickups and guitars?

• I am a scientist and great fan of kemper: I wonder whether it is possible to simulate different pickups or guitars much as different amps

- Let's say we replace the noise during amp profiling by specific tones (all tones on a guitar scale)

- Then we build a mechanic device that mimicks playing the same tones on a real guitar.

-> Would it be possible to compute the specific guitar and pickup sound characteristics, much as the specific sound of the amp?

-> So anyone can hear how it sounds when would be playing Page's Nr. 18):love:8)

• Hey,

I recently played around with creating my own acoustic simulator (

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    ) . This could work for your idea as well.

Let's say you own a Les Paul with a Humbucker and a Stratocaster with a single coil and want more beef on the bridge Pickup on you Strat.

Suggested setup.

1. Record the Same Chordprogression on both guitars (see video link above)
    2. Tonematch the Strat Signal to your Gibson signal.
    3. Then Put your DAW in the look when profiling your amp (like a Stomp Box EQ )
    4. Done

Problems:

1. If you want to apply this to an existing profile you would need two Kemper amps (one Amp profiling the other kemper)
    2. This method will result in a frequency adjustment of your Pickups in the input section. The dynamic behaviour will not be emulated so don't expect to get really close.
    3. This will only work acceptable if you use the same pickup position and the same Guitar (in this case a strat) other guitars will lead to different results.

Give it a try. It would be interesting to see what comes out.

• times ago I had a Piezo PU on a Les Paul, like this

It wasn't bad as ''acoustic simulation'' : too much thin and bright by itself, but good if played with the neck PU and rolling down the Tone control a bit.

Then it just died. It's still on that Les Paul but it doesn't works anymore.

The Kemper acoustic simultation will come soon or later so.. it's ok like this. no problem.

• Line 6's Variax guitars were the very definition of this but on a simpler level, there are some 3rd party plugins (Blue Cat Audio's ReGuitar) and even pedals (Mooer's Tone Capture) that attempt to do this in a kinda primitive fashion. Heck, I even remember seeing a programmable guitar pickup once with built in DSP designed along these lines; I guess the bottom line is the results have been modest at best but they make for fun toys to experiment with. Particularly the Tone Capture - I have one in my pedalboard as a little swiss-army knife tone solver, but I wouldn't call it a holy grail or anything like that. Neat tho!

• OK, another try, how it may work to simulate the specific sound of a specific guitar:

a) You need a mechanic device that can play guitar: It has a "left hand" that can press strings, and a "right hand" that can pick strings. Actually this is only to get rid of variance while playing tones differently at different times. Also comparing the time point of picking and the later tonal response may get you info about the attack.

b) You need a "baseline" guitar. A small block of wood with minimal resonance, a neck, and a pickup. Dommenget has a similar thing for pickup testing: http://www.dommengetguitars.com/pickups.htm

c) Put the same pickup in an LP59

Then let a) play the same tones on b) and c).

By comparing c-b, you should be able to compute the resonance profile of that particular guitar and wood.

• b) You need a "baseline" guitar. A small block of wood with minimal resonance, a neck, and a pickup. Kloppmann has a similar thing for pickup testing.

Leo Fender has built someting like that for testing Bass PU's :D

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• discussing whether and how it is possible to profile guitars and pickups, much like kemper profiling amps.

so that you can simulate how it feels playing a particular burst

or can simulate how your guitar would sound with a different pickup

Actually, I'd love to see a future profiler being able to simulate pickups or guitars

• OK, another try, how it may work to simulate the specific sound of a specific guitar:

a) You need a mechanic device that can play guitar: It has a "left hand" that can press strings, and a "right hand" that can pick strings. Actually this is only to get rid of variance while playing tones differently at different times. Also comparing the time point of picking and the later tonal response may get you info about the attack.

• so that you can simulate how it feels playing a particular burst

No sorry, ... I have 4 Custom shop, vos; aged; and bla bla bla...,... the feel is something YOU just feel When You play it!

If I'm Playing a Strat that sounds like a ''Page'' because somebody has carefully 'profiled' it,.. well I'M Still Playing a Strat.. Sorry, I can't agree. the sound May Be 99,99% Like the original But I'm Still Playng a Strat! Full stop.

My Round Belly/stomach/tummy Knows what it feels!

maybe better than my hands but and for sure than My hears.

once said that; follow the link of my first answer. they aready produced and it dosen't cost as a Kemper or as Gibson USA standard.

I've never tried it.. but I guess it do his job-

cheers

• ok, I understand: of course it is important how the guitar feels!

much like the kemper does sound excellent. but a real amp gives you a different feeling, because of vibes the kemper cannot copy, maybe with the new box?

i actally love my little vox 4 Watt amp more than my kemper, but it is really cool for making a good selection which amp to buy, from the perspective of the audience who does not feel the resonance in a haptic fashion.

It would sound like a recorded guitar, but not feel like the guitar itself.

• no no What I told You Stops Before the Output Jack of the Guitar.

Today You could almost tweak everything to sounds like almost everything..

I was referring to You and the guitar-.

Kemper is FAN-TA-STIC but it's another story.