Rig Manager library files location on hard drive?

• OK, so I finally bit the bullet and spent my whole Easter Sunday reinstalling Windows 10 from scratch onto a new hard drive. Before doing this, I found that in Windows 7, my Rig Manager libraries were stored in the Appdata folder on my C: drive, so I copied them to one of my secondary drives. I'd like to put them back now so I have all those profiles and rigs, but I'm not exactly sure where to put them, since it seems to have changed in Windows 10.

I tried adding a new folder under Local Library in Rig Manager to see if it would show up somewhere as a folder, but if it did, I can't find it. I suspect that they aren't real "folders" in the Windows OS sense, but merely entries in a DB file.

I did find a "Kemper Amps" folder under Documents, with a subfolder for RigManager and another subfolder below that called Autobackup. I've tried copying my old folder called Local Library into the RigManager folder, but they still don't show up in Rig Manager when I reopened it.

I tried taking one of the old DB files repositoryR2.db and replacing the file LocalLibraryR2.db in the AutoBackup folder, but that didn't work either.

I also found the Kemper Amps folder under Program Files too, which also has a Rig Manager folder with subfolders for Preset Packs and Rig Packs. I tried adding my files there too, and Rig Manager still wouldn't recognize them. Looks like maybe this was the original install location and then they were copied to the Documents folder.... IDK.

Any ideas how I can get these files back where they belong so Rig Manager can find them again? And also, any idea why I can't tell Rig Manager where to store these files myself? I'd feel safer having them on one of my secondary drives instead of on my OS drive.

• You could simply do a search for *.kipr, and answer it yourself.

That would do little good as the kipr files aren't stored, the data is in .db files.

I tried adding a new folder under Local Library in Rig Manager to see if it would show up somewhere as a folder, but if it did, I can't find it. I suspect that they aren't real "folders" in the Windows OS sense, but merely entries in a DB file.

I also upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 recently. Today, I also updated the Kemper to OS7 and RM 3. I did this because I'd bought a new profile pack.

The way I get things into RM is to just drag and drop the kipr files from the Windows explorer folder onto the folder I've created in RM. I did this today, and I can see that the name of the rig pack folder I created is under the same app data folder where I'd expect it.

If you use WindowsKey + R and then enter %appdata%, it drops you into the Roaming folder, but you have to go up one level and select the Local folder. There you'll see the Kemper Amps folder. I found the new folder I'd created in RM under C:\Users\[my login name]\AppData\Local\Kemper Amps\RigManager\Local Library\Rig Packs\M. Britt\2020 Rigs. Note that Rig Packs is a folder I created under local library, not to be confused with the standard one created by RM.

You haven't mentioned what version of RM you're using. If it's the same now as it was when you saved your .db files, copying them might work. I've never tried that. However, if they were created in RM 2 and you've upgraded to RM 3 I'd advise caution as the .db file format could experience changes between versions.

The safest way, although perhaps not the most convenient, is to return to your collection of kipr files and get them back into RM via drag and drop. Or, if you did a backup of RM before moving to Windows 10, perhaps a restore would be a good bet.

In any event yes, the folders are still there, but it's unclear to me if there are any user-serviceable parts inside, so to speak, since they store the information in db files. Caveat Guitarist.

Hope this helps.

• Hi Chris,

Thanks, your post helped a lot more than the other guys! LOL!!

The info about the location is exactly what I needed..... THANK YOU!!!

I'm on RM 3 now, and the old version was 2.xx, but I copied the files over anyway and they are showing up in Rig Manager now.

So hopefully all still works OK.

I still don't get all the different "Kemper Amps" folders scattered all over the place, especially in the Documents folder...... seems like that is where the Rigs should be stored rather than the AppData folder so the are easier for users to find. Like I said, there should also be an option in Preferences to decide where you want them stored, rather than Kemper hard coding it to the AppData folder, which is normally hidden. I usually want all of my data files stored off of my C: drive in case I have to wipe the drive and do a reinstall, do a restore, etc.

• So many Windows devs use the appdata folders (there's also %programdata%) that I've just gotten used to it. If memory serves, it's what Microsoft recommends that developers do.

Of course, the road to hell is paved with Microsoft recommendations, but that's a tale for another time.

• I think it's a fine concept in theory, as long as I can define where that folder is going to be located.

But maybe this is on the Kemper developers deciding to put those files in that location rather than giving the user a way to put them where they want to store them.... ie, someplace away from the OS that is easier to back up.

• WINDOWS 10

C: \ Users \ <YOUR USERNAME> \ AppData \ Local \ Kemper Amps \ RigManager

OSX

/ Users / <YOUR USERNAME> / Library / Application Support / Kemper Amps / RigManager

I have copied the data into my Dropbox and created a symbolic link. google for MacOSX: ln -s or WIN10: mklink /J

• Like I said, there should also be an option in Preferences to decide where you want them stored, rather than Kemper hard coding it to the AppData folder, which is normally hidden. I usually want all of my data files stored off of my C: drive in case I have to wipe the drive and do a reinstall, do a restore, etc.

I made a feature request for that. Please Write your request in this threat too. Perhapst the Kempers will notice it. Link

• This was helpful, but took a bit to figure out exactly how to do it. Hope this helps someone else.

1. Shut down RIgManager
    2. Cut the RigManager folder from its original location eg. "C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Local\Kemper Amps\RigManager"
    3. Paste the folder to your desired location eg. "C:\Users\mike\OneDrive\Kemper\RigManager"
    4. Click Windows Start button and type "cmd"
    5. With Command Prompt selected, click Run as administrator
    6. Type command: mklink /J [original location] [new location]
      eg. mklink /J "C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Local\Kemper Amps\RigManager" "C:\Users\mike\OneDrive\Kemper\RigManager"

When you go to the old location, the RigManager folder looks like a shortcut, but when you open it, you can't tell the folder isn't really there. To prove it to yourself, reopen RigManager and make a change and you'll see it in both places.