I just wanna amp with a few sounds but NO!

• Hi!

I’m finally a proud owner of a Kone in a Marshall cabinet; a linear 600 W Class D power amp; a KPA “toaster” & a morphing pedal.

I really thought that if I bought these things I could sell off my few existing amps & speakers to pay for it all & live happily ever after!

Huge Mistake?

basically if I had 10 to 15 Amp/Cab tones for Guitar that I could morph, using my Mission Pedal, to practically the same tones only louder or more overdriven (AND maybe, even, 5 to 10 Bass Amp/Cab tones for my Precision copy that I could morph, using my Mission Pedal, to practically the same tones only louder or with more compression) and if all this would come out of an actual speaker in front of me that I could hear while I tweaked the Volume or Treble a wee bit after throwing a couple of switches to turn the whole thing on then I’d be VERY happy!

but H O W?

I have initialised the Kemper & checked cables & all & connected the Power Amp to the Kone at one end & the KPA’s Monitor Output to the other but all I’m left with is a big, complicated and expensive headphone amp...

IF I could achieve what I want AND be able to record my playing direct without a mic &/or re-amp a guitar or bass track too then that’d be PERFECT

but There seems to be no one addressing this kind of situation. Surely I’m not the only person who doesn’t hanker after all the bells and whistles that I’m sure the KPA can offer and is satisfied with cost and convenience over anything else?

i’d love to have a “set and forget “mode that will let me do what I want, as mentioned here And if I want more I can just stick a pedal in front. When I look to online “beginners articles” or “101 “videos and the like there is no explanation of exactly how to connect up & configure the KEMPER and just use it as a basic amplifier only with some more channels.

I know I’m asking a lot, folks but can anyone give me a definitive final answer I can rely on & then just get on with playing my axe?

so much thanks in advance!;)

• Had you used the power amp in the past and you know it's working? What model of amp is it?

What is the output level of your Monitor out? -12db?

thanks for your questions?

Yep the amp seems fine but as for monitor level?‍♂️

I just turn up and down the right hand volumes

• Hi, I'm not entirely sure what you are asking.

First of all, can you hear your sounds through the cabinet? Are you saying the volume is too low?

If it is too low, then click output button, and scroll through to where it says monitor out level. You can control it with the knob and raise it in volume.

Dependant on how you have the kemper set, this volume can be independent to the master volume - so that could be an issue you are having.

If that isn't what you are asking - then come back to me and we can walk through step by step :)

Cheers,

Greg

PRS Custom 22's - Fender Strats - Diezel VH4 - Carol Ann OD2 - Toneking Imperial MK2 - Colin the Kemper - CLR Neo ii.

• thanks Greg

I suppose I am asking a lot, as I say, but i’ve got two types of problems? one is my sudden output problem (is there an internal battery trying to remember old settings?) while the other is just what those settings should be if I’m to use the amp in my ‘old school’ way.

-Denny

• Im really confused....

If your question is can the KPA and your set up do what you are asking, to me its a big yes...its how I use it.

If its not doing that ( which seems to be your problem) then there is clearly something wrong.

Suggest you start with connections and basic sounds, worry about morph second.

Are you getting these basuic sounds out of the KPA?

• that’s really interesting what you say about a similar way of use & I'm keen on hearing about how you go about that but The main thing is getting something from tgevspeaker rather than a pair of headphones, at least at first.

When you press the output button on the top right & scroll left and right thru the (6?)pages onscreen what are your settings, there, please?

• I don't have it in front of me.

Suggets you/we start with physical connections. What output from the KPA to the power amp, main outs? Mono or stereo? The presumably a speaker lead to the cab?

• Just to confirm...

I can hear my guitar through the headphones connected to the headphone socket

I can hear my guitar through the headphones connected to the monitor socket

I can hear my guitar through the Kone when the guitar is connected to the power amp input socket

?‍♂️

• OK

So I’ve had a whole session of plugging in and out and alternating and altering settings -more haphazard than I’d wanna be BUT I I am at last getting some sort of output! Don’t ask me if the Kemper’s speaker IRs are filtered through to the Kone or whatever as I’m at a loss to ascertain but assuming that all is well (?!) how would I best set up and “lock“ settings so that I can have my bass and guitar amp with 20 or so channels? P H E W!!

• OK

So I’ve had a whole session of plugging in and out and alternating and altering settings -more haphazard than I’d wanna be BUT I I am at last getting some sort of output! Don’t ask me if the Kemper’s speaker IRs are filtered through to the Kone or whatever as I’m at a loss to ascertain but assuming that all is well (?!) how would I best set up and “lock“ settings so that I can have my bass and guitar amp with 20 or so channels? P H E W!!

First stage is to get the profiles playing out of your set up. The reason I asked the basic questions is that the KPA is generally plug and play so I'm suprised you are having problems. The KPA is set up in a very similar way to a regular amp - it looks more complex than it is.

You need to check the output section is set up to cover off:

• Monitor output - set to Master mono
    • Monitor volume - I think you need circa -18db ( I have the powered version so dont need to set this
    • Check you volumes are not linked ( as this adds confusion - you can find this in the manual)

Once you get a decent sound and are able to choose the profiles, the next steps are:

• Set up Rig manager so you can easily "audition" the rigs/profiles you like
    • Save them in performance mode so you can easily group them into guitar settings and Bass settings.
  • First stage is to get the profiles playing out of your set up. The reason I asked the basic questions is that the KPA is generally plug and play so I'm suprised you are having problems. The KPA is set up in a very similar way to a regular amp - it looks more complex than it is.

You need to check the output section is set up to cover off:

• Monitor output - set to Master mono
    • Monitor volume - I think you need circa -18db ( I have the powered version so dont need to set this
    • Check you volumes are not linked ( as this adds confusion - you can find this in the manual)

Once you get a decent sound and are able to choose the profiles, the next steps are:

• Set up Rig manager so you can easily "audition" the rigs/profiles you like
    • Save them in performance mode so you can easily group them into guitar settings and Bass settings.

This sounds very promising!

If it’s okay with everyone and yourself i’d like to keep ya updated with what going on…!

• oK!

Well, the monitor IS set to Master Mono but the Monitor Volume was REALLY low.

I’ve just upped it to -18db, now.

Practically ALL the ‘Linked’ checkboxes were ticked so I’ve UNticked them (‘hope that’s right?!)

I’m assuming they’ll all stay that way

I believe I can “Set up Rig manager so you can easily "audition" the rigs/profiles...” OK but I’m a bit unsure about saving “...them in performance mode so (I) can easily group them into guitar settings and Bass settings.” Might need some help with that?

• Suggest 1 stage at a time...Get the point where you can hear your guitar through the amp and cab that sounds similar to that through headphones.

Setting up rig manager and performance mode is next step.

The manual is also your friend here...

• Suggest 1 stage at a time...Get the point where you can hear your guitar through the amp and cab that sounds similar to that through headphones.

Setting up rig manager and performance mode is next step.

The manual is also your friend here...

now this is getting too exasperating!!

I just turned the KPA on after doing NOTHING at all to it and now the master volume does nothing?!

I’m left with the profile’s own volume or my guitar’s to set output ?‍♂️

What’s going on..?

• now this is getting too exasperating!!

I just turned the KPA on after doing NOTHING at all to it and now the master volume does nothing?!

I’m left with the profile’s own volume or my guitar’s to set output ?‍♂️

What’s going on..?

I think that may be because you unlinked it (you said you unticked the linked box)? As you’re plugged into the monitor out, you need to go into the output menu & turn up the monitor level.