Kemper - Apollo Twin and recording

• Hi there

Just thought I'd ask anyone who owns a UAD Apollo Twin or any UAD interface what plug ins you use while recording. (What style/genre you play ect. and why)

Are there any "essential" plug ins you always have on like the neve or 610? Is the kemper good enough on its own and you then just do magic in your DAW? Anything else you think is an essential purchase?

Any videos, websites or books you recommend buying?

I would love to hear from anyone that records professionally or has a top home recording set up

I hope Ive made sense too - If not Ive been in doors for 3 weeks ;)

• I have a twin. I record metal guitars mostly but play all genres. Don't use any plug-ins while recording the Kemper because I record with spdif. Love the 610, 1176, 140 for tracking vocals though.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Spdif allows me to record both the stack and the direct signal for reamping (git/stack option) in an easy way.

Also its simpler in terms of cabling.

But the analog inputs sounds ever so slightly beefier so that's also a good option.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Spdif allows me to record both the stack and the direct signal for reamping (git/stack option) in an easy way.

Also its simpler in terms of cabling.

But the analog inputs sounds ever so slightly beefier so that's also a good option.

You mean the SPDIF recorded tone is thinner and more chirurgical? Are you sure? Did you make an A/B test SPDIF/Analog inputs?

I was thinking of passing to the SPDIF output of the Kemper, I thought it could improve my tone, but your message surprised me... Is it the audio card's preamp that beef up the sound?

• Yes. The twins input does seem to color especially crunch sounds in a good way. Ever so slightly as said.

• SPDIF is the best representation of the profile. There is an extra DA than AD conversion using the analog ins. Even the Twins DA converters are far superior than the Kemper.

The Unison plugins are kinda meh, compared to the real steel ones, most of the good profiles are done on great microphones and preamps, so there is no need to do another "mic pre coloring" stage.

But hey. There are no rules, try it, if you like it that way or the other way is the only thing what matters. Most of the really cool stuff invented by "lets hook this thing up kinda silly"