Profiling an amplifier (direct profile) and it doesn't sound the same.

• So I'm trying to create some direct profiles of my Mesa Tremoverb amplifier head. My signal chain is:

Mesa Tremoverb (speaker out) -> Fryette Power Station (line out) -> Kemper profiler

So the Kemper should be getting a line level signal. Well ran a couple profiles and did the "refine profile" and it still doesn't sound as gainy, tight, and natural as the reference amplifier.

Here is an example: https://soundcloud.com/user-90…r-tremoverb-test-04212020

The first part of the clip is the amplifier head (channel 1 vintage mode, silicon diodes), the second part is the Kemper profile.

Also I was getting errors at the beginning about the reference amplifier signal being too hot and I had to turn down the master volume a bit.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

• i would try making a profile with just a basic passive DI box and comparing this with the PS profile. Although the PS is a reactive load designed to simulate the impedance of a speaker it doesn’t necessarily match the impedance curve of your speaker. I found that my Two Notes Torpedo (also a reactive load) colours the sound more than a cheap DI. Some people prefer the Two Notes version others prefer the DI. It isn’t that one is necessarily “better” than the other but they are different. Making a DI box profile would allow you to test whether or not the PS or the Kemper is causing the difference.

• I recently had trouble making a DA profile using the Kemper DI box. I suspect that it is the infamous pre- and poweramp distortion simultaneously that is giving the problem. Unfortunately my all-original JMP from ‘78 needs to be cooking and have the gain dimed to venture into VH territory and the KPA just didn’t like that through the DI. Even though I didn’t get the warning about the signal being too hot, the profile kept coming out a fuzzy, muddy, woofy mess. Studio profiles were no problem. I ended up abandoning it for another day. I have another passive DI that has 42 dB attenuation that I’ll try next time to see if it makes a difference, but I’m fearing that it won’t.

• yes the second is a bit darker, to me it sounds like the Definition parameter shoud have to be increased a little

but to be honest I Don't hear such a huge difference.

You didn't reamp, You played the same riff twice right?

It seems You hit strings closer to the bridge in the first one and closer to the neck in the second.