Headphone Recommendation

• Hello friends,

Please I need some guidance.

I bought the Kemper Rack a few weeks ago, a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 3rd Gen sound interface and a pair of JBL 305p MKii to put together in my home studio and record a few things and play as much as I can.

My little issue is that at a certain hour I can't sound very loud (mainly because of my baby), so I'm looking for good headphones, but it's a subject of research that already makes me dizzy =O.

I was thinking of buying the ATH-M50x (after many of you recommend them), but I read that for the KPA they must be of an adequate impedance, and here my problem started when investigating, because the KPA says that the output impedance in this case is 32 ohm :/, but I also want use my Scarlett (Impedance <1Ω) :rolleyes: with headphones together with the KPA or independently.

Focusrite indicates on its page the following:

- For all 1st Gen, 2nd Gen, and 3rd Gen mains powered Scarlett interfaces (6i6, 8i6, 18i6, 18i8 and 18i20) look for headphones with a maximum impedance of 250 ohms ?(.

So, what headphones will help me to function properly, both directly to the KPA and also to listen to the KPA through the sound interface if I need to mix something?

Please someone enlighten me, I read that the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohm could be useful, but I'm already confused with everything I have read ||||||.

Regards from Chile.

• I really think you're WAY overthinking this one. I've never once looked at the impedance for a set of headphones. Never even thought about it.

Personally, I'm quite pleased with my set of Sony MDR-7506.

Also - plugging direct into the KPA will sound different from plugging into your interface. My suggestion is to pick one and stick with it. I plug my headphones into my interface and virtually never into the KPA.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I really like my Sennheiser HD280 Pros with the Kemper.

I bought a pair of HD200 as an extra pair and really don't like them. Way too bass heavy and lack of clarity. I suspect they might be aimed at DJs.

• i have used ATH M50X and had no problems. The issue may come with headphones with too high an impedance causing the amp to work too hard but the KPA amp is pretty strong and can cope with most things. If the impedance is very low you may just find you need to keep the KPA volume lower than normal but the volume will still be easily high enough unless you are totally deaf.

• Lots of people I know (including here) are talking about Focal headphones and I think if you're going for a top end solution you should check them out.

If this is your job (open back):

https://www.focal.com/headphones/clear-professional/

If you want great, isolated sound and less $:

https://www.focal.com/headphones/listen-professional/

Disclaimer: I haven't tried these, but my web BS detectors are strong and I'd be really surprised if these disappointed. ?

• Hi all,

I recently tried some headphones and would like to share my experiances . I am more then aware that everybody has his own sweetspot for frequencies but maybe this helps you as your postings did help me to find a solution.

I am using a 40 years old Sennheiser HD 424 which is very flat and is fine for me, but especially the low frequencies are far from my expectiations. But I learned to deal with this and consider this in my mixes. The high frequencies are fine and for this part I can fully trust them for the mix. Anyhow I tried to find something more fitting for all frequencies.

First I tried the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro and had it for more than 6 months. It sound spectacular open and impresses a lot. But the high frequencies are so extrem upfront it made me fail in mixes and gave me trouble enjoing playing my KPA. I thought I can get used to it but gave up and sold it.

Second I tried th Sony MDR 7506 which is very popular as well. I found it's hights not as extrem as the DT 770 but the sound overall was not harmomic in my ears. For me it sounded kind of unnatural.

Third I am trying the Sennheiser HD 380 Pro. It's sound is very flat , has enough bass to make some fun and has slightly less upper mids than my old HD 424. The sound with my KPA is punchy and far from beeing harsh. Still I have to get used to the changed sound overall but currently it seems to be the wanted upgrade to my old set.

I will post an update if I have to add something and hope this review helps you in finding your solution.

Stay save!

Hudi

• I use the following phones: M50 no problems whatsoever, relatively flat but pleasing to hear at, DT770 250 Ohm, flatter but with way lower volume on the output. K701, Even more flat, recessed bass, but really detailed, can be drived properly.

Depending on the mood I use all of them, if you like the price and the sound, you cant go wrong with M50x.

The answer is 42

• With the Kemper I use the Sennheiser HD6oo expensive but very good to my ears.

But to be honest my ears are not as good as they were in my younger days.

Above 10kHz I lost almost everything.

Why are U using those expensive earphones with those bad ears I hear U ask.

Well that's because with a lot of earphones I got pain in my ears from some mid-frequenties,but not with the HD600's.

I also like the DT770's but in the long run I have problems with air-pressure because of the closed system.

• One thing I forgot to mention, DT770 are built like a freakin tank, they will last you your whole life, that is a big pro if you travel or gig with your kemper, as you always want to carry some HPhones around to tune your sound or practice.

The answer is 42

• I collect headphones amongst other things, and have particular headsets that I prefer for various tasks.

250 Ohms is a typical professional studio specification, the standard most commonly used.

On the Kemper, I have been using a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Open headphones @ 250 Ohm and they sound fine to my ears.

I am sure in my own mind the Kemper designer has produced a high-quality headphone amplifier capable of driving professionally specified headphones, that is the real point.

So, I would recommend that you think about whether you prefer or require Open Headphones or closed. That determinative factor is to my mind a more important consideration.

Where closed headphones are concerned, I usually record with Beyer DT-150’s.

But like their DT-100 predecessor, they are not the most comfortable headphones and clamp onto the head very strongly.

But they are flat sounding to my ears, widely used in professional recording studios and are thus a “de facto” standard. The salient point being I know their sound and how that sound will translate forward.

I would recommend the Beyer DT-770 closed headphones as a much more comfortable alternative. But be aware they not only feel beautiful on the head, they sound beautiful with their emphasis on accentuating the bass and treble as opposed to providing the more boringly true “flatness” of the 100 and 150’s.

Interestingly for you, the DT-770 closed headphones are available in a 32 Ohm version, an 80 Ohm version and a 250 Ohm version. So, if you are concerned about precisely matching impedance, theses will meet your requirements exactly. But as I mentioned, 250 Ohm headphones work fine with the Kemper anyway, so I wouldn’t worry so much about the impedance and focus more on whether you need or prefer, open headphones or closed for recording with microphones. I believe that to be more important.

Although I have many other well known brands, some very exotic, I find the Beyers to be the best investment bang for the buck. Especially as the professional headphones are designed to be repaired in the field, (studio) when needed, and the drivers, headbands, ear cushions and cables are all available to purchase after sale, so they can be maintained and used over a great many years indeed.

Open headphones give a sense of space and are easy to wear and use for longer periods without fatigue. But I would encourage you to try on ear / over ear, closed and open as differing types and thinking longer term about in what situations you are likely to use them before you make you final decision.