Mono/Stereo selection of Aux for each Output

• Hello,

I'm using the Aux input a lot and usually link it to more than one output. As my single Kone only can output Mono, I need to set the Aux to Mono. This means that the other outputs also get Mono although they are very capable of handling stereo.

It would be nice to be able to select for each output if the Aux should be mono or stereo.

If I have missed something in the manual, please let me know!

• You control this via the Output Sources of the outputs you use. You can choose mono or stereo sources for each output except HEADPHONES as needed.

One KEMPER Kone is driven by the MONITOR OUTPUT with Output Source set to "Master Mono". This same setting applies if you own a powered PROFILER and connect the Kone to the SPEAKER OUTPUT. That output source mixes left and right signals at the output even if you leave the Aux In at stereo.

The Aux >Mono feature is intended for a different application: You use a stereo output, but are just feeding a mono signal into Aux In with one cable, and would like to hear that mono signal on both sides of your stereo output. Aux >Mono merges left and right signals at the input.

• Well, I cannot get it to work then.

With monitor output set as Master Mono, my right Aux channel is extemely quiet. If I pan left I get what I expect.

I need to turn on AUX >Mono for the channels to be equally loud but then I cannot get stereo in headphones.

Some setting I haven’t thought of maybe?

• Check if the output source of the MONITOR OUT is really Master Mono and not Master Left. When it's set to master Master Mono it mixes left and right at original level.

Make sure your input signal for left and right has really same level. There can be issues with the cables and plugs feeding for example signals from a smart phone. But if your headphones have left and right signal at same level, this should be ok.

• Thanks for the help debugging Burkhard!

Monitor output is set to "Master Mono" as it should and the levels into the KPA are ok. I do not get any problems at all listening with headphones. Also "Aux>Mono" is off and "Monitor Stereo" is off.

So my situation then is that I can choose between getting:

- Stereo on headphones and main but left only on monitor out as I only have the one monitor out

- Mono out on all

• Please validate your assumptions and conclusions. There is no logical explanation for the situation you describe. For example exchange the left and right plugs between ALTERNATIVE IN and RETURN and see, if the issues switches from one side to the other.

• I unplugged the left aux in, meaning I only get the right aux in channel into the KPA. I now get the right channel only in my headphones but I get nothing from the monitor. It is completely silent.

The only way I can get both channels into my monitor is by checking "Aux>Mono" but then I cannot get stereo anywhere else.

• So, this means the cable is plugged into the ALTERNATIVE IN while the RETURN is idle?

How is Input Source set?

What if you plug this jack into the RETURN instead of the ALTERNATIVE IN?

At which level are Aux In >Monitor and Aux In >Headphones?

Are you using current OS 7.3.1?

What kind of jack and cable is plugged in? Is it unbalanced TS? Or is it balanced TRS?

Is the GROUND LIFT button of those inputs pressed?

• 1. Yes

2. Front input

3. Then I get the right channel in my monitor instead of the left!

4. Around 5, they've been up and down though when I have tested

5. Yes

6. It is TRS from my computer going into the L/R TS cables in the KPA, attached picture below

7. I've tried both

[Blocked Image: https://www.dlxmusic.se/storage/ma/4f3e9e5a07aa4107b9f4b9ce41e7cd8c/a89ac2c2603946c5af5e041a9fd15a31/jpg/19DB5618D6D8723DE7D6A32016E03A11BFC2C69B/550145.jpg]

• I learnt something!

What you describe is an intended simplification. If you use the Aux In stereo and MONITOR OUT with output source Master Mono it just picks the Aux In signal from the Return. Playing back music, this shouldn't be a major practical issue. Or what are you using it for?

• It becomes a problem though because I only get the one channel? It's not too big of a deal, I'll have to just switch the mono option when switching between headphones and monitor. But to me it makes no sense to use a different set of connections based on what output i choose?

• But we don't understand why that is an issue, if you feed in music from your smart phone and just hear one side on the MONITOR OUT, which is mono anyhow. Why is it so important to have a real mono mix instead of just mono right on that mono output?

• If I feed the KPA a stereo mixed backing track, I will only get the right channel.

For example. If I were to play Lamb of God's Laid to Rest from my computer, I would miss out on half of the intro as the guitar is only in the right channel. That's an extreme but there is plenty of music out there with key elements only being heard through one channel. Pretty much everything the Beatles made in Stereo is an example that comes to mind as well.

• That is what im doing. But if I for example were to play with a backing track sending it through both monitor and main, the main out would be mono.

I get it is not the most urgent feature request. But it would be nice to have the explanation you found in the manual!

• Hi,

I seems to be having the exact same issue and I don't understand why I'm having it.

What I want to achieve is being able to play guitar from the KPA using my headphones while at the same time listening to the track in Stereo from my computer ( I also use an external cabinet when I am alone in the house, but would rather use headphones most of the time). The problem I have (just like Frikeer) is that when I use my headphones connected to the jack of the KPA I am missing some guitar part when playing over specific songs, usually the intro. No matter if I use the AUX Mono toggle or not it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I use the headphone jack from my FocusRite Scarlett 18i8 which is Stereo output and connect it to the Return Input and Alternative Input of the KPA via a stereo splitter.

To test, I used this youtube video :

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I'm not able to hear the right channel no matter what I do. If I connect my headphone straight in the output jack of the FocusRite, I hear the left side of my headphone when the left portion of the music is playing, same thing for the right side, works as expected, everything in stereo.

When I connect my headphones to the headphone jack of the KPA I hear the left portion of the music in both sides of the headphone, and nothing when the right portion of the music is playing. Nothing changes when I select the Aux Mono toggle.

Not sure if it is relevant, but here are my output source

Main Output is set to Master Stereo

Monitor Output is set to Master Mono

What should I do to fix this issue?

Thanks a lot!

Hugo

• You are using headphones plugged into the HEADPHONE output of the PROFILER, which is always stereo. For stereo don't activate "Aux >Mono". Crank crank up "Aux In >Headphone", you hear the incoming signal from the RETURN just on the left side and the incoming signal from ALTERNATIVE IN just on the right side. You can test plugging your guitar cable first into RETURN and then into ALTERNATIVE IN. So your issue must be signal routing issue outside of the PROFILER.

The discussion between Frikeer and myself relates just to the MONITOR OUTPUT.

• Hi Burkhard,

The Aux>Mono toggle doesn't seem to make a difference for me, it is off for now. The Aux In>Headphone is at 10 already.

I just did the guitar tests and you are right, each jack output on the expected sides in my headphones.

While troubleshooting a bit more on my side, I believe that my splitter is the problem. I replaced the 1/4 cable I was using with a 1/8 cable with 1/4 to 1/8 jacks adapter. Using the Aux>Mono it seems to be working a lot better!

Thanks a lot for your help!

Hugo

• I thought my issue was solved, but it is not. :(

As a test, I tried to use a regular 1/8 cable with 2 x 1/4 adapters at each end. Connected one side to the FocusRite Headphone output and the other side to the AuxIn in the KPA. Now the sound I get from my computer is sometimes missing the singer in some songs (like before where the guitar was missing) or it is very muddy with a lot of reverb like effect.

I tested my 1/4 TRS splitter with a multimeter and it seems to be working fine afaik. Going from that splitter (Headphone out from the FocusRite) to the 2 AUX inputs on the KPA, do I specifically need TRS cables? I used 2 regular guitar cables and it doesn't seem to be working very well for me. Before investing in cables I would like to know exactly what I need if that's the case.

Not too sure what to do at this point, any idea?

PS_ I also tried from an iPad to the KPA AuxIn, trying to bypass the FocusRite and I get the same result.

Thanks!

Hugo

Edited once, last by hhebert ().

• When you did the guitar test, you probably plugged in your TS guitar cable - and it worked. According to the specs RETURN and ALTERNATIVE INPUT are balanced, so you could use TS as well as TRS cables.

Perhaps your 1/8 plug doesn't completely fit into its socket. But if just one instrument is missing in your mix, that cannot be a cabling issue.

The only other idea is, that you are using balanced cables, one side the hot wires are twisted - so its out of phase - and then you mix into mono and experience cancellations.

But your guitar test has proven, that the PROFILER signal chain is in order.